G1 vs. G2 - The Steelbook Debate

What size of Steelbook do you prefer- (G1-DVD size) or (G2-Blu-Ray size)?

• G1

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • G2

Votes: 159 94.1%

• Total voters

BluRayJunkie

Steelbooks Anonymous
Premium Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
OK folks, there has been a lot of chatter back and forth about G1 vs. G2steelbook cases. Frankly, I am surprized that a so many of you have such a dislike for G1's. I thought it would be nice to have a thread where everyone can vent about likes or (mostly) dislikes. So heres what I would like to know. Will you buy G1 cases and most importantly WHY do you feel that way.Most of you know I have collected for years and started collecting steelbooks when they first came out. Before that, Future Shop gave away a number of metal slipcases free with the purchase of the movie. All it had was the Future Shop logo and the name of the movie printed on. The first steelbooks just blew me away. I haven't stopped since. When BD steelbooks came out, I bought those too. At the time I was disappointed that they were a smaller size, but I liked them both.
So I have NO PROBLEM with a G1 case. G1 cases have had a tendency to be embossed more often. They are every bit as beautiful IMO. Value has nothing to do with it for me. I consider myself a steelbook collector. And steelbooks come in different sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
G1 = DVD = 2000
G2 = Blu-Ray = 2011+...

G2 = Blu-Ray = 2007+...

I hate G1 and I started to collect DVD steelbook with Narnia FS excusive, the very first North American SB. I also own 500+ DVDs and they are stored in a box that I landed to my best friend. DVDs are dead and I just burried mine in 2007.

I use to love G1 before blu-ray but now I just can't stand them. Of course I own JP, The Expandable, True Grit, Fast Five and Rush but that's only because I'm a completist.

My 2 Cent.

Had this dilema recently when deciding whether or not to bid on Sucker Punch CC. I decided to pass because of the price (£60), but had an after thought would I have done the same if it was G2? I don't own any G1's, have never seen one in the flesh (or steel I guess), and don't have my eye on any. Artwork aside, it may look a bit out of place on my shelf, and a bit old fashioned :dunno:

I don't necessarily dislike the G1 but I am building a shelf with felt linings on the "spacers" between each title so I can store my Steelbooks without having them scratched as they are removed from the shelf (and rub up against each other) and I designed it for my current titles - which are all G2.

I perfer G2 steelbooks but I may make an exception if it is a film I really like and the cover art is different than any of the other G2 steels. For example, The Dark Knight Rises France edition will be G1 but it is the only one using different cover art.

Cheers!

I prefer the way G2s look. Ever since I got my first PS3 game I fell in love with the smaller size and sleeker look of Blu-ray packaging. I don't have a problem with G1s, as it doesn't bug me that my DVDs are mixed in with my Blu-rays and as a matter of fact, I would buy the G1 Comic-Con SuckerPunch in a heartbeat if I ever came across it.

I'm surprised that there are some collectors who are really anal about G1 SteelBooks, and will deliberately avoid them at all costs if for some reason they are used for Blu-Ray. I know quite a lot of PS3 fanboys who will rant on and on if a particular pre-order SteelBook is G1 across the board, instead of G1 for X360 and G2 for PS3!

I can sort of see their point of view, and I would certainly be slightly annoyed if I had a shelf full of G2's, only for one or two Blu-Rays / games to not fit because they were made G1. On the other hand, I can't understand why they can't just keep them to one side if they don't fit. Just like books, everything can't be one uniform size! PS3 owners should think themselves lucky that they were able to get a SteelBook at all, instead of the retailer limiting them purely to X360 and PC buyers

The recently released Dead Island: Riptide SteelBook was G1 for all formats. My mate phoned me and ranted for ten minutes about how he "hates it when they do that" and how it "doesn't fit on his shelf with the rest of his PS3 games".

I personally wouldn't decide to not buy a SteelBook just because of its size. That's just silly, and at the end of the day a six-disc G1 is more preferable than a G2 Jumbo (in my opinion)