Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 21, 2011
United Kingdom

Release date:
August 7, 2017
Purchase links: 3D Version - 4K Version
Price: £24.99 (3D) - £32.99 (4K)
Notes: Available in two options - 3D 1080p & 4K Ultra HD (both include 2D)

Part of Zavvi's Anime day, see more info here

11434745-1104474212604983.jpg

C8MClQQXQAQ6Tsv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, super cool original poster design for the front but the back might be a problem as that's the only poster in that red & black colour palette that I can see.

Would be a better idea to provide two different steelbooks for each format choice . . . keep the red in the OP and provide another in a blue palette using images from some of the other excellent poster designs such as two from here . . .
II
V

Theres the Asian release Lentis and Full slips right there! :drool:

NO 2D DISC?

Question - I ordered the 3d version assuming it came with 2d as well, but the conformation email says (Includes 2D Version) (Digital Download)!!

Before used to be a blu ray included, but this could be anything, low res SD version, just a code for ultraviolet (which tend to be low res as well in my experience). Had envisioned getting a blu ray disc I can put in home cinema set up and watch (1080p, good sound codec, etc).

I don't recall seeing 'download' called out like this before, and for the price would expect a disc. Or am I worrying about nothing?

NO 2D DISC?

Question - I ordered the 3d version assuming it came with 2d as well, but the conformation email says (Includes 2D Version) (Digital Download)!!

Before used to be a blu ray included, but this could be anything, low res SD version, just a code for ultraviolet (which tend to be low res as well in my experience). Had envisioned getting a blu ray disc I can put in home cinema set up and watch (1080p, good sound codec, etc).

I don't recall seeing 'download' called out like this before, and for the price would expect a disc. Or am I worrying about nothing?

If you click on the product details for the steelbook it does say 2 discs included. And the description says this steelbook also contains the standard Blu-ray version. I think you're good :thumbs:

im sure the 2d is the bluray. 99% time it is

They confirmed on Twitter it includes the 2D blu Ray

@zavvi
So is this WEA? because obviously its popping up in other countries and I assumed when you said they were asking for feedback it meant we had WEA over other countries

As we know no confirmed artwork for this steelbook so the ball's up in the air at the time of writing.

The Zavvi artwork as we know is reportedly favoured by Zavvi and they have been quoted thus -
" While it's still to be confirmed, Universal did ask for our feedback on the artwork. We all love it and we've said so!"

Personally admit to a preference for the TBC Best Buy artwork:-
BEST BUY - 2 steelbook choices (2D + DVD @$24.99) and (2D + 4K UHD @$29.99)
5803306_sa.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000
17634849_1528777547175085_2304721669664632582_n.jpg

I'd sign a petition to keep Scarlett / her alter ego on the front as it's in keeping with the tradition of most previous GHOST IN THE SHELL releases:-
iIi
V

and so on and so forth ...

Last edited:
But I thought 4K discs were more expensive than 3D. Or will this be there way of charging the same.
I imagine 3D and 2D version will be £22.99 (hopefully £19.99 lol)

3D and 2D use the same disc. It's just marketing to make you think that 3D costs more.

4K likely costs a little bit more right now, but not nearly as much as the studios would like you to think.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo and neo
3D and 2D use the same disc. It's just marketing to make you think that 3D costs more.

4K likely costs a little bit more right now, but not nearly as much as the studios would like you to think.

Actual manufacturing of the discs is nowhere near as costly as they charge for them. That's how it always is. But they control the means of production and the rights to the material, so they can charge what they want (until the proletariat rise up, that is...:rofl:).

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo

Actual manufacturing of the discs is nowhere near as costly as they charge for them. That's how it always is. But they control the means of production and the rights to the material, so they can charge what they want (until the proletariat rise up, that is...:rofl:).

Cheers, yeah I'm aware of all that but I meant from a sales point of view anyway.

Hadn't really looked at prices of 4K films/ discs. Just assumed it would be the most expensive of discs then 3D, then 2D then obviously DVD

• Thanks
Reactions: neo
While I enjoy the red artwork I've just seen the TBC Best Buy artwork and the bright colors and design just blew me away. For all my UK collectors I can only hope the design changes to Best Buy's. Wow.

Yeh, i prefer the full body art rather than the Mondo looking one.

Why don't they differentiate the two editions with different artwork? Why is it acceptable to have different SKUs with identical art?

Anyway, i saw the film and enjoyed it.

Unfortunately the rating on rotten tomatoes has plummeted to below 50%.. personally i think its a mid 80

Yeh, i prefer the full body art rather than the Mondo looking one.

Why don't they differentiate the two editions with different artwork? Why is it acceptable to have different SKUs with identical art?

Anyway, i saw the film and enjoyed it.

Unfortunately the rating on rotten tomatoes has plummeted to below 50%.. personally i think its a mid 80
Was not impressed with the movie, expected a lot more ! What you see in the trailer is basically the movie ! Thought i might of gone blind for the first 5-10 mins it was that blurry !!!! A bit of a mish mash of a film, never quite knew what it wanted to be ? Sticking with the "3d" steelbook for now until i can work out if its worth it (the film that is).

MUCH prefer the Best Buy art, can you imagine that in gloss, I mean wow, it would be stunning. The mondo style art is nice, but it doesn't feel like the movie to me in red, black and white. The palette of the film is vibrant neons so the Best Buy version feels more true to the style of the movie.

Is this a limited release? The 3D version says sold out. I know a Zavvi sold out doesn't mean actually sold out, but the 4K version is still available to pre-order.