G1 vs. G2 - The Steelbook Debate

What size of Steelbook do you prefer- (G1-DVD size) or (G2-Blu-Ray size)?

• G1

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • G2

Votes: 159 94.1%

• Total voters

BluRayJunkie

Steelbooks Anonymous
Premium Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
OK folks, there has been a lot of chatter back and forth about G1 vs. G2steelbook cases. Frankly, I am surprized that a so many of you have such a dislike for G1's. I thought it would be nice to have a thread where everyone can vent about likes or (mostly) dislikes. So heres what I would like to know. Will you buy G1 cases and most importantly WHY do you feel that way.Most of you know I have collected for years and started collecting steelbooks when they first came out. Before that, Future Shop gave away a number of metal slipcases free with the purchase of the movie. All it had was the Future Shop logo and the name of the movie printed on. The first steelbooks just blew me away. I haven't stopped since. When BD steelbooks came out, I bought those too. At the time I was disappointed that they were a smaller size, but I liked them both.
So I have NO PROBLEM with a G1 case. G1 cases have had a tendency to be embossed more often. They are every bit as beautiful IMO. Value has nothing to do with it for me. I consider myself a steelbook collector. And steelbooks come in different sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
For one, it throws off my collection with G1 SteelBooks, and I refuse to add those releases to my collection! If Scanavo doesn't release G2 releases for the movies I want, they are simply saving me money and would rather get the Amaray, which are cheaper anyways. Scanavo needs to invest and get their lazy asses to build a new facility in North America that produces G2 releases. Scanavo if you are listening; MAKE G2 OR YOU WON'T GET MY MONEY!!!

I refuse to buy any G1.

G1-vs-G2-2.jpg

G1 is so ugly now, compared to G2 all the time. :)

I love all beauty...

Why do I collect movies as a hobby? LOL...because it's for the movies... A steelbook is a bonus...either G1 or G2, it's all STEELBOOK. Of course, my preference is G2 all the time. However, if it comes in G1 for my favorite movie, then how can not buy my favorite movie in steelbook? LOL...hell no.

It's kind of funny how Steelbook all started in DVD size...people love it back then..no hate at all. And now, it comes in different size, and we see a different side of people hating on something that they used to love? LOL.... 50 million XBOX fans who collect game steelbook probably don't mind G1 as well.

Anyhow, we have option...buy or not to buy... buy what makes you happy. There is no right or wrong...

I bet a million dollars that everyone is going to hate G2 when the next media comes out LOL....

Last edited:
prefer G2 but there are great G1 steels as well..so as a collector, i will buy the product regardless of size.

I love G2...but would never discriminate on G1s...I never collected the DVD versions so seeing some older nice covers is okey...plus the video game steels that are G1 have amazing art...now if PS3 would stop putting their name on some G2 steels that will be great too...

I've changed my mind, G1 are not that bad (SPCC made me change my mind :joy: )

Still, if I have the choice between G1 and G2, I'll always go for G2 :)

(unless the G1 is mind blowing of course :naughty: )

Strange to see one's name in a thread you haven't read but have opinions on. Yes, I collect Bluray Steelbooks. Yes, I have a bit of an obsession with them. Am I bothered by the size of them; not particularly. However there was one choice that was missed out in the poll and that is "Not bothered", or as I would say "Not bothered but would prefer G2". Given the choice yes I would prefer G2.
I often read folks saying " It's a G1, I'll pass. No G1's for me." But I rarely hear folks complain about having SP SDCC 2011. I don't mind either and they look great in Wreck's stands. :scat:

BRJ you're my man. Agree with your sentiments 100%.

Last edited:
i dont really mind G1 steel's i have a number of dvd steel's with some great art work such as the german ultraviolet & spanish corpse bride which also have fantastic inner art :D

I have both G1 and G2 steelbooks, and the size of them doesnt bother me at all, aint buying them for their size, getting them because of the artwork:)