Multi (Games) Digital or Physical Media? Which do you prefer?

Do you like physical or digital media?

• Physical?

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • Digital?

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

PunkNinja

Bring The Good Times Home
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
USA
dvsp-png.127513
????

Reactions: C.C. 95
It all depends on which is less expensive wise. If I absolutely had to choose it would probably be physical media, only because when it installs to the PS4, it only installs a portion of the game and the rest is still on the disc, therefore freeing up that much more space on the HDD. Not that I'm worried since I have a Terabyte drive in the PS4. Downloading is a breeze though because I can put the PS4 in Standby mode and it puts it in a low power state and it still downloads the game while I'm sleeping or off doing something else. When I come back it's done downloading and I can sit down and play the game. :)

I think both have their advantages and disadvantages...

Physical positives - usually cheaper, no long installs, can sell/trade
Physical negatives - takes up shelf space, discs can get scratched (not much of a problem with modern blu-ray discs)

Digital positives - no clutter, right there on your system so quicker to load
Digital negatives - more expensive (I've never understood why), takes up more memory, can't sell/trade

Personally I always try and go for physical because of the reasons mentioned above, but also because I'm a collector and love to be able to hold my items and clutter up my shelf. :p

I would prefer physical games as i know when they decide to stop supporting the console digitally i can go back and play the games, but the digital way has it's advantages, such as not having to get up to switch disk and faster load times.

As of not it's 60 % physical 40 % digital.

Reactions: PunkNinja
Just like collecting steelbooks I like to collect video games too, so I'd have to go with physical. Even when the PSN has a game for free on plus I eventually end up picking up the physical copy when it hits the right price point. Digital does have its advantages though like dboy said, not having to get up to switch out the disc. Switching games is such a breeze now with the current gens smoother interface.

Reactions: PunkNinja
On PS4/Xbox360, I prefer physical, as I can trade/sell titles after completion. On PC I don't have much choice with Steam. ;)

I need a disk in hand . A box is like a book a real book with unknown wounders inside untill you open it up . I'm a fossil that finds all this digital flimflam hard work. He kids have to translate and I still dont get it .

You can trade in sell on whatever .

Digital you have a break in service either your internet provider or gaming network you are stuffed no gaming at all. Lest you can do something in game as long as the disk /console supports it.

Physical. I believe the push to digital and cloud storage is a cabal. Movie studios enjoyed the cash flow that physical media created from the beginning of the VHS and Beta tapes to the DVDs and Blus. But studios never liked that we had physical ownership of a movie. And with DVD they really didn't like it(even as they enjoyed the cash flow it provided). They were the ones who pushed the DIVX DVD- the format that gave you a 48 Hour viewing period before destroying itself. They did not want people to buy once and watch forever (VHS tape was not a threat because it obviously was going to turn to dust eventually). They wanted you to buy per view. Now, with the ability store large amounts of data in clouds, it seems logical to buy our films digitally and keep them in a cloud based storage (especially since higher resolutions demand much more memory). Soon we will see boutique hubs in the cloud where we can buy and store our digital films. And it will cost us money. Probably a monthly charge. Which in essence brings us all the way back to where the studios and their parent companies want us: Renting our movies.(with the illusion of ownership).
I'll keep my media room.

Last edited: