Ender's Game (Blu-ray SteelBook) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

Release Date: March 10th, 2014
Price: £15.99 (instore purchase only)
GBs hosted by: HUBMUSWELL or Naughtius Maximus (no security tags)
Notes: Region B, Limited edition of 4000, Gloss finish, Debossed title, and logo on the reverse. The art is designed by Mondo

View attachment 61956

More pics (thanks to ricster)

SPECS:
As per this link http://uk.eonefilms.com/news-events/ender-s-game

Audio + Subtitle languages: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio/2.0 Stereo. Subtitles: English SDH
Region: B

Studio eOne
Title: ENDER’S GAME
Certificate: 12
Genre: Sci-fi/ Action
Runtime: 114 minutes
Format: Blu-ray / DVD

SPECIAL FEATURES
· Audio Commentary by director Gavin Hood
· Audio Commentary by producers Gigi Pritzkerand Bob Orci

· Deleted/Extended Scenes (with optional audio commentary by Gavin Hood)
· BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE: Ender's World: The Making of Ender's Game

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this left over HMV stock or a reprint?
HMV are just a retailer
The Film Studio/Distributor is Entertainment One
Most likely left over stock

The exclusive period most likely expired with HMV as most exclusives have a expire date which is usually a year and the film studio can then offer the stock not sold to other retailers
They also can if they decide to do so re print but in most cases they only do that if it was very popular and previous exclusive sold very well
From what I have seen that did not happen with this release and is most likely just un sold leftover stock

This is been sold with a few online retailers at this moment in time since last week

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: terry44
Thanks for the heads up. I actually saw this in the morning when ordering Oz and was about to order at $29 USD but decided against it. Glad they dropped the price down a lot! Film was decent but not worth it at the price earlier today, but at $15 US...why the heck not. Ordered with vouchc5 code for another 5% off.

Reactions: DJ IXS and inu028
Just spotted it on Zavvi too (along with Red 2) so I gather HMV couldn't shift them all. Wonder if some of the other HMV exclusives will pop up for a good price in the coming months

Seems odd, my local HMV haven't had this in stock for months so presumed it had sold out. same with red 2.
Add to that, how Rush was 'sold out' for a year then suddenly there are enough copies for everyone.
Can we hope that frozen appears again either on zavvi or the Disney rewards site?
I wonder how many unopened boxes of steelbooks are sitting in warehouses around the world?

The two HMV's near me in London could not get this at all - sold out pretty much on the day it came out and no luck getting from them since. seems odd popping up cheap on zavvi (makes you wonder if they were return as faulty (dent, scratch, etc). I picked one up of ebay a while back so not still in the hunt.

I wonder where all these steelbooks come from. Rush for example is still in stock. I guess these are re-issues. No way that these numbers have been found somewhere in the attic....

I wonder where all these steelbooks come from. Rush for example is still in stock. I guess these are re-issues. No way that these numbers have been found somewhere in the attic....
HMV Exclusive deal was for 1 year
That expired last week

That's why its now available from Zavvi and other retailers its no longer an exclusive to a retailer

It may be surprising but this steelbook did not sell very well and stock was still available with HMV
Entertainment one the film distributor made stock available when the exclusive deal expired with HMV

HMV exclusives with no UK on-line shop to purchase like in the past from is what causes HMV be left with stock and not all HMV shops stocking steelbooks don't help them sell steelbooks leaving lot of stock been unsold as its not in all their shops

Rush is a different mater that was not an exclusive it was trade wide release and I cant comment if that was stock found or a re print but I suspect with Rush its was a re print but cant prove it

HMV have though with The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) made this possible to purchase online in UK and Ireland
See my post in that thread

And of course Zavvi has to snap up the opportunity to sell this as opposed to other online retailers like Amazon. So not only can they be awarded with the title 'flooder of the steelbook market' and now 'seller of Steelbooks of steels outside of their exclusivity periods' or 'seller of reprinted steels'. Interestingly enough, why aren't long sold out Zavvi exclusives making it to HMV as an example? I guess their exclusives are excluded from the process of expiring Exclusivity clauses. Do all the film distributors say all leftovers are Zavvis?

Zavvi irk me. They put out some good steels but their clear business model is to release the crap out of catalog titles just because they are 'highly collectible'. They must have a different meaning of highly collectible from those who know what a true collector's item is.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, why aren't long sold out Zavvi exclusives making it to HMV as an example? I guess their exclusives are excluded from the process of expiring Exclusivity clauses. Do all the film distributors say all leftovers are Zavvis?
Probably because they were actually sold out, some Zavvi exclusives have made it to other retailers, some Arrow titles (The Beyond) and I'm sure The Toxic Avenger quickly appeared everywhere else within a few months of release. I do wonder if the Studiocanal titles will appear elsewhere as they struggle to sell.

Probably because they were actually sold out, some Zavvi exclusives have made it to other retailers, some Arrow titles (The Beyond) and I'm sure The Toxic Avenger quickly appeared everywhere else within a few months of release. I do wonder if the Studiocanal titles will appear elsewhere as they struggle to sell.

Some Zavvi exclusives made it Amazon like Toxic Avenger which couldn't sell out on any retailer site. What about Gone Baby Gone, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I Saw The Devil, A Clockwork's Oragne, Swingers, The Avitor, The Woman and 3:10 to Yuma. Maybe for sale through the secondary market on Amazon but they are not listings on the Amazons for example unless sold in the seconday market. Perhaps their exclusivity clauses aren't expired.

If exclusivivity grants expire after a certain period, why not allow other UK retailers outher than Zavvi to sell these exclusives directly on their retail links. Seems like Zavvi is the only retailer that can vacuum up competing retailers exclusives but it doesn't go the other way around for the most part (unless in the secondary market). Just my two cents.