Das Boot (January 19, 2015)
District 9 (March 09, 2015)
Dr. Strangelove (January 21, 2015)
Easy Rider (February 09, 2015)
Karate Kid (January 20, 2015)
Snatch (February 09, 2015)
Taxi Driver (March 09, 2015)

Direct purchase links:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) is teaming up with Gallery 1988 to launch “Project Pop Art, a collection of 7 cult classic films re-released on Blu-ray™ in SteelBook™ packaging, featuring innovative and unique artwork by top emerging artists and designers. The collection commemorates popular and iconic films, including Taxi Driver, District 9, Easy Rider and more. The titles will be available exclusively at Zavvi.com in the UK on January 19th 2015 (DAS BOOT, DR. STRANGELOVE, THE KARATE KID), February 9th (EASY RIDER, SNATCH), and March 9th (DISTRICT 9, TAXI DRIVER) for a limited time only

Attachments

• thumb.png
    thumb.png
    16 KB · Views: 9,512
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really digging the Easy Rider one, but I already have the film on blu from Criterion.

Not sure if I wanna double dip or not.

Can't seem to get the code to work on a PC either. Downer!

Finally got it to work on my iPhone. I did it on the mobile site and then went to normal desktop and it appeared

Ordered Das Boot and Easy Rider (have the Sony Classics already),
District 9 (despite having the original release and the Italian Sony Classic release),
Dr. Strangelove (do hope this is the 45th Anniversary restoration) all this afternoon - with the 10ccz code.
Already have Karate Kid and Taxi Driver - and couldn't force myself to buy Snatch at any price!

Last edited:
I really, really hope that this is the last one we see of the recent waves of Steelbook and FuturePak releases to use abstract artwork. First we had the ad hoc series of releases from Fox. Then Universal jumped on the bandwagon with their "Iconic Art" series. Now Sony has done likewise with this "Gallery 1988" series.

I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the only one of this wave that I find remotely acceptable is "Das Boot". Probably because the image strikes me as being naturalistic, as opposed to the more abstract artwork used on the others.

No doubt there are others who feel differently but for me, the artwork used on a Steelbook should be either a memorable image from the movie itself or an adaptation of the original poster art. I really can do without this trend of using someone's artistic interpretation of what they consider to be the movie's essence. Especially, when it's readily apparent that in many cases the artist hasn't even seen the movie but has instead worked from a summary provided by the studio.

Anyway, rant over. I also console myself with the thought that it could have been far worse. I dread to think of the travesty that would have ensued had Sony decided to include "Lawrence of Arabia" as one of this series!

I'm glad the Best Buy versions came out first. I probably would have imported Strangelove and Easy Rider if they hadn't. That being said this wave (and the best buy/future shop wave exclusives) are very hit or miss. I laughed when I saw the Karate Kid at Best Buy. Big pass on that one. Dr. Strangelove and Desperado are awesome though. Easy Rider and Tommy were pretty nice too. Drive too.

most of this wave is coming to mediamarkt.de too, including taxi driver and snatch. Price 9,90€, available april 2015. I am sure someone is doin a group buy
Thanks for that. Didn't know that.
I cancelled my Zavvi order of Snatch. €9.90 is a big difference from €19.90 so may pick that one up again.