Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £15.99

E966D96B-4F0B-401D-A1D0-8341B7E55961.jpeg

17BE9183-9AB9-49D9-B12B-E0ED0DA08AF8.jpeg

5C973BF0-332E-4824-866D-5E1380F56D63.jpeg

668BA341-8F65-4EA7-88AA-B6670D30C61B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the UK Momentum 2-disc DVD release from a few years ago

This steelbook will be a 100% purchase as I not upgraded yet to the Blu-ray release

Fantastic Film
It's german audio only with english subtitles
As long as you don't mind german audio it's a fantastic film to watch with brilliant acting

Sometimes watching a film in the proper language is the best way. I have to watch Das Boot, Death Note and Initial D in their proper languages.

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
As for the title: definitely a case of "less is more" with two words into one brilliantly conveying the theme of the whole saga.
Other equally good titles (if not already used) would include DEADFALL, DEFEAT, COLLAPSE, WRECK or my favourite RUINATION - with the two words RUIN and NATION most apt considering the situation.

Of course totally different with one film fiction and the other based on a literary source but nevertheless seeing similarities and not just because of the title between DOWNFALL and the equally epic Michael Douglas film FALLING DOWN with both characters passing through the various circles of Hell until reaching their demise.

DOWN/FALL - good example of tautology where two words kind of mean the same thing as in female girl, unmarried bachelor, true fact, close proximity, dead corpse, tiny speck, ATM machine, PIM number . . . and the opposite of oxymora - living dead, plastic glasses, pretty ugly, jumbo shrimp, boneless ribs . . .

In literature a character's downfall is the result of a tragic flaw and if Hitler had been a character from literature (to join Hamlet, Oedipus, Dr. Faustus et al) I wonder which tragic flaw/character trait would be cited as his undoing.
"Definition of Tragic Flaw. Tragic flaw is a literary device that can be defined as a trait in a character leading to his downfall and the character is often the hero of the literary piece. This trait could be the lack of self-knowledge, lack of judgment and often it is hubris / pride." (Literary Devices)

Last edited:
You definitely need to hear this movie in the original language.....German....
in other languages it sounds too nice....

Just reminded me of the old quote attributed to either Frederick II of Prussia or Charles V (although could be earlier or even later).
"To my God I speak Latin, To my confessor I speak Spanish, To my subjects I speak French, To my mistress I speak Italian, and To my horse I speak German."

Reactions: Starling
Still waiting for the Extended Edition on bluray for this movie... Will this one have the EE?

EXTENDED EDITION only been released in Germany on 3-disc DVD . . . German TV movie . . . English subs for the hearing impaired for the film on disc 1 only . . . no English subs on discs 2 & 3 for the Extras:-
"Untertitel: Deutsche Untertitel für Hörgeschädigte (Colortitle), Englische Untertitel für Hörgeschädigt"

upload_2017-11-13_4-1-39.png
upload_2017-11-13_4-12-24.png
upload_2017-11-13_4-9-40.png

Theatrical vs. Extended comparison http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2698

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-13_4-7-32.png
    upload_2017-11-13_4-7-32.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Sampy
EXTENDED EDITION only been released in Germany on 3-disc DVD . . . German TV movie . . . English subs for the hearing impaired for the film on disc 1 only . . . no English subs on discs 2 & 3 for the Extras:-
"Untertitel: Deutsche Untertitel für Hörgeschädigte (Colortitle), Englische Untertitel für Hörgeschädigt"

View attachment 344174 View attachment 344177 View attachment 344176
Theatrical vs. Extended comparison http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2698

Thanks, I have the all black edition upperleft which was actually released in the Netherlands (with Dutch subs) where I live but I was hoping for an EE on bluray. Shame :(

Maybe just settle with the theatrical cut on bluray then, or stick with my dvd...

• Helpful Post
Reactions: virkia
I have never seen this before, except the one scene which I’m sure everybody has seen. Artwork looks good to me & I am intrigued enough to have pre-ordered this!