Flight Of The Navigator (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: February 27, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-orders will be live from around 6pm UK time on Saturday February 4th)
Price: £15.99

11374106-1134439512082166.jpg

11374106-1134439512082166.jpg 11374106-1344440036203841.jpg 11374106-7694440036261507.jpg

Last edited:
This steelbook is from Second Sight with Zavvi having the release as a retailer UK exclusive
Design and content of the steelbook is by Second Sight

I always got this, EXPLORERS, and D.A.R.Y.L. confused as a kid!

I still live in hope we'all see Explorers get a blu ray release some day, it's such an underrated classic from the eighties, especially considering it's not even a finished film from the directors original plan. If Shout got their hands on it and managed to dig up the missing footage it would make for an amazing special edition.

Saying that their 'special edition' of Death Becomes Her was the biggest let down ever. Fans waited decades to see the missing 45 minutes with the Tracy ullman subplot and there was no sign of it. It just ended up feeling very lazy, such a missed opportunity.

As for this film, I see where the designer I see trying to do something new, but I don't think the font matches the design, which is far more modern. I'd prefer the original movie poster art myself.

Reactions: C.C. 95
I still live in hope we'all see Explorers get a blu ray release some day, it's such an underrated classic from the eighties, especially considering it's not even a finished film from the directors original plan. If Shout got their hands on it and managed to dig up the missing footage it would make for an amazing special edition.

Saying that their 'special edition' of Death Becomes Her was the biggest let down ever. Fans waited decades to see the missing 45 minutes with the Tracy ullman subplot and there was no sign of it. It just ended up feeling very lazy, such a missed opportunity.

As for this film, I see where the designer I see trying to do something new, but I don't think the font matches the design, which is far more modern. I'd prefer the original movie poster art myself.
I have a weird love/hate relationship with EXPLORERS. The first half is magical, and the second half is plain awful.
How this Spielbergian first half devolved into cheezy aliens doing Catskill comedy routines in the second half, was one of the most jarring second act turnabouts I have ever seen. (Apparently, a Hollywood writers strike at the time was to blame). It is literally like two different movies jammed together.
I was never a fan of Death Becomes Her - but I agree that they should release a disc with the unused subplot just as an interesting footnote. (The subplot actually changes the entire ending).

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: marcls76 and harry
This is being shown on Film4 (and Film4 HD) on Sun Jan 15th at 4.50pm (for UK/IRE viewers).

Might be handy to see it again before committing to an order.

i personally think the attraction of getting a film like this is seeing it for the first time in a long time. watching it before you purchase defeats the object. it would just be permanently shelved as soon as it arrives.

Review of the U.K. Blu-ray disc that was released back in 2012 can be seen here (bound to be the same disc inside this steelbook):-
http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/flight-of-the-navigator.html
and here:-
http://film.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/76109/flight-of-the-navigator.html

For me this remains one of those ultra charming fantasy films of the period along with NEVERENDING STORY that has aged better than some others and one I try to watch whenever I'm in the mood.

Bought the Amaray when it came out and it's wonderful news to see a steelbook joining it even if it's four years later . . .

In conclusion: one of the better fantasy films from the 1980's and although most of the big hitters of the genre from the period have been released here in the U.K. on Blu-ray there are still others that I'm waiting for such as THE BLACK CAULDRON and DRAGONSLAYER and good to see that EXCALIBUR is coming in March :thumbs:

As a fan of this film and of this steelbook (hopefully) with its cool and clean wraparound artwork and its pastel shades I'm kind of glad they didn't go with the traditional poster of the boy at the controls and used this Marko Manev alternative poster for the steelbook cover artwork.:-
navigatorbg.jpg

Don't know who's designing these '1950's style' titles lately on steelbooks. First Stand By Me and now this. The font looks like something you'd associate with 1950's diners in the U.S. Like Eddie Rockets food chain or something.

Doesn't tie in with the movies at all IMO

• Thanks
Reactions: chunk