Favourite Short Films

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
I just got done watching Denis Villeneuve's short film Next Floor, and it got me thinking... what are some of your favourite short films?

I love a good short and have come across some fantastic ones over the years. My mind's gone blank at the moment, but I'm sure I'll remember some of them sooner or later!

As for Next Floor (be warned, it's pretty weird and vegetarians may want to avoid it), you can check it out here...

@Noodles Just finished watching it. What do you think it's about? I mean, other than what has been shown to us...

Recently i've been following Oats Studios (Neill Blomkamp's) short films. I believe he said that whichever gets the "most watched" will get a feature length film. I've seen Rakka and Firebase. Zygote just came out yesterday so i havent watched it yet. Rakka has the most views as of now.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Noodles
@Noodles Just finished watching it. What do you think it's about? I mean, other than what has been shown to us...

Recently i've been following Oats Studios (Neill Blomkamp's) short films. I believe he said that whichever gets the "most watched" will get a feature length film. I've seen Rakka and Firebase. Zygote just came out yesterday so i havent watched it yet. Rakka has the most views as of now.

I've never given it too much thought to be honest... I basically just came to the assumption that it was about greed or something, but I'm probably wrong lol. What do you think it means? :)

I was waiting for someone to share Blomkamp's recent stuff! I've watched all three of his short films now, and I haven't been overly impressed with any of them... maybe I was expecting too much. No doubt I'll revisit them again though, and probably enjoy them a lot more. Must say that his latest one 'Zygote' is possibly my favourite anyway, but then I love Dakota Fanning! :D

Yeah, I absolutely love short films -- probably because I have a lot of filmmaker friends and they all work on short films. My brother actually has an ultra-short film in post-production right now in Toronto (it'll probably only run 1-1/2 minutes, but it's looking damn good).

Like @bloodsnake007, I'm a fan of short horror films. I highly recommend checking out the one that Franky recently posted called 'Dawn of the Deaf'. It was very, very well done. It's thread is here.

My all-time favourite short as of now is probably Kung Fury. It's the most 80s-infused CGI awesomefest that I've ever seen.

@Noodles, you might like a video that I posted a while back where my buddies and I watched and reviewed Kung Fury. We also took the iOS game for a spin.

KIN Fables was a trilogy of "epic" fantasy short films that were released a few years back. Directed by the McKinnon Brothers, KIN, SALVAGE, and REQUIEM were all successfully crowdfunded through Kickstarter. I proudly backed the series.

As for the films from Oat Studios, I haven't checked them out yet, but I definitely can't wait to do so! I'm hoping they're all released on Blu-ray after the first series is complete.

Thanks for chiming in and sharing you favourites! :thumbs:

It's currently almost 11pm here, so I'll wait until morning before I check out those scary shorts. :ohno: :p
@Noodles You're such a sissy! :oohyeah: :woot: LOL! Just kidding! :rofl:

I'd hate to scare you like this! :ohno:
giphy.gif

:D
Yeah, I absolutely love short films -- probably because I have a lot of filmmaker friends and they all work on short films. My brother actually has an ultra-short film in post-production right now in Toronto (it'll probably only run 1-1/2 minutes, but it's looking damn good).

Like @bloodsnake007, I'm a fan of short horror films. I highly recommend checking out the one that Franky recently posted called 'Dawn of the Deaf'. It was very, very well done. It's thread is here.

My all-time favourite short as of now is probably Kung Fury. It's the most 80s-infused CGI awesomefest that I've ever seen.

@Noodles, you might like a video that I posted a while back where my buddies and I watched and reviewed Kung Fury. We also took the iOS game for a spin.

KIN Fables was a trilogy of "epic" fantasy short films that were released a few years back. Directed by the McKinnon Brothers, KIN, SALVAGE, and REQUIEM were all successfully crowdfunded through Kickstarter. I proudly backed the series.

As for the films from Oat Studios, I haven't checked them out yet, but I definitely can't wait to do so! I'm hoping they're all released on Blu-ray after the first series is complete.

@tridon DUDE!!! I fu**ing LOVE Kung Fury! :drool: :cool: :notworthy:
Kung_2832a9_5565802.gif

Bring on the sequel! :woot:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
I've never given it too much thought to be honest... I basically just came to the assumption that it was about greed or something, but I'm probably wrong lol. What do you think it means? :)
Well, i guess i'm on another level :rofl: Whenever i watch something and it has a hidden message, etc or the story is unclear (purposely); my mind automatically creates a sci-fi version of it. :confused::LOL:. So yea i first thought all the meat were human parts; that these people were some sort of cannibals. So when we are shown them to be actual animals, i was like 'oh okay, so those are not humans" lol. So then i thought may be this was in the future where these animals have gone extinct and this was some sort of VIP club or some sort of game where you can taste these exotic animals. But i didnt go further beyond that.

Anyway, you're probably right though. 'Tis most likely 'bout human greed :LOL:

I was waiting for someone to share Blomkamp's recent stuff! I've watched all three of his short films now, and I haven't been overly impressed with any of them... maybe I was expecting too much. No doubt I'll revisit them again though, and probably enjoy them a lot more. Must say that his latest one 'Zygote' is possibly my favourite anyway, but then I love Dakota Fanning! :D
I just watched Zygote. Rakka is still my favorite. Zygote is a close second. So i dont mind either of them getting a feature length film. Firebase is probably the weakest of the 3. And yea, Dakota was a surprise for me! Someone mentioned on Youtube that Zygote seems too similar to Neill's vision of Alien 5 that got cancelled. It was supposed to be Ellen & Hicks on the run from a monster (Alien). He wanted to take it back to the 'survival-horror' genre. I would've loved to see that Alien movie. Too bad i guess. But if that's the case, then another reason to see Zygote get a feature length :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon