Donnie Darko (Blu-ray+DVD with Slipbox Limited Edition) (Arrow Video) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release Date: December 12th, 2016
Purchase Links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi
Price: £27.99 (Arrow Films) - £23.99 (Amazon UK) - £24.99 (Zavvi)
Notes: Limited to 5,000

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • Brand new 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director’s Cut from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of both cuts

• Original 5.1 audio (DTS-HD on the Blu-ray)

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

• Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut

• Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut

• Audio commentary by Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith on the Director’s Cut

• Brand-new interviews with cast and crew, including Richard Kelly and XXX

• The Goodbye Place, Kelly’s 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films

• The Donnie Darko Production Diary, an archival documentary charting the film’s production with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster

• Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly

• Archive interviews with Kelly, actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle and Katharine Ross, producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry and Casey La Scala, and cinematographer Steven Poster

• Three archive featurettes: They Made Me Do It, They Made Me Do It Too and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary

• Storyboard comparisons

• B-roll footage

• Cunning Visions infomercials

• Music video: Mad World by Gary Jules

• Galleries

• Trailers

• TV spots

• Exclusive collector’s book containing new writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials

• Limited edition packaging featuring new artwork by Candice Tripp

DETAILS:

RRP: £34.99 £27.99

Region: B/2

Rating: 15

Duration: 113 and 133 mins

Language: English

Subtitles: English SDH

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: DTS-HD 5.1

Discs: 4

Colour

1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know to be honest. It's just not making me think must own. I mean it's nice it's got a cinematic poster on one side and the other an image of Frank, some cards with Frank on them and then that make up Frank, Frank on the front, all same image slightly disappointing and fairly standard digipack holding discs. Hmm not sure. I was looking forward to it but with so many releases this month will need further thought.

Of course the artwork repeats but one can also see it positive that they printed everything both sides. Most retailers don't invest in that and leave it blank or put some promotion on it.
And the writing on the envelope got a little "early plain archive release" feeling to it :)
But I really don't care for goodies anyway and would just as happy as without it. But I adore the hardcover book though. This upgrades it to a premium release.

Of course the artwork repeats but one can also see it positive that they printed everything both sides. Most retailers don't invest in that and leave it blank or put some promotion on it.
I really don't care for goodies anyway and would just as happy as without it. But I adore the hardcover book though. This upgrades it to a premium release.

Could you please post a better picture of the book for me to help decide? :)

Could you please post a better picture of the book for me to help decide? :)

Not now sorry since it's already dark here and I'm cozy in bed :rolleyes: But of course I can do tomorrow.
But it is not the look of the book as more the fact it's a 100 page hardcover book with new writing and pictures. I don't see a lot releases with a hardcover as a booklet.
And of course, for this price. Arrow did this for quite a few releases now but it never ceases to amaze me.

Not now sorry since it's already dark here and I'm cozy in bed :rolleyes: But of course I can do tomorrow.
But it is not the look of the book as more the fact it's a 100 page hardcover book with new writing and pictures. I don't see a lot releases with a hardcover as a booklet.
And of course, for this price. Arrow did this for quite a few releases now but it never ceases to amaze me.

Not sure I want to love it as I do love the film but I mean I've got the old directors cut which has a cool lenticular I like more than the image of Frank, hmm don't know lol

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
From Arrow:
DonnieDarko is back in UK cinemas from December 17th! Catch it at the following cinemas this month.
We have more screenings planned for 2017 so stay tuned for updates.

15420822_1381385025228821_3027677054012596635_n.jpg

Reactions: Flloydo
From Arrow:
DonnieDarko is back in UK cinemas from December 17th! Catch it at the following cinemas this month.
We have more screenings planned for 2017 so stay tuned for updates.

View attachment 280597

Very cool, would love to see this at the cinema but all too far away. London would be the closest but still that's quite far just to see it

I used to live quite close to the electric cinema in Birmingham but I never went there

• Thanks
Arrow knocked it out of the park once again! Unbelievable Boxset for a bargain price!

A sturdy Boxset with beautiful art, two Digipacks with 4 discs, a thick 90-100 page Hardcover Book(let), 7 art cards (printed both sides) and a print (printed both sides).
And yes, there's also a complete new 4k restoration of both cuts of the movie on a Blu-ray, with massive bonus features.

Sorry for the direct lightning, it's already dark here. The front artwork looks of course a lot better :bag:

View attachment 280180 View attachment 280185

View attachment 280246 View attachment 280245

View attachment 280184 View attachment 280183

View attachment 280182 View attachment 280181

I've seen 2 unboxing vids now and neither showed the poster or looked like it was included.
Has all versions got that or just direct from arrow?

I'm guessing on yours it goes in the slip holder in the directors cut digibook?

• Thanks
I've seen 2 unboxing vids now and neither showed the poster or looked like it was included.
Has all versions got that or just direct from arrow?

I'm guessing on yours it goes in the slip holder in the directors cut digibook?

Yes it is in the directors cut Digibook. I don't exactly know but I'm pretty sure everybody will receive this. Since it's sealed it wouldn't make sense to produce two runs with a poster and without it.

• Helpful Post
Yes it is in the directors cut Digibook. I don't exactly know but I'm pretty sure everybody will receive this. Since it's sealed it wouldn't make sense to produce two runs with a poster and without it.

That's what I thought too but found it odd both vids missed it out.

Cheers mate

Literally going to order this in 5 days. Fingers crossed it stays

• Thanks
That's what I thought too but found it odd both vids missed it out.

Cheers mate

Literally going to order this in 5 days. Fingers crossed it stays

Of course, sounds curious. Maybe the folk who unboxed didn't found it interesting enough to show of!?
But don't hesitate in ordering, it's a hell of a release! With or without the print!

• Thanks
Of course, sounds curious. Maybe the folk who unboxed didn't found it interesting enough to show of!?
But don't hesitate in ordering, it's a hell of a release! With or without the print!

Oh I'm in love with it mate lol

Your photos are brilliant and to be honest i didnt need swaying with the photos, i had it on order anyway but had to cancel because of funds and GBs. its one of my fav films and this boxset is perfect. love the film so much i would happily buy a steel or premium steel edition too

The art alone is too good not to get it

So I'll defo be ordering on Thursday night/ Friday

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and dan8885

Your photos are brilliant and to be honest i didnt need swaying with the photos, i had it on order anyway but had to cancel because of funds and GBs. its one of my fav films and this boxset is perfect. love the film so much i would happily buy a steel or premium steel edition too

I thought so mate. You're in for a treat. Especially the hardcover book is amazing!

• Thanks
I thought so mate. You're in for a treat. Especially the hardcover book is amazing!

Yeah that looks great and the foreword by gyllenhaal etc. Exciting

This will be my first arrow box set. Actually it will be my first non steel set in a long long time

Anyway I don't want to jinx my chances lol (it will prob sell out Thursday day lol)

• Thanks
Yeah that looks great and the foreword by gyllenhaal etc. Exciting

This will be my first arrow box set. Actually it will be my first non steel set in a long long time

Anyway I don't want to jinx my chances lol (it will prob sell out Thursday day lol)

Fingers crossed and if you get it I'm sure it will not your last Arrow Boxset. Quality is amazing!

• Thanks
Mine's just arrived.

I'm sure it's wonderful, but I have a small nitpicking to do...

Considering the front of the slipbox continues the Frank image on the front... couldn't they have done the same on the spine?

Now I'm going to have "DONNIE DAF" on my shelves..

E0ntsnk.png

Not that you're daft enough to do this, but DO NOT order it from Zavvi! They're sending them out in jiffy envelopes, so mine arrived today with a nice crushed corner. :angry:

Lovely set overall though, so Amazon's slightly higher price is worth paying, even if it's just for the peace of mind knowing that it'll be packaged better. Mine also came with the poster FYI. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill and Flloydo
Not that you're daft enough to do this, but DO NOT order it from Zavvi! They're sending them out in jiffy envelopes, so mine arrived today with a nice crushed corner. :angry:

Lovely set overall though, so Amazon's slightly higher price is worth paying, even if it's just for the peace of mind knowing that it'll be packaged better. Mine also came with the poster FYI. ;)

Sorry to hear that, I thought they would of sent them out in decent packaging. Are you going to return it?

Amazons Is a pound cheaper than zavvi by they way. Been that for months too

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Received mine from Amazon today as well and it definitely has the poster included. Lovely set... the only issue I have (doesn't really bother me all that much mind you) is the repitition of the artwork over essentially the whole thing. Frank art on the cover - same Frank art assembled on the cards - same Frank art on the poster. On the reverse of the cards you have the same art that's on the individual cases.

I mean it's fine and I don't really give much of a crap about cards in ANY set.. I just think of stuff like character cards in FAC releases and think maybe they coulda had some extra character portraits done or something for a little extra variety.

Overall very pleased the movie got this kind of treatment though and I look forward to seeing it again. Haven't upgraded since the original DVD. :D