Edge Of Tomorrow - All You Need Is Kill (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Amazon JP Exclusive) [Japan]

domalorite

Premium Supporter
Sep 25, 2012
Retired
Release date: November 12, 2014
Price: ¥ 3,667
Purchase Link: All You Need Is Kill

01.jpg

02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since no one will post open pics of this, I'll share mine, few with flash and with out. Not really good at taking epic pics of steelbooks lol

@Actarus I don't have the Korean copy, but I would assume spot gloss would make it a better looking copy. I could only imagine what this copy could look like if it was full gloss, spot gloss or a better metal finish. It just seems like a plain matte finish which doesn't really bother me. Some people have said in the nova thread that the spot gloss was barely noticeable while others said they are crazy if they can't notice it.

Doesn't matter to me, bottom line is: the one I got says all you need is kill! The kill in red looks way, way better than the red tomorrow.

@Actarus I don't have the Korean copy, but I would assume spot gloss would make it a better looking copy. I could only imagine what this copy could look like if it was full gloss, spot gloss or a better metal finish. It just seems like a plain matte finish which doesn't really bother me. Some people have said in the nova thread that the spot gloss was barely noticeable while others said they are crazy if they can't notice it.

Doesn't matter to me, bottom line is: the one I got says all you need is kill! The kill in red looks way, way better than the red tomorrow.

Thank you for those gorgeous pics, the disks are so nice. Yes I put them side by side and to be honest I couldn't see the difference in terms of ''spot gloss'' with the Korean Copy, they look the same. I did notice however that the Korean Copy the steel is bulkier, the Japanese one is thinner... only thing I notice. I have several different copies of this one but I will open a Japanese one just for the disks. I have been debating, I'm glad you did but opening one is difficult lol. Glad you got the guts. And I agree in terms of the title and Disks plus didn't find difference in the finish, it's my favorite copy. And even if there would be a slight difference, I like Matte Finish steelbooks so also doesn't bother me. Funny you mention it I never noticed the KILL being in Red, how could I have missed this. happy that this one has original Title, it's so much nicer.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicblue
A lot of people keep mentioning the price and in the steelbook world its like saving pennies..

Nova is 40.99 + 12 ship = $53

Now I paid $58 + $9.50 ship (and $2 gift wrap, not including this)= $67.5

Grand total of $14.5 more. Let's not mention the one day shipping..for $9, thing teleported here from Japan, seriously.

However, it's totally up to you (the collector). I won't buy more than one copy of a steelbook unless its drive (this might change in the future). I hate 3D logos. The quarter slip from nova is cool. Though, I open mine and shove j-cards in a shoebox. Art cards and post cards are overplayed, don't care about these anymore.

Spot gloss with 3D logo vs unique comic book title for $14 more. $14. Not $50.

@Actarus Yeah, I open all of mine. I don't see myself selling my collection. Hell, I still have all my pokemon, yugioh and football/baseball cards sleeved up in my closet from when I was a kid. I'll assume the steelbooks will eventually fade away too and be replaced by another thing that interests me (hope not for a loong time!) I just collect for fun and I like to open them up and look at them every now and then and of course watch the movie :p

More importantly, all you need is kill is ocd mint and I am happy for that :D

A lot of people keep mentioning the price and in the steelbook world its like saving pennies..

Nova is 40.99 + 12 ship = $53

Now I paid $58 + $9.50 ship (and $2 gift wrap, not including this)= $67.5

Grand total of $14.5 more. Let's not mention the one day shipping..for $9, thing teleported here from Japan, seriously.

However, it's totally up to you (the collector). I won't buy more than one copy of a steelbook unless its drive (this might change in the future). I hate 3D logos. The quarter slip from nova is cool. Though, I open mine and shove j-cards in a shoebox. Art cards and post cards are overplayed, don't care about these anymore.

Spot gloss with 3D logo vs unique comic book title for $14 more. $14. Not $50.
How was the price $58 before shipping if it's 7,333 yen?

Mine arrived too! Crappy phone pics to follow. Love the title on it. Would have preferred debossed but I'm glad I got this one...
image.jpg

...except misaligned spine! Ugh!
image.jpg

@Actarus Yeah, I open all of mine. I don't see myself selling my collection. Hell, I still have all my pokemon, yugioh and football/baseball cards sleeved up in my closet from when I was a kid. I'll assume the steelbooks will eventually fade away too and be replaced by another thing that interests me (hope not for a loong time!) I just collect for fun and I like to open them up and look at them every now and then and of course watch the movie :p

More importantly, all you need is kill is ocd mint and I am happy for that :D

@nicblue you know after reading your post it got me started thinking, I've been collecting many different copies of this movie, my Favorite one is the one from Japan and I am more the OCD type who likes, get a high, by keeping my copies sealed, and I do double dip... but you are right was thinking I am not gonna resell mine, all I got is for me and I should start enjoying them a bit more. I don't think I would go as far as you to open them all as I do collect Amaray Slipcover Blu-ray copies as well(the Amaray slipcover of All You Need Is Kill is STUNNING 2nd nicest looking Amaray after Maleficent 2D+3D combo black and White Limited Edition KD Media(so stunning much thought was put in that release first time I buy a blu-ray and slip cover is totally different from the Amaray Case Art work inside so Unique) so I usually open those... but cracked open a small steel tonight, nothing amazing although I do LOVE the steel and I LOVE MATTE FINISH. I think it depends on the release, I think the Divengent UK looks better Glossy but the Divengent FS looks better Matte, rewatched the movie and enjoyed looking at the steel and all the details...

I pre-ordered mine as well first day it came live and it cost me like 86$US expensive but worth it, Amaray was not cheap either.

@Ask I think your crappy phone photos are better than mine, mine are really crappy still have an old phone 1.3 megapixel but takes aweful pictures. I took some in the Slipcover section of the Amaray of All You Need Is Kill and they are so Grainy. I have to get something better to show pics as it is nice when people take the time to show us pics that can help us make our decision in getting a release or not.

I'll recheck my copy but I think it looks the same(spine) and pics are clear noting as awful as my phone takes

Last edited:
Reactions: Ask
Since no one will post open pics of this, I'll share mine, few with flash and with out. Not really good at taking epic pics of steelbooks lol

To me it looks like the same washed out image as the a Target edition. Is the finish super smooth or is there a rough texture to it (again, like the Target edition)
To me the Spot Gloss on the Korean release is very noticeable, due in part to the contrast of the super smooth matte lacquer finish.

Reactions: psychoscot
@Blu-devil it seems like a normal matte finish, comparing your pics from the target thread..it seems this one is a little bit better. It says made in Denmark on the back...people seem to flip when steels are made in Denmark. Cookies for that at least? If you have target lone survivor, it is not that bad.

@Actarus I'm glad you opened it up :) I have no problems or anything with people who keep steelbooks sealed. I totally understand why they do too. and I believe @Ask was referring to the spine being off-center. Judging by his pic, his spine looks to be more to the right. Mine seems to be okay though. If anything, it's a tad to left and that's more ocd then I'm willing to go at the moment lol.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Ask and Blu-devil
@Blu-devil it seems like a normal matte finish, comparing your pics from the target thread..it seems this one is a little bit better. It says made in Denmark on the back...people seem to flip when steels are made in Denmark. Cookies for that at least? If you have target lone survivor, it is not that bad.

@Actarus I'm glad you opened it up :) I have no problems or anything with people who keep steelbooks sealed. I totally understand why they do too. and I believe @Ask was referring to the spine being off-center. Judging by his pic, his spine looks to be more to the right. Mine seems to be okay though. If anything, it's a tad to left and that's more ocd then I'm willing to go at the moment lol.

Yes Indeed Scanavo Denmark = Quality ... but I see the off centre spine now, can't believe that this past quality control...

I don't think it is normal matte finish as Divergent FS is normal Matte, this one is smoother than that...really like this release. But will I have the guts to open it, can't even bring myself to open the Amaray it's so beautiful. But I need to see those custom made disks in hands :p

by the Misaligned spine do you mean the hole at top end of the steelbook ? if so both Korean Version have the same hole also, looks similar

@nicblue is correct - the spine is slightly to the right at the top. Aligns well enough at the bottom. I only sweat it when I think about the price tag. :rolleyes: The title is sweet. Can't wait to display this one when I have friends over. Should be a fun topic of conversation. :thumbs: