Favorite horror director?

• Hello Guest, this site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. To read more about how we use them, please visit this page
  • The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) takes effect on May 25th 2018! Read more about how it impacts you

Manqu

Contributor
Premium Supporter
Oct 29, 2014
Reactions
11,921 0 0
I have to correct myself . I donĀ“t have a fav Director. A lot of great movies has been directed by so many Directors.

Last edited:

Sigill

Lead Steelbook Mod
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Jan 21, 2011
United Kingdom
Reactions
28,863 0 0
There's a few,
John Carpenter,
Dario Argento,
David Cronenberg,
Stanley Kubrick (I know he only made one horror but The Shining is the best horror movie ever made IMO).:)

rj531

Rock Ninja/Steelbook Contributor
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Dec 30, 2011
Up North Canada
Reactions
13,989 0 0
1. Wes Craven
2. John Carpenter
3. Sam Raimi
4. David Cronenberg

Ricker

Special Projects
Premium Supporter
Aug 24, 2011
Buxton Maine
Reactions
14,909 0 0
My favorite is the late great Wes Craven. He gave us so many campy fun horror films. Remeber Deadly Friend, so bad it was awesome. The People under the Stairs another fun movie he had his hand in
wes.jpg

Jul 21, 2013
UK
Reactions
1,593 0 0
My current fav is James Wan.
Legends include: Wes Craven, John Carpenter, Sam Raimi, Clive Barker.
Not strictly horror but a legend non the less, Hitchcock.

cooey

Social Media Manager
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Jan 5, 2012
UK
Reactions
39,627 16 0
It's a tough one..... John Carpenter...Wes Craven...Clive Barker....David Cronenberg

Paperinukke

Studio Ghibli Ninja
Premium Supporter
Apr 13, 2014
Finland
Reactions
2,761 0 0
I thought I had answered, but seems that I haven't.

I'd first say Hitchock and Kubrick, even though they ain't really "horror directors" they still influenced the genre a lot. Wes Craven and John Carpenter are naturally legends too. From modern horror directors I want to give my appreciation to Guillermo Del Toro (especially his productions, he's a better producer and screenwriter than director), James Wan and Takashi Miike.

Oct 24, 2014
Finland
Reactions
4,681 0 0
John Carpenter number one for me. I had the pleasure to see the guy last year. I have collected all of his movies and not a long ago I finally saw the Elvis movie which was the only one I was missing. The Thing is easily my favorite Carpenter film.

Other great has to be Wes Craven. I love what he did from late 80's to early 90's, Serpent and the Rainbow, Shocker and People Under the Stairs. And ofcourse A Nightmare on Elm Street is classic. There are couple of Wes Craven films I haven't yet seen.

And ofcourse David Cronenberg. The Fly was first Cronenberg movie I saw and I was probably around 6-7 years old back then. I think my favorites are all the films he did between 1981 and 1986, Scanners, Videodrome, The Dead Zone and The Fly. Few fantastic movies much later on, A History Of Violence and Eastern Promises. There's been a lot truly great films by Cronenberg. I have seen all but the few latest ones. I really hope to see Crash (1996) on blu-ray one of the these days.

May 25, 2017
Spain
Reactions
332 0 0
Apart from the obvious classics. I must say James Wan is becoming a huge name in world of horror as well. He managed to deliver masterpieces in a age full of nostalgic horror critics. His movies are scary, intriguing, decent stories, enjoyable characters, all that mixed with his personal unique atmosphere. It just works. Please more Wan horror movies. :]

C.C. 95

The Snarky Assassin
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2014
The Land, USA
Reactions
31,173 0 0
There's a few,
John Carpenter,
Dario Argento,
David Cronenberg,
Stanley Kubrick (I know he only made one horror but The Shining is the best horror movie ever made IMO).:)
Kubrick is my favorite director- and I love The Shining....
But William Friedkin did the scariest horror ever: THE EXORCIST.
I'm a grown-ass man, and I still can't watch that without getting freaked.