Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: April 27th, 2015
Purchase link: HMV (UK shipping only)
Price: £22.99
Group Buy: Naughtius Maximus

01-31787.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't to sure of this when I seen it in the pics thought it was abit to long. 3d was disappointing as well

Was in store earlier today, could of preordered it then if I'd known. Darn.
Will have to do so when I pick up Fury in a couple of weeks time.

I am quite up for this, interested in seeing the artwork but I think this time around I will wait a month or 2 for it to drop in price. I imagine it will be around the same price as days of future past

The problem I have with HMV releases are if they are damaged under the J-card they are really funny about doing anything about it, they don't seem to get it! I've been told by the manager the last one I exchanged will be a one off and he won't do it again for me!

I was somewhat disappointed when I saw this at the cinema and I speak as an admirer of Ridley Scott. I even liked both "Prometheus" and "The Counsellor".

The special effects depicting the plagues that beset Egypt were superb but, ultimately, I found the film wanting compared to Cecil B. DeMille's "The Ten Commandments" (1956). I'm not a religious person but I think that to be effective in telling a biblical story, you have to go for broke and actually show the events to have been the work of God, rather than trying to rationalize them for a modern audience.

The biggest problem I had was the casting of the two leads. In portraying such larger than life characters as Moses and Rameses the Great, you need actors of a similar stature. That was achieved in the earlier film with Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner but both Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton in the newer film just couldn't compete. Both can be fine actors but in this film they seemed miscast.

As a completist, I may well end up getting this when the price is right. I would, however, prefer a new Steelbook release of "The Ten Commandments", preferably with the original poster art. I have the earlier French Steelbook release but apart from the title being in French, it also lacks interior artwork, while the front artwork is identical to that of the standard international releases, instead of the original poster art. Surprised actually that Paramount haven't tried to cash in on Fox's release by recycling their own.

Excellent release :cool: :thumbs:

...but HMV is a big fat (n) (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

I was somewhat disappointed when I saw this at the cinema and I speak as an admirer of Ridley Scott. I even liked both "Prometheus" and "The Counsellor".

The special effects depicting the plagues that beset Egypt were superb but, ultimately, I found the film wanting compared to Cecil B. DeMille's "The Ten Commandments" (1956). I'm not a religious person but I think that to be effective in telling a biblical story, you have to go for broke and actually show the events to have been the work of God, rather than trying to rationalize them for a modern audience.

The biggest problem I had was the casting of the two leads. In portraying such larger than life characters as Moses and Rameses the Great, you need actors of a similar stature. That was achieved in the earlier film with Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner but both Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton in the newer film just couldn't compete. Both can be fine actors but in this film they seemed miscast.

As a completist, I may well end up getting this when the price is right. I would, however, prefer a new Steelbook release of "The Ten Commandments", preferably with the original poster art. I have the earlier French Steelbook release but apart from the title being in French, it also lacks interior artwork, while the front artwork is identical to that of the standard international releases, instead of the original poster art. Surprised actually that Paramount haven't tried to cash in on Fox's release by recycling their own.

I wont be seein this until i get the steel, but I think u kinda do the film a disservice viewin it as a "remake" rather than as a individual film in its own right, especially when the story is not the property of Charlton Heston & "The Ten Commandments", but is a story taken from events of the Old Testament, which can be re-told and interpreted in many different ways. :pompus:

Also, in its depiction of the events i dont think its so simple my friend …for example, there are many religious people who think the notion of "God" as being a old white man with a long beard and a golden throne as an incredibly dumbed down childish notion…… like the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus :cat:

Excellent release :cool: :thumbs:

...but HMV is a big fat (n) (n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

I wont be seein this until i get the steel, but I think u kinda do the film a disservice viewin it as a "remake" rather than as a individual film in its own right, especially when the story is not the property of Charlton Heston & "The Ten Commandments", but is a story taken from events of the Old Testament, which can be re-told and interpreted in many different ways. :pompus:

Also, in its depiction of the events i dont think its so simple my friend …for example, there are many religious people who think the notion of "God" as being a old white man with a long beard and a golden throne as an incredibly dumbed down childish notion…… like the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus :cat:

My post was merely an expression of my feelings upon seeing the film, a film which I saw twice because sometimes one's first impressions can be deceptive.

I purposely did not state it was a bad film because it isn't. I merely stated that I, personally, found it wanting in comparison with "The Ten Commandments". I also never stated that the newer film was a remake of the earlier one although they both tell the same story, albeit from different perspectives.

Also, as far as God is concerned, I merely stated that I thought it better in a biblical epic to go for broke and actually depict the events as being the work of God rather than rationalize them for a modern day audience. I certainly wasn't advocating God actually making an appearance. Even in the earlier film, Cecil B. DeMille was very careful not to fall into that trap.

Ultimately, it's all down to personal taste. If we all thought the same and had the same likes and dislikes, it would be a very boring world.

Pleasure exchanging points of view with you.

Yeah...I'd go for a new TTC steelbook.
This does not work for me...
image.jpg

Reactions: augustus
@augustus i just thought the "Ten Commandments " argument needed a counterpoint, as some here will jus latch onto that simple comparison and wont think or look any deeper. all good mate :thumbs:

I'd be be very interested in continuing this discourse with you once you've seen "Exodus: Gods and Kings" and made your own comparisons with "The Ten Commandments".

A friend and I ended up chatting about these two films for about an hour, weighing up the pros and cons of each. It makes for an entertaining discussion.

Reactions: SaberTooth