Das Boot (January 19, 2015)
District 9 (March 09, 2015)
Dr. Strangelove (January 21, 2015)
Easy Rider (February 09, 2015)
Karate Kid (January 20, 2015)
Snatch (February 09, 2015)
Taxi Driver (March 09, 2015)

Direct purchase links:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) is teaming up with Gallery 1988 to launch “Project Pop Art, a collection of 7 cult classic films re-released on Blu-ray™ in SteelBook™ packaging, featuring innovative and unique artwork by top emerging artists and designers. The collection commemorates popular and iconic films, including Taxi Driver, District 9, Easy Rider and more. The titles will be available exclusively at Zavvi.com in the UK on January 19th 2015 (DAS BOOT, DR. STRANGELOVE, THE KARATE KID), February 9th (EASY RIDER, SNATCH), and March 9th (DISTRICT 9, TAXI DRIVER) for a limited time only

Attachments

• thumb.png
    thumb.png
    16 KB · Views: 9,512
Last edited by a moderator:
between the recent fox 3d wave and these I am really hating Zavvi. But no one has steels being released other than them with consistency. I am starting to not preorder as much and wait for when they drop to under 9.99 and then pick them up. Maybe Zavvi will start to get a clue about the outrageous pricing lately

These are from Sony UK not Zavvi
Zavvi don't and never have made a steelbook as they are only a retailer not a distributor

Its Sony who decided to release these in USA/Canada/UK with selected titles for the UK as some titles in the UK are not distributed by Sony in the UK
Sony also decided exclusive in Canada with Future Shop and Best Buy in USA

Sony UK gave Zavvi the UK exclusive as a retailer as that is all Zavvi are a retail online shop

Pricing is decided by Sony UK with Zavvi and UK pricing is always going to be different to USA or Canada and Germany
Yes they are more expensive but most steelbooks releases from UK Film Studios are compared to other countries
Look at Amazon.UK prices and Entertainment Store with Play.com and HMV etc for UK steelbooks releases

If they don't sell well they then drop the prices but end up not making much and some they end up making a loss on if they did not sell enough at the higher price before they reduce

What's needed is UK Film Studios to not have high prices for back catalogue steelbook titles but budget prices like they do with standard re releases of back catalogue titles

Last edited:
Reactions: lgans316
So much for having 'exclusive' steelbooks. Seems as though zavvi are just reproducing anything and everything! Nothing is rare or exclusive anymore - not too good from a collectors point of view

So much for having 'exclusive' steelbooks. Seems as though zavvi are just reproducing anything and everything! Nothing is rare or exclusive anymore - not too good from a collectors point of view
You mean Sony reproducing anything and everything its them who are releasing these zavvi are only a retailer
Its not Zavvi who are releasing these in Canada or USA or the UK its Sony who are

Reactions: lgans316
Its up to Icon UK to decide to do another Drive Steelbook I'm not sure though if they will but if they did would it sell with all the other new re releases of Drive steelbook happening in other countries
Hmm yeah, since you put it that way... it probably won't happen. :(

Reactions: paulboland
Be interested to see if theses are identical to the US/Canadian release in that Zavvi have acquired 2K from the North American print run or if these are a separate run made in Denmark.

I only mention this as zerox39 hinted in the Canadian thread that theses may not have inside artwork which is acceptable for the price FS are asking but not for £17.99 Zavvi want.

@zerox39 will this have inside art? (fingers crossed)

I've heard no, but I can't confirm that yet

Be interested to see if theses are identical to the US/Canadian release in that Zavvi have acquired 2K from the North American print run or if these are a separate run made in Denmark.

I only mention this as zerox39 hinted in the Canadian thread that theses may not have inside artwork which is acceptable for the price FS are asking but not for £17.99 Zavvi want.
I would say these are the exact same steelbooks with only difference been the Jcard with the UK releases I could be wrong but its more cost effective that its a shared print run we will just have to wait and see if Zavvi show all the artwork to see if the Sony UK artwork is any different or only find out when their shipped to collectors in the UK

Reactions: redlemon
As mentioned above Zavvi can only release part of this wave due to Sony not having distribution in the UK but it's a shame they didn't add a couple of extra titles exclusive to UK only like Best Buy did with Drive and Raid.

Last edited:
Nice to see Sony actually taking an interest in releasing SteelBooks in the UK. Until now I could probably count SPHE releases on both hands! Not sure Taxi Driver and District 9 needed to be released again though, especially as the other Taxi Driver SteelBook hasn't been out that long, but that's probably why it is has a lower print run.

Now all we need is for Sony to pull their finger out and delve into their extensive back catalogue of titles which they still haven't released on Blu-Ray here in the UK! They seem to keep re-releasing the same titles, but neglect others. Most of THIS LIST HERE is made up of Sony / Columbia / Tristar titles!

Last edited:
Reactions: rj531
I have a feeling that the price of £17.99 currently shown on Zavvi's website will be reduced by the time the respective pre-orders become active.

Previous Zavvi exclusives from Sony's back catalogue include "Moon", "The Punisher" and "Godzilla" (1998 version). All of those releases retailed at a lower price than corresponding catalogue releases from the other studios, with the exception of Icon. I imagine these titles will be the same.

Only one that tempts me is Karate Kid as I love the artwork, but don't think I can justify a £18 spend on it