G1 vs. G2 - The Steelbook Debate

What size of Steelbook do you prefer- (G1-DVD size) or (G2-Blu-Ray size)?

• G1

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • G2

Votes: 159 94.1%

• Total voters

BluRayJunkie

Steelbooks Anonymous
Premium Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
OK folks, there has been a lot of chatter back and forth about G1 vs. G2steelbook cases. Frankly, I am surprized that a so many of you have such a dislike for G1's. I thought it would be nice to have a thread where everyone can vent about likes or (mostly) dislikes. So heres what I would like to know. Will you buy G1 cases and most importantly WHY do you feel that way.Most of you know I have collected for years and started collecting steelbooks when they first came out. Before that, Future Shop gave away a number of metal slipcases free with the purchase of the movie. All it had was the Future Shop logo and the name of the movie printed on. The first steelbooks just blew me away. I haven't stopped since. When BD steelbooks came out, I bought those too. At the time I was disappointed that they were a smaller size, but I liked them both.
So I have NO PROBLEM with a G1 case. G1 cases have had a tendency to be embossed more often. They are every bit as beautiful IMO. Value has nothing to do with it for me. I consider myself a steelbook collector. And steelbooks come in different sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take a G1 SteelBook™ over a regular amaray case any day of the week. Would I prefer G2 size? Certainly. But my Blu-ray shelves have become so non-uniform size-wise that a few larger sized cases really is inconsequential.

My preference goes like this:

G2 Steelbook over Amaray case over G1 Steelbook
I value conformity in height in my Blu-rays (some taller boxsets I place on their own with other tall boxsets) and G1s are just too tall in height for my liking.

I prefer G2 sized but I'll consider some G1's like sucker punch sdcc, Xbox360 exclusive games like gears halo and mass effect 2, and Spawn animated series which i got recently and I haven't bought a dvd steel since 2008. I don't hate G1 but if they're is a G2 sized and a G1 sized of a movie I'd pick the G2 size anytime

Karl-there are some folks who'll want a quick overview of what the preference is. And not everyone is comfortable, commenting in online (or for that matter offline) settings.The poll provides a different way to provide feedback.

Karl-there are some folks who'll want a quick overview of what the preference is. And not everyone is comfortable, commenting in online (or for that matter offline) settings.The poll provides a different way to provide feedback.

Hey DB, I think I wouldn't be surprized if you got 100% in favor of G2, especially since that is my preference as well. I think what I would find more interesting is "would you included G1 steelbooks in your collection".

Thanks BBJ-yes, the poll was posted to provide members with an option to state a clear cut "preference" (which one they would 'choose' if given a choice), to any one that may ask us to provide hard, measurable statistics. There will always be exceptions (gray areas), people wish to make, which can continue to be discussed in the thread, as we have been.

Last edited:
I have a dislike for G1 that i never knew about until i saw my father's (Surfury) G1 steels.
I don't think they have any place in a bluray steelbook collection.
Bluray was a step up on DVD, so G2 is the next step from G1, why in a world where G2 is almost a standard, that company's would be so cheap to revert to an old size.
I only have one over sized bluray in my collection, and it isn't a steel, it the BTTF tin.
So in the immortal words of the dragon, G1...'I'm Out'

Whats so hard to fathom here... bluray is G2. So why would a bluray steelbook be G1? It shouldn't and makes no sense to me and makes for an odd looking thing sticking out in my collection that I don't like.

I usually don't predict things but I can tell you this poll is going to be enormously in favour of G2 to the point of crushing G1.

Bluray steelbooks should only be G2 its as simple as that.

I prefer G2 but there are some great G1 size blu ray steelbooks. Such as that G1 Wanted, Sucker Punch comic con, and the G1 Adjustment Bureau from Japan. Sure, I wish they were G2, but they're great looking blu ray steels and I'll still pick some up.