Favorite SteelBook of 2014 so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
It's about that time of year again where we start a casual chat about what your favorite Steelbook is thus far. It must have been released in 2014.

See the release thread here

*Note, this is not a thread for 'nominations' for our later vote in the year-this one is just for you to chime in with your personal faves this year.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• favorite-icon.png
    favorite-icon.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 215
Last edited by a moderator:
Considering film itself, steelbook quality(especially), design, editions, gifts, customer services, price
1.KimchiDVD Amelie
2.Plain Archive The Wrestler
3. KimchiDVD Rush
4. HDzeta How to Train Your Dragon

Reactions: Bluprint
There's a few I haven't yet seen in hand, but out of the ones I have, I really like:

A.) Best Overall Artwork on a steelbook:

1.) Léon - Kimchi (Great minds, Farès!) - Had they not done the spot glossing on the names, that would easily be the nicest all matte steelbook I've EVER seen! However, since they spot glossed the names, it made this the nicest steelbook in 2014 so far in my opinion.

Honorable Mentions:

2.) Zavvi Disney Collection - Not sure I could pick a favorite out of these since they started the glossy finish again. There's something very unique about each one from the next. I love the bright vibrant colors of Hercules. I love how well the art on Robin Hood suits the movie. Although, I have a feeling that when The Rescuers releases, that it will be my favorite.

3.) Braveheart (WWA)- I was slightly disappointed that the WW emblem on the back wasn't debossed, but this is an absolutely stunning steelbook! If I was factoring in total package, then Korea would win with the slip.

4.) 47 Ronin (WWA) - How can you not love this steelbook?! Solid black, fully glossed, embossed treatment on the title...?! And the silver on black?! Simply STUNNING!!!

B.) Best Simplistic Artwork:

1.) Lone Survivor (Future Shop): It doesn't get any more simple than this. All matte, solid color (for the most part) and simple text. What impressed me the most about this steelbook was how much detail they were able to achieve with artwork alone. No embossing, no debossing; just a flat steel with lines and a slight bit of shading. The bullet holes looked debossed and there's even a couple spots that look like dents, even though they aren't. Well done Future Shop & eOne!!!

C.) Best Total Package:

1.) Rush (KimchiDVD Exclusive Full Slip) - This is, simply put, a job well done by Kimchi! Those of you who know me know that I'm not a huge Kimchi fan. However, in this case, they did nothing less than an AMAZING JOB!!! The steelbook is BEAUTUFUL! The slipbox is PERFECT with the faces of the two main actors on each cover, the shallow embossing around the two of them and the pearlescent effect on the title. And who doesn't like a limited edition?!

D.) Best Slipcover:

1.) Monster's University 3D (Blufans 2D Slipcover) - This super glossy blue on white, very simple slip had me from the start! I love it's two tone, understated look for such a bright and colorful movie!!!

E.) Best Video Game Steelbook:

1.) Mariokart 8 (Amazon.de Exclusive) - If you haven't seen this one, go to the thread for it. It's BEAUTIFUL!!! If this had been a movie, it would EASILY be my favorite for overall art!!! This one has it all! Super bright/vibrant colors, embossed title, perfect mixture of matte and gloss and the artwork suits the subject material PERFECTLY!!! I can't say enough about this beauty!!! In fact, here's a pic:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406219232.262129.jpg

It is a G1 which I know will bother some people. I don't think it matters one bit. Especially not in this case!

There are a few upcoming releases that I feel might change my mind on a few of these, but for now, these are my favorites!!!

My top 5 (that I own) so far this year:

1) Leon (KimchiDVD) - one of the first Steelbooks I got and definitely one of my favourites - coincidentally, also one of my top 5 films ever!

2) Snowpeircer (Koch Media, Italy) - spot gloss on the title & broken ice (front), debossing & spot gloss on the Wilford Industries logo (back) plus excellent inside art makes this one a real gem - easily surpassing the other Steels for it IMO.
It also comes with an additional bluray for the extras, plus a DVD version of the film too (my pics).

Here's a combo pic from axldelarge that shows off the effects it has/interior:
Snowpiercer.jpg

3) 47 Ronin (Any version) - Simple yet stunning (my pics)

4) Amélie (KimchiDVD) - Glossy with a nice choice of colours.

5) V for Vendetta (Zavvi) - Just an all round great looking Steelbook! (my pics)

Edit: Added links to respective topics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluprint
I don't think there has been one outstanding release that is head and shoulders above the rest but my favourite is the German/UK edition of The Wolf of Wall Street. The unique artwork lends itself perfectly to embossing and the gloss finish accentuates these features. The film isn't half bad either, not something that you can say about a lot of Steelbook releases.

As of now, 47 Ronin is at the top of my list.

And a few others with honorable mention go to:
V for Vendetta (Zavvi)
Mars Attacks (Zavvi)
Son of Batman (Target)

Top 10 So Far...
1. The Wrestler (Plain Archive)
2. 47 Ronin (Worldwide)
3. Mulan (Zavvi)
4. Ender's Game (HMV)
5. Léon (KimchiDVD)
6. Braveheart (Worldwide)
7. The Pianist (KimChiDVD)