Das Boot (January 19, 2015)
District 9 (March 09, 2015)
Dr. Strangelove (January 21, 2015)
Easy Rider (February 09, 2015)
Karate Kid (January 20, 2015)
Snatch (February 09, 2015)
Taxi Driver (March 09, 2015)

Direct purchase links:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) is teaming up with Gallery 1988 to launch “Project Pop Art, a collection of 7 cult classic films re-released on Blu-ray™ in SteelBook™ packaging, featuring innovative and unique artwork by top emerging artists and designers. The collection commemorates popular and iconic films, including Taxi Driver, District 9, Easy Rider and more. The titles will be available exclusively at Zavvi.com in the UK on January 19th 2015 (DAS BOOT, DR. STRANGELOVE, THE KARATE KID), February 9th (EASY RIDER, SNATCH), and March 9th (DISTRICT 9, TAXI DRIVER) for a limited time only

Attachments

• thumb.png
    thumb.png
    16 KB · Views: 9,512
Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit already on @Drum18 GB for some of these :angry: why couldn't they have announced these earlier!
Yeah... but
1st: here in Canada, we have 14 titles

2nd: we get them 2-4 months earlier ;)

3rd: £17.99 = 34$ when each title here is $17.25
I know that shipping and all other fees are a pain but still, isn't it cheaper to get them from Canada?

4th: don't forget the exclusive Future Shop sticker as @zerox39 planned :)

Last edited:
I ordered three titles from Drum18's GB, two of them being The Fifth Element and Léon so I don't regret anything because they aren't among these ones. :thumbs:

And I prefer receiving my steelbooks intact, not with some custom embossing... good that I can avoid Zavvi in this case :D

Last edited:
Here is the list of the other steelbooks part of the Sony wave on the other side of the pond and not picked up by Zavvi ;) :
  1. Desperado
  2. Drive (already had a UK steelbook at HMV)
  3. Kung Fu Hustle
  4. Léon (already had a UK steelbook)
  5. Stripes
  6. Superbad
  7. The Fifth Element (already had a UK steelbook)
  8. The Raid (already had a UK steelbook at play.com)
  9. Tommy

- Stripes and Superbad are really great, popular, rewatchable comedies, I don't get why they've been left out, that would be a buy from me.
- Kung Fu Hustle would be a nice complement to Zavvi's Shaolin Soccer.
- Robert Rodriguez has had plenty of steelbooks at Zavvi (the ultra popular From Dusk Till Dawn, the less popular Machete Kills, the puzzling Sin City, the upcoming Sin City 2 ; plus Machete had a steelbook at HMV): why not a steelbook of one of his best films, Desperado?
- I don't know that much about Tommy.

My theory as to why only 1,000 steelbooks for Taxi Driver is because of Zavvi's own exclusive last year (great steelbook too, don't need another one).

Of the ones picked up by Zavvi, I will probably get Snatch, Dr. Strangelove, The Boot (it would be my first steelbook of a German-speaking film) and perhaps Easy Rider (never seen it (yes, I know), may not like it).

Think I'll be passing at £18... ridiculous.

Is it not still cheaper than importing them? Not sticking up for zavvis price. These should be £12.99-£14.99 but just thought for the people who want one or two and zavvi happen to have the ones they want it will work out cheaper for them than importing from Canada or US.
Also possible discount code might be avaliable when they are up for order

Drive in UK is Icon Film Distribution (Icon Home Entertainment)
(Its possible another UK release could happen;))
The Fifth Element in UK is Fox UK
Léon in UK is StudioCanal
Raid in UK is now distributed by Entertainment One (previous was Momentum Pictures)

Still Sony in the UK but not part of the UK Pop Art Wave
Desperado
Kung Fu Hustle
Stripes
Superbad
Tommy

Last edited:
Is it not still cheaper than importing them? Not sticking up for zavvis price. These should be £12.99-£14.99 but just thought for the people who want one or two and zavvi happen to have the ones they want it will work out cheaper for them than importing from Canada or US.
Also possible discount code might be avaliable when they are up for order
According to @Drum18 "£17.99 = 34$ when each title here is $17.25". I wasn't even really keen on paying the US prices + postage, but when a Drive steelbook is involved, I shall not pass! :p

I don't like this wave, did not expect to see these steelbooks in the UK. I was really hoping for a UK release of The Karate Kid with different artwork and not part of this wave, guess this ends any hope then.

Reactions: snooloui
between the recent fox 3d wave and these I am really hating Zavvi. But no one has steels being released other than them with consistency. I am starting to not preorder as much and wait for when they drop to under 9.99 and then pick them up. Maybe Zavvi will start to get a clue about the outrageous pricing lately