Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Criterion Collection) [USA]

Sigill

Lead Steelbook Mod
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 21, 2011
United Kingdom
Purchase here

image.jpeg

I think they mean a UK release of the film for people who don't have region A machines. Not all the Criterion titles will get UK releases. Interesting I though the UK Criterion releases would be all region but they are region Specific. So Your region A copy won't play in the UK and the UK copy won't play in the USA.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
Saw the other day that Eureka will be releasing Paths of Glory here in the UK... I guess that means there's no chance of a UK Criterion now.

Oh well, not to worry! One is better than none. :)

It's a great film mate! One of my favourite of Kubrick's earlier works! Hopefully it arrives at some point!:)

Paths of Glory is a very well executed film. The only minus point,and a little disconcerting, is the use of American accents; especially as they are supposed to be French.
Thought I'd let you both know that I picked up the Eureka release of Paths of Glory the other day and finally gave it a watch... I thought it was excellent! I'd completely forgotten what you said about their American accents though, so I got confused when they referred to themselves as the French Army lol. Really good film anyway... it's made me want to check out Kubrick's other earlier stuff now, especially The Killing, which also looks/sounds like something I'd enjoy. :)

Thought I'd let you both know that I picked up the Eureka release of Paths of Glory the other day and finally gave it a watch... I thought it was excellent! I'd completely forgotten what you said about their American accents though, so I got confused when they referred to themselves as the French Army lol. Really good film anyway... it's made me want to check out Kubrick's other earlier stuff now, especially The Killing, which also looks/sounds like something I'd enjoy. :)
Thanks Nick, it sounds good! I've been meaning to pick it up but don't know whether to wait for a price drop. These Eureka releases usually get decent discounts later on. I'm glad you liked it mate, I thought it was excellent!:)
The killing is decent, I don't think it's shot as well as Kubrick's other films though. I believe it was one of the first films to not be shot in chronolgical order. It shows some of the end scenes before the beginning. It's definatly worth checking out.:thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Interestingly maybe it's because they are more recent pressings but the likes of Kes, Paths of Glory and Solaris are getting better reviews than their American counterparts.

Thanks Nick, it sounds good! I've been meaning to pick it up but don't know whether to wait for a price drop. These Eureka releases usually get decent discounts later on. I'm glad you liked it mate, I thought it was excellent!:)
The killing is decent, I don't think it's shot as well as Kubrick's other films though. I believe it was one of the first films to not be shot in chronolgical order. It shows some of the end scenes before the beginning. It's definatly worth checking out.:thumbs:
I was waiting for a price drop too, but then I noticed it was in HMV's 2 for £25 deal, so I couldn't resist! :D

Hmm sounds interesting... what you said makes me want to check it out even more now. I see there's an Arrow release for The Killing that also comes with Killer's Kiss, so I'll keep an eye on it for a price drop. Thanks for the info mate. :)

I'm pleased you enjoyed it. woudl hate to think I recommended something and you thought it awful.
Yeah, the American accents - lol - still a very powerful film.

Personally don't think Kubrick worked on a bad film. The Killing is another pure joy Sterling Hayden is a towering presence - quite literally, he was 6 ft 5, and if the film doesn't hold you until the end I'll be very surprised.

Sterling Hayden also gives a suitably bravura peformance as Roger Wade opposite Elliott Gould in Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye - one of my favourites :)

If you haven't seen it, it comes very highly recommended. But be warned, you'll be singing and humming "It's a long goodbye . . " for months afterwards - at the very least.
longgoodbye-quad.jpg

the-long-goosbye.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill and Noodles
I'm pleased you enjoyed it. woudl hate to think I recommended something and you thought it awful.
Yeah, the American accents - lol - still a very powerful film.

Personally don't think Kubrick worked on a bad film. The Killing is another pure joy Sterling Hayden is a towering presence - quite literally, he was 6 ft 5, and if the film doesn't hold you until the end I'll be very surprised.

Sterling Hayden also gives a suitably bravura peformance as Roger Wade opposite Elliott Gould in Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye - one of my favourites :)

If you haven't seen it, it comes very highly recommended. But be warned, you'll be singing and humming "It's a long goodbye . . " for months afterwards - at the very least.
View attachment 277291

View attachment 277290
If I (or anyone for that matter) did end up not liking it, then I reckon it'd say more about me/them than yourself mate... I couldn't possibly understand how anyone wouldn't like it! I need to revisit a few of Kubrick's films... I wasn't a fan of Strangelove or Eyes Wide Shut, but I think I was probably too young and so didn't really get them at the time.

Funny you should mention The Long Goodbye... after my recent Eureka and Criterion haul from HMV, I realised I have a stack of Arrow titles that I still need to check out, TLG being one of them! If I find the time, then I'll give it a watch over the weekend. Obviously I'll report back to let you know what I thought... likewise with The Killing when I get around to picking it up.

Thanks for the recommendations! :thumbs:

Reactions: JackRegan
I was waiting for a price drop too, but then I noticed it was in HMV's 2 for £25 deal, so I couldn't resist! :D

Hmm sounds interesting... what you said makes me want to check it out even more now. I see there's an Arrow release for The Killing that also comes with Killer's Kiss, so I'll keep an eye on it for a price drop. Thanks for the info mate. :)
The killers kiss isn't quite as good but it's still worth checking out as it comes free with the Killing! Lol! It was a pretty low budget film with a lot of the shots being handheld. It's still has that Kubrick feel though. I do prefer his later films but anythjng from Kubrick is worth checking out! His films were always visually stunning!:)

• Thanks
The killers kiss isn't quite as good but it's still worth checking out as it comes free with the Killing! Lol! It was a pretty low budget film with a lot of the shots being handheld. It's still has that Kubrick feel though. I do prefer his later films but anythjng from Kubrick is worth checking out! His films were always visually stunning!:)
Haha yeah, I may as well give it a watch since it's included. Good or bad though, I plan to check out all of his stuff eventually... even Fear and Desire which I heard is pretty terrible. I love the majority of his later films too... I can't believe how modern they look, even now. He was definitely ahead of his time!

• Thanks
Haha yeah, I may as well give it a watch since it's included. Good or bad though, I plan to check out all of his stuff eventually... even Fear and Desire which I heard is pretty terrible. I love the majority of his later films too... I can't believe how modern they look, even now. He was definitely ahead of his time!
Haha yeah I still can't believe how many things he got right with 2001! The video calling, the look of earth considering he was making this up himself! It was pretty accurate! He was a genius! I must admit Fear and Desire is pretty bad, I picked up the Masters of Cinema edition but I moved it on again! Lol. It really didn't feel like a Kubrick film and that's the only film of his I can say that doesn't. It's worth a watch for curiosity if you are checking out all his early works though!:)
I agree about Eyes Wide Shut mate, I still can't love that one. It's shot amazingly but the story is lost on me. I've tried a few times and I will no doubt give it a shot at another point. I find with most Kubrick films it takes a few watches to really understand it!

• Thanks
Haha yeah I still can't believe how many things he got right with 2001! The video calling, the look of earth considering he was making this up himself! It was pretty accurate! He was a genius! I must admit Fear and Desire is pretty bad, I picked up the Masters of Cinema edition but I moved it on again! Lol. It really didn't feel like a Kubrick film and that's the only film of his I can say that doesn't. It's worth a watch for curiosity if you are checking out all his early works though!:)
I agree about Eyes Wide Shut mate, I still can't love that one. It's shot amazingly but the story is lost on me. I've tried a few times and I will no doubt give it a shot at another point. I find with most Kubrick films it takes a few watches to really understand it!
Good shout... 2001 is the perfect example! No way does that film look almost 50 years old... it's almost on par with sci-fi films that are released today. Such a stunning and realistic looking film! I'm ashamed to say that I absolutely hated 2001 when I first saw it though... I didn't understand it one bit. Thankfully I managed to convince myself to give it another go 5 years or so later and ended up loving it. I'm hoping it'll be the same case with Strangelove and Eyes Wide Shut, as it's been a while since I first saw them. I completely agree with you about EWS anyway... it has Kubrick's eye for amazing cinematography all over it, but the story did nothing for me. I'm in no real rush to check out Fear and Desire, because it really does sound quite bad... especially after what you just said lol. The full thing is available on Youtube though, so at least I can watch it for free. I still need to give Lolita and Barry Lyndon a watch too... have you seen those ones mate?

• Thanks
But 2001 is an unusual film in that Stanley Kubrick supervised the Criterion laserdisc but the recent blu-ray bares no resemblance to the Director approved laserdisc. The colours in particular are totally different from the laserdisc so I have to wonder what the criteria is for restoration in some releases.

Good shout... 2001 is the perfect example! No way does that film look almost 50 years old... it's almost on par with sci-fi films that are released today. Such a stunning and realistic looking film! I'm ashamed to say that I absolutely hated 2001 when I first saw it though... I didn't understand it one bit. Thankfully I managed to convince myself to give it another go 5 years or so later and ended up loving it. I'm hoping it'll be the same case with Strangelove and Eyes Wide Shut, as it's been a while since I first saw them. I completely agree with you about EWS anyway... it has Kubrick's eye for amazing cinematography all over it, but the story did nothing for me. I'm in no real rush to check out Fear and Desire, because it really does sound quite bad... especially after what you just said lol. The full thing is available on Youtube though, so at least I can watch it for free. I still need to give Lolita and Barry Lyndon a watch too... have you seen those ones mate?
Pretty much the same here mate. I watched 2001 but didn't get all the fuss. I watched it again later on and now I appreciate it more! There's a lot going on even though it seems like nothing much is happening. So many people have different theories on the true meaning, it's interesting to read everyone's different takes on it!

I have mate, Barry Lyndon was quite good. The film is another visual masterpiece! It's a period piece so you need to be in the right mood though! It's also very long at nearly 3 hours! It's definatly worth checking out though. Lolita I didn't enjoy as much, I know it was controversial at the time but it did feel a little dull to me. I haven't watched it for a long time now so I do need to check it out again and see if I like it any more with another viewing!:)

• Thanks
Pretty much the same here mate. I watched 2001 but didn't get all the fuss. I watched it again later on and now I appreciate it more! There's a lot going on even though it seems like nothing much is happening. So many people have different theories on the true meaning, it's interesting to read everyone's different takes on it!

I have mate, Barry Lyndon was quite good. The film is another visual masterpiece! It's a period piece so you need to be in the right mood though! It's also very long at nearly 3 hours! It's definatly worth checking out though. Lolita I didn't enjoy as much, I know it was controversial at the time but it did feel a little dull to me. I haven't watched it for a long time now so I do need to check it out again and see if I like it any more with another viewing!:)
2001 is definitely pretty mind-boggling, and I think that's what I like most about it... how it allows you to interpret things your own way, rather than feeding the real meaning to you.

I've heard nothing but great things about Barry Lyndon, and I've even owned it on blu-ray for some years now, but I just never got around to watching it... I think the point you made about having to be in the mood for a period piece could be part of the reason why. As for Lolita, the plot description (the fact he's basically a paedophile) always kind of put me off... I will watch it sooner or later though.

I've actually been in a Kubrick mood since watching and loving Paths of Glory, so I may get Barry Lyndon watched in the next few days, and possibly even give Strangelove another shot! :)

• Thanks
2001 is definitely pretty mind-boggling, and I think that's what I like most about it... how it allows you to interpret things your own way, rather than feeding the real meaning to you.

I've heard nothing but great things about Barry Lyndon, and I've even owned it on blu-ray for some years now, but I just never got around to watching it... I think the point you made about having to be in the mood for a period piece could be part of the reason why. As for Lolita, the plot description (the fact he's basically a paedophile) always kind of put me off... I will watch it sooner or later though.

I've actually been in a Kubrick mood since watching and loving Paths of Glory, so I may get Barry Lyndon watched in the next few days, and possibly even give Strangelove another shot! :)
Awesome @Noodles! If you do give them a watch let me know what you think!:)

• Thanks