General Poster Discussion & last purchased

Apr 2, 2009
General Poster Talk and Share your Latest Purchases!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of Durieux's Godzilla variants (canvas) Dark Hall Mansion released (via ebay, nowhere near the $275 original cost) and I've never known how to display it. I've listed it on eBay a few times to no success. I figure I should get it sorted but have no idea. I feel it should be framed (15 made, theoretically worth keeping as pristine as possible) but I don't even know how to go about framing canvas... it's 36x24 but obviously has overhang unprinted all around - I'd say about 1.5inch thick (a guess from memory at the moment). I can buy a larger frame but would then have to mount.

Question would then become what colour would suit? Any ideas?

thanks!
godvar_a38dbdf1-4bed-4b3e-b228-c6e0716039a1_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: Alistair G
Hi Guys,

I've had 5 prints sitting in tubes for a while that I bought to decorate a home theatre room I am building. I've decided to finally have these framed, just wanted some advice on colours, as I've never framed prints before, so I'm not sure what people normally do.

The walls on my theatre room will be matte black, as I will be running a projector. I wanted to keep all my prints looking uniform, as they will be mounted in a row next to each other on the wall. For this reason, I decided to go for black frames, around 30mm thick, along with black mat board. The framer thought it was too much black and suggested I go for a red frame, but I mentioned I wanted to keep all the frames black to keep them all uniform, and didn't think the red would suit my other prints. What about the mat board though? Do you guys generally go different coloured mat boards for each print, or is it better to keep them all the same?

Hi Guys,

I've had 5 prints sitting in tubes for a while that I bought to decorate a home theatre room I am building. I've decided to finally have these framed, just wanted some advice on colours, as I've never framed prints before, so I'm not sure what people normally do.

The walls on my theatre room will be matte black, as I will be running a projector. I wanted to keep all my prints looking uniform, as they will be mounted in a row next to each other on the wall. For this reason, I decided to go for black frames, around 30mm thick, along with black mat board. The framer thought it was too much black and suggested I go for a red frame, but I mentioned I wanted to keep all the frames black to keep them all uniform, and didn't think the red would suit my other prints. What about the mat board though? Do you guys generally go different coloured mat boards for each print, or is it better to keep them all the same?
Personally, I don't use mat at all ^^ I don't like them, so I just go with black frames the size of the print, and don't buy mats. Simple ^^

Personally, I don't use mat at all ^^ I don't like them, so I just go with black frames the size of the print, and don't buy mats. Simple ^^

I thought this was frowned upon as the glass can damage the print? This is what I wanted to do originally as its significantly cheaper to buy an off the shelf frame in 24 x 36 inches, but I've always read this was a bad idea as the print will stick to glass, so I chose to use a mat board.

I thought this was frowned upon as the glass can damage the print? This is what I wanted to do originally as its significantly cheaper to buy an off the shelf frame in 24 x 36 inches, but I've always read this was a bad idea as the print will stick to glass, so I chose to use a mat board.

It can be, but so much depends on your own personal valuation of the prints, market valuation of the prints and then the environment in which they'll be in.

For instance if your prints would be in a room where there is a window that will let in direct sunlight then you'd want UV glass. if its a theater room then i reckon sunlight is no issue. Is it in a basement? is it relatively damp area? or a room where it gets hot and humid? Lot of factors .... They do make some spacers that people have put in place to keep print off the glass in stock frames. On my favorite pieces I go "all-out" and that includes mats , frames etc and that cost a lot of money .... but then I have other pieces that while I enjoy them I go cheap on the frame and sometimes use either a wal-mart frame or one from hobby lobby or Michaels etc. that is stock. However, you won't find an old valuable stout in one of those frames unless its there for a specific reason. (temporary staging area to flatten a print real good before properly framing etc)

So the personal valuation and market valuation comment is in reference to what the poster is worth to you? If there is no attachment to the poster (say, attending a screening or concert for the poster) and a person only ever attaches the value of which they pay never intending to sell or concerned with it then do what you feel is right for the enjoyment of your $50-75 poster.

But if there is ever the small chance of possibility of moving those posters on one day then invest in a mat or spacers to keep the print from being one day plastered to the glass.

I personally would never put a black mat in a black frame as it just sounds ugly to me. if you want a uniform look then I suggest perhaps just spacer and stock black frames. Uniform look will def help the overall theater look classy and have that stock photo appeal it sounds. However colored mats that compliment each print sure do add that bit of personal flare that gives the theater more appeal and character as to whom the theater belongs to.

I've seen where they've added another color for me by cutting the mat and it was black ... meaning the mat was (in this case) red but the back was black. So maybe even a "future proof" like suggestion is that you get mats the colors that compliment the prints but the backs are all black. Then you can decide which way to go and if ever want to change seems it'd be an overall cheap fix since you wouldnt be purchasing the mats again they just flip them around. But ... I'm no framer , and maybe that wouldnt look right on how the bevel is cut, or perhaps (like I think they do most) they put acid free removable tape on back of mat print?

@Jason Bourne might be able to offer some insight on that part as he operates a frame store locally.

Personally I play the life of chance perhaps far too much as I have prints stored in EVERY which way and have had many like that for years and still no damage. Got prints in flat file (now) got some in portfolio, some in wal-mart cheap frames, some in hobby lobby stock frames, had some in tubes for a year + , had prints on prints on prints stacked up with nothing in between, (no bleed through) and all of which in a basement. Just got done moving them all into a flat file that wasnt framed and all was fine. Have exchanged prints out of the cheap frames with years going by and no issues either. I think the scares have more to do with the environments in which they are in temperature and moisture wise....

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply Wreck. I don't intend to have a massive collection of prints like some people here. Whilst I do love them, I simply wanted a few prints to hang up in my home theatre to give it a bit of character, as I prefer the look of unqiue screen prints as opposed to generic theatre posters. I chose 5 prints from some of my favourite films as that's all I had room for, and decided to have them properly framed to protect them as I love them and want to keep them in good condition, plus I want them to look classy on the wall.

Whilst my preference was not to use mat boards in order to keep costs down and buy off the shelf frames (we all know how expensive custom framing can get), I was told not to do this as the print can stick to the glass, so I bit the bullet and got a custom framing job on one of my prints to see how it turned out before going ahead with the remaining 4. I actually went ahead and chose black mat board along with the black frame. To be honest I actually quite like the way it turned out, as it draws your attention to the print. I have no idea how it will look on the walls of my theatre room as it's not built yet, I simply held it up against a white wall.

Framer initially suggested a simple white mat board but I didn't want to do this as I figured the white would stand out like a sore thumb on my black walls, and was afraid of going coloured mat boards in case it didn't work out. Black seemed like a safe choice. If I could afford it, I would have done a double mat board and used a secondary colour for the second mat board since only a little bit of it would be showing.

I guess since I've now done one of them, I'll have to do the others the same to match.

I have attached a pic of the frame. Excuse the glare, it's wrapped in protective plastic which made it hard to photograph.

Attachments

• 20170114_205229.jpg
    20170114_205229.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 172
Reactions: SlimJim24 and Wreck
Looks good bud, yeah im not a fan of just a white mat, rather it be like yours then white mat only.

to follow up with a pic ..............

here it is @C.C. 95 finished around the first week of the month or so.

@Wreck
Wow! That is Beautiful!:thumbs: Did you stain it, or was it already stained?
Easy to put together?
We are heading into February, and not a word from anywhere about new 24x36 sleeves for the Pictuesque portfolio...:grumpy:
I may have to follow your lead sooner rather than later.
Having 24x36 prints sitting on a fold-out table in the middle of my living room for a year has NOT been ideal!:bored:

@Wreck
Wow! That is Beautiful!:thumbs: Did you stain it, or was it already stained?
Easy to put together?
We are heading into February, and not a word from anywhere about new 24x36 sleeves for the Pictuesque portfolio...:grumpy:
I may have to follow your lead sooner rather than later.
Having 24x36 prints sitting on a fold-out table in the middle of my living room for a year has NOT been ideal!:bored:

It comes that color. Its really nice quality esp for the price. THere are other colors but black is OOS till summer. I'm glad I went with this color tho, a bit more elegant looking. It wasnt so bad putting together honestly. I thought it was going to be much worse. But i spaced it out in and did several parts in diff days. I also did all the drawers first so when I finally did the hard parts it wasnt like "oh man now I got all these stupid drawers to do" instead ... just put them in.

I read in some reviews that the ball bearing sliders they used to come as is and you had to put those on yourself and I can see why people would mess up or loathe putting this together but they now come screwed in already from the factory so that saved a ton of time. I got tired of my stacking mess too. easier to organize esp with teh smaller drawers as i keep odds and bits in there and its kinda nice to pull that type of stuff out often to gaze or see what I can secretly put in someone's HDN order ha.

def build it in the room its going to be in. drawers dont matter where obviously. And if you need more pics let me know.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: C.C. 95
ps. knobs can easily come off even after put together (not in a bad way, just one screw) in case a person wanted to add more character and use diff knobs. I see marvel ones and such at Hobby Lobby all the time. I'm fine as is, but who knows maybe in a year ill want to do a cheap spruce up. :p

ps. knobs can easily come off even after put together (not in a bad way, just one screw) in case a person wanted to add more character and use diff knobs. I see marvel ones and such at Hobby Lobby all the time. I'm fine as is, but who knows maybe in a year ill want to do a cheap spruce up. :p
Custom knobs?!!:woot:
IMG_9644.JPG

• Thanks
Reactions: SlimJim24
For those of you who have been patiently waiting for new 24x36 sleeves for your Picturesque Portfolio, comes this news from Jerry's Artomrama:

"Thank you for your email! Unfortunately Picturesque went out of business without warning, and what we have listed on the website is what we have left of their product. I am afraid we are out of that particular product.
However I have found a good website that deals with art portfolios only. If they do not have something comparable to the Picturesque, I am sure they would be able to help you find an alternative."

C'est la vie.
@Wreck , you made the right decision moving on the the Flat File!!:thumbs:

Reactions: Wreck