Flatliners (1990) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Mill Creek Entertainment) [USA]

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
Release date: September 26, 2017
Purchase links: Best Buy - Amazon
Price: $17.99 (Best Buy) - $10.59 (Amazon)

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 1.30.19 PM.png

flatliners.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In their defence, I got a handful of their releases (Pulse, Hudson Hawk, Hollow man 1 & 2 and Deep Rising) and all of those have been pretty decent BD's.

Their copy of Flatliners is exactly the same transfer as the Sony one (with the benefit of having MPEG4-AVC coding over the Sony MPEG2 ancient codec) but dropped the PCM 5.1 audio for Dolby Digital 2.0 instead (which was across a range of Sony titles they licenced at the time). Mill Creek only work with what they are licensed with at the end of the day. The studio is known for bargain price titles and shouldn't expect anymore from them. So this Steelbook announcement has come as a surprise to everyone really.
Definitely weird. Mill Creek making steelbooks?! Very odd. Hopefully it is cool. But, I'll let someone else spend $30 and report back.:LOL:

Can someone jog my memory but was the painting 'The Creation of Adam' by Michelangelo featured in the film?
1488Bpp

Like you, haven't watched it in a while and from the bits I remember in no rush to watch it again . . . needed a strong coffee to restore my vital signs afterwards.

RE: CREATION OF ADAM ARTWORK:
Probably . . . the section of that famous painting is in there somewhere - if not on a wall then in a stained glass window. As one of the most recognisable pieces of art on the planet from the most famous fresco on the planet by one of the gods of the High Renaissance . . there's this from IMDb:-
"The intention was to design sets and atmosphere that would symbolically represent man's eternal struggle with death. To invent this world, the collaborative team of Schumacher, De Bont, and Zanetti, all combined a variety of historical architectural styles, such as Greek, Roman, Gothic, and Renaissance ..."

RE: STEELBOOK COLOUR:-
according to IMDb the blue colour in the film is significant . . . going by that, the colour of the steelbook is unfortunate (lol):-
"Lighting in the movie is a significant predictor of what will happen in the scene. A deep orange color is usually a sign of promise and positivity, while blue usually means something bad will happen."

RE: STEELBOOK DESIGN:-
"We are thrilled to partner with SteelBook® to develop a collectible product that’ll appeal to fans of Flatliners and to collector community,” says Barrett Evans, VP of Marketing and Product Development for Mill Creek Entertainment. “We wanted to capture the film’s haunting, neo-Gothic tone and the overriding existential themes with this new artwork. The interior spread illustrates vignettes of each character’s haunted past through an all-new interpretation. We are proud of how this came together and feel it complements the artistic originality of Schumacher’s film.” (Dread Central 1/8/17)

RE: GOD(A)DAM - some of my favourite parodies here (with apologies to The Bible and to Michelangelo, of course) including the equally famous E.T. poster:-
upload_2017-8-8_22-45-38.jpeg
6a1.gif
3d0.jpg
e4c42f6a469406d2474adf7f34d76ab6--michelangelo-cat-lady.jpg
755718edbc6d73a7e2474d41a8c7148f--michelangelo-plastic-surgery.jpg
2504d9dc96d2172918215f6ea6ffffb4--michelangelo-social-media.jpg
f155ad87558de42617047adcbda858db--classic-paintings-funny-art.jpg
gif-king-12635860dfdf499007d5db422777b368.gif
d22a6fb7038d1830518a37694cc204ba--nutella-recipes-michelangelo.jpg
9a1dcd012b11807a23cd122077518283--famous-art-mona-lisa.jpg
1560d9718cd2138b97259461fb234bbd.jpg

LOL:-
GOD created the DONKEY and told him, “You will work tireless from sunrise up to sunset, carrying heavy bags on your back, you will eat grass. You will not have intelligence and you will live 50 years. You will be a DONKEY!”
The DONKEY answered, “I will be a DONKEY, but living 50 years is too much, give me only 20 years!” And GOD gave him 20 years.
GOD then created DOG and told him, “You will look after man’s house, you will be his best friend, you will eat whatever they give you and you will live 25years, You will be a DOG!”
The DOG answered, “GOD, living 25 years is too much, give only 10 years!” And GOD gave him 10 years.
GOD created the MONKEY and told him, “You will jump from branch to branch you will do silly things, you will be amusing and you will live 20 years, you will be a MONKEY!”
The MONKEY answered, “GOD, living 20 years is too much , give me only 10 years!” And GOD gave him 10 years.

Finally … ,

GOD created MAN and told him, “you will be a MAN … the only rational being on this earth and you will use your intelligence to control other animals, you will dominate the world and you will live for 20 years.”
The MAN answered, “GOD I will be a man but living 20 years is not enough, why don’t you give me the 30 years that the DONKEY refused, the 15 years that the DOG didn’t want and the 10 years that the MONKEY refused.”

That was exactly what GOD did, and since then …

MAN lives 20 years like a MAN, then he gets married and spends 30 years like a DONKEY, working and carrying the load on his back. Then, when his children leave he spends 15 years like DOG looking after the house and eating whatever is given to him. Then he gets old, retires and spends 10 years like a MONKEY, jumping from house to house or from children to children, doing silly things to amuse his grandchildren!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: K.i.T
Lovely looking steel and colours. Great finish. Cool art on the back and inside but the same cannot be said about the film.
Wonder if the remake will be as bad as this

But that steel is nice

I never thought I would buy this steelbook since it isn't available in Canada.
I'm not a fan of the cover but with the Mondo type plastic slipcover and the fact that it's cheaper than the amaray blu-ray in Canada, what the hell!

Oh yeah and the glossy finish is what did it.

Thanks for the heads-up!

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and tono06
Lovely looking steel and colours. Great finish. Cool art on the back and inside but the same cannot be said about the film.
Wonder if the remake will be as bad as this

But that steel is nice

I like this movie.

Oh and apparently the new movie had a nice rating of 0% on rotten tomatoes if that means anything.

I never thought I would buy this steelbook since it isn't available in Canada.
I'm not a fan of the cover but with the Mondo type plastic slipcover and the fact that it's cheaper than the amaray blu-ray in Canada, what the hell!

Oh yeah and the glossy finish is what did it.

Thanks for the heads-up!
right now Walmart has free shipping so for me is even cheaper, so thats way i decided to get it, but once in hand its a really cool steelbook.

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian