Ghostbusters (2016) (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: November 21st, 2016 (TBC)
Purchase link: Zavvi (Live at 12 PM UK time, on Monday July 25, 2016)
Price: £23.99

ghost1.jpg

ghost2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else receive this and the extended version with the magnet, only to realise the difference is the 3D disc on the zavvi exclusive?
Yes,the zavvi exclusive contains THE THEATRICAL AND EXTENDED CUTS OF THE FILM!!!
Thank you Sony...didn't realise the film cost you so much that you double up on the releases

I was surprised to see the Zavvii version had the extended cut on it too, makes me glad I didn't order the second version.

Thats a nice way of looking at it, I'll try and look at it that way when I watch it again, I may have if I didn't find out he'd died when the film started in the cinema, my friend poked me and said "it's such a shame the guy in this died" and I assumed he was talking about leonard but he said 'no the young guy but I don't know his name" then he pointed him out the first moment he was on screen so I think that's why I watched it with more sadness, if I'd know a while before it may have been different. I watch green room a couple of months ago, I didn't even recognise him straight off, it is good movie..also watched terminator salvation again the other day and totally forgot he played kyle, he was a good actor.

Keep meaning to watch the batman trilogy again cos I've been wondering if my initial reaction to rises was accurate or I just wasn't in the right mood for it 1st time round but after what you've said I may have been right.

Good picks for your favourite bare bones steels. . I only have a couple of them, deadpool is an awesome steelbook, that will definitely be on my nominations list.. shame about the film lol.. I know most people liked it but it got so overhyped I was quite underwhelmed when I saw it.. however I always give a film a second chance, as in the past I usually enjoy films far more on the second or third viewing.. some of my favourite films I was 50/50 on liking on first viewing so I don't trust myself till I've watched it at least twice.. 3rd times usually the charm. I'm watching ghostbusters 2 now then on to this one, I'm actually really looking forward to seeing it again.

They really do look great together:thumbs:
I was thinking about buying the first 2 when I received the new one today but then I looked at the original steels and as I really like them I decided I wouldn't buy more...

and now I've seen your pic and I want to buy them.. I have no will power :emb:

I remember you saying a while back that it's not usually until the 2nd or 3rd viewing when you make your mind up.

Whaaaat? You don't like deadpool. Damn. Great steel though

Ok so i watched the extended version of this.

I prefered it a tad more, I also think I know why I liked mellisa a bit more in this,
In her recent films her comedy is shouting and she's slightly more reserved in this which I prefer.
Wiig barely shouts anyway so I prefer her calmness in comedy but the other 2 just do my nut in. Especially the blonde. She over does every scene she's in acting all stupid.

But one of the best things about this film is the realisation that hemsworth can do comedy. Obviously he's quite funny as Thor but this was different. He is great as Kevin. Also he don't shout one bit, calm voiced and natural comedy. The sandwich moment and covering his eyes after a loud noise had me in bits.

The visuals are also really great in this film on BD but I'm not sure about the whole images coming out of the black bars. Not sure I like that

Also although the visuals are really excellent in this, that final scene when wiig jumps into the portal to rescue mellisa looked so bad and fake it ruined the whole ending. That was one of he funniest moments and it wasn't supposed to be. Only because it looked so awful

• Thanks
Reactions: chunk
I remember you saying a while back that it's not usually until the 2nd or 3rd viewing when you make your mind up.

Whaaaat? You don't like deadpool. Damn. Great steel though

Ok so i watched the extended version of this.

I prefered it a tad more, I also think I know why I liked mellisa a bit more in this,
In her recent films her comedy is shouting and she's slightly more reserved in this which I prefer.
Wiig barely shouts anyway so I prefer her calmness in comedy but the other 2 just do my nut in. Especially the blonde. She over does every scene she's in acting all stupid.

But one of the best things about this film is the realisation that hemsworth can do comedy. Obviously he's quite funny as Thor but this was different. He is great as Kevin. Also he don't shout one bit, calm voiced and natural comedy. The sandwich moment and covering his eyes after a loud noise had me in bits.

The visuals are also really great in this film on BD but I'm not sure about the whole images coming out of the black bars. Not sure I like that

Also although the visuals are really excellent in this, that final scene when wiig jumps into the portal to rescue mellisa looked so bad and fake it ruined the whole ending. That was one of he funniest moments and it wasn't supposed to be. Only because it looked so awful

I watched the original 2 films yesterday but ran out of time for this one so I'm either gonna watch it now or tomorrow.. so I'll look out for the things you mentioned and see what I think, I don't remember much of the film so I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out again. Not sure which disc the extended version is on (probably the 2D) but I'm planning on watching the 3D disc.. I read before someone talking about the picture coming over the black bars, if it was like that at the cinema (in the 3D version I watched), then I didn't notice, so I'll look out for it:thumbs:

I know what you mean about melissa and the shouting, sometimes more subtle comedy is far more effective, (she's more reserved as molly in 'Mike & molly) I notice this a lot with comedies these days(I'm so old, they don't make 'em like they used to:LOL::bag:), they seem to think loud and in your face = funny, that's just not the case.. for me anyway.
Chris can definitely do funny (he would have to have a good sense of humour, didn't he start his acting career in home and away:rofl::emb:),
I watched thor 3 times before I liked the film, I didn't like him at first but he grew on me, if the character was serious I wouldn't like him for sure but I really do like him now, I particularly like the interactions between iron man, thor and captain america (especially between iron man and thor) in the first avengers movie (another 3 goes to actually like/love the movie..honestly, I don't know whats wrong with me :rofl:but at least I recognise it and i'll always give films more than one go when I'm unsure) in the first avenger film I always laugh when thor and iron man insult each other, it's brilliant.

I didn't dislike deadpool, I felt underwhelmed, it was a comedy right? I didnt laugh at all..but I've only seen it once and 3rd times the charm so I don't trust my own opinions till the third watch, I'm on the fac lenti gb, so when I get it I'll watch it again and I bet I enjoy it more.. I do remember thinking that first scene on the motorway was so well done, very entertaining and would have been great in 3D.

I don't remember that scene you mentioned in GB's with the bad cgi, I'll look out for that.. when I was watching the first movie yesterday I thought that the rooftop scene looked quite bad and I'm now wondering if the new ghostbusters did that on purpose or maybe they were going for silly/funny?.. (I hadn't watched either 1 or 2 in a very long time) but I did think that they did a great job with many of the special effects, especially considering when they were made and they really did go all out on building the massive sets.. stay puft was awesome.

Talked about it so much I'm gonna have to pop in in the player:oohyeah:

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
I watched the original 2 films yesterday but ran out of time for this one so I'm either gonna watch it now or tomorrow.. so I'll look out for the things you mentioned and see what I think, I don't remember much of the film so I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out again. Not sure which disc the extended version is on (probably the 2D) but I'm planning on watching the 3D disc.. I read before someone talking about the picture coming over the black bars, if it was like that at the cinema (in the 3D version I watched), then I didn't notice, so I'll look out for it:thumbs:

I know what you mean about melissa and the shouting, sometimes more subtle comedy is far more effective, (she's more reserved as molly in 'Mike & molly) I notice this a lot with comedies these days(I'm so old, they don't make 'em like they used to:LOL::bag:), they seem to think loud and in your face = funny, that's just not the case.. for me anyway.
Chris can definitely do funny (he would have to have a good sense of humour, didn't he start his acting career in home and away:rofl::emb:),
I watched thor 3 times before I liked the film, I didn't like him at first but he grew on me, if the character was serious I wouldn't like him for sure but I really do like him now, I particularly like the interactions between iron man, thor and captain america (especially between iron man and thor) in the first avengers movie (another 3 goes to actually like/love the movie..honestly, I don't know whats wrong with me :rofl:but at least I recognise it and i'll always give films more than one go when I'm unsure) in the first avenger film I always laugh when thor and iron man insult each other, it's brilliant.

I didn't dislike deadpool, I felt underwhelmed, it was a comedy right? I didnt laugh at all..but I've only seen it once and 3rd times the charm so I don't trust my own opinions till the third watch, I'm on the fac lenti gb, so when I get it I'll watch it again and I bet I enjoy it more.. I do remember thinking that first scene on the motorway was so well done, very entertaining and would have been great in 3D.

I don't remember that scene you mentioned in GB's with the bad cgi, I'll look out for that.. when I was watching the first movie yesterday I thought that the rooftop scene looked quite bad and I'm now wondering if the new ghostbusters did that on purpose or maybe they were going for silly/funny?.. (I hadn't watched either 1 or 2 in a very long time) but I did think that they did a great job with many of the special effects, especially considering when they were made and they really did go all out on building the massive sets.. stay puft was awesome.

Talked about it so much I'm gonna have to pop in in the player:oohyeah:

Extended is on the 2D

Not sure about the 3D but I doubt it. Would of meant going back and converting those scenes plus I think the extra 20 mins is mainly talking and "gags" with maybe a tiny bit of extra action

This may sound sexist but I don't mean to be but I can handle males shouting in comedy (sometimes). Not all of it but things like will Ferrell is to funny and he shouts a lot.
But the women I find very funny don't shout. And I find a lot of women funny especially rebel Wilson and wiig.

Yeah he was in home and away lol and he's brilliant as Thor (tbh all the casting in marvel films are pretty spot on. I couldn't see anyone else playing Thor, cap or stark) and i agree especially in the first avengers and the septum is manipulating them before it all
Kicks off and they are ripping in to each other.

Haha, yeah deadpool is a comedy, Reynolds smashed it but each to their own

The rooftop scene in the original only looks bad (to a degree - I still think its fantastic) because of how old it was and they built that whole set and also with minatures etc (like a lot of older films - Star Wars, never ending story and many many more plus it still happens today) but i don't think they did that in the new one because of what you mention, it's just bad the way they are falling. You will see

set pics from the original

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: chunk
Extended is on the 2D

Not sure about the 3D but I doubt it. Would of meant going back and converting those scenes plus I think the extra 20 mins is mainly talking and "gags" with maybe a tiny bit of extra action

This may sound sexist but I don't mean to be but I can handle males shouting in comedy (sometimes). Not all of it but things like will Ferrell is to funny and he shouts a lot.
But the women I find very funny don't shout. And I find a lot of women funny especially rebel Wilson and wiig.

Yeah he was in home and away lol and he's brilliant as Thor (tbh all the casting in marvel films are pretty spot on. I couldn't see anyone else playing Thor, cap or stark) and i agree especially in the first avengers and the septum is manipulating them before it all
Kicks off and they are ripping in to each other.

Haha, yeah deadpool is a comedy, Reynolds smashed it but each to their own

The rooftop scene in the original only looks bad (to a degree - I still think its fantastic) because of how old it was and they built that whole set and also with minatures etc but i don't think they did that in the new one because of what you mention, it's just bad the way they are falling. You will see

set pics from the original

I'm interested in seeing the extended cut, I'll watch the 3D first then the extended cut afterwards to compare:):thumbs:

Lol deadpool was a comedy:emb::emb: to be honest when I watch comedies that are good I still don't laugh out loud much, I am amused and enjoy them though, I'm the same with horrors, I just enjoy the films but I don't get scared at all, my sister came to stay last month and we watched the conjuring and she was getting all kinds of freaked out and I'm just sitting there enjoying the film and not in the slightest bit affected, we then watched the second one (which I do laugh out loud at, maybe horrors are my comedies?) I had to ask my sister at least 5 times during the 2 films if she wanted me to turn them off but she said no(she looked proper scared while she was considering it), I think she could see the quality of the the film making and stuck it out but then made me put a light hearted film on after cos she said she couldn't go to bed after watching them.. just makes me realise that I miss out on a lot when I watch films, I'd love to get scared when watching horrors like I did when I was a kid.

I 100% think I'll enjoy deadpool more next time, it was a very well made film, I just think that I can't have been in the right mood for it when I watched it before.

Yeah, I love those scenes in avengers on the ship/sub/air craft (whatever it was lol) my favorite line from iron man to thor was "Uh, Shakespeare in The Park? Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?":rofl: it's just the way tony says it.:)

I absolutely agree, I watched some of the extras after the movie yesterday, the huge sets they built and the models etc was a mammoth task but must have been so rewarding creatively, that's a huge part of what I love about 80's films and earlier films, if they wanted something they had to create it, build it, make it, blow it up for real or whatever.. so much more enjoyable to watch even if it doesn't always look spot on you can appreciate it..watching those behind the scenes stuff is always more interesting then seeing everything done on green screens.. that's not to say new movies with all of today's technology can't be very well done, cos when it's done right it really can make an impact.. I think it's just what I grew up with so I have a lot of respect for all the extra work that went into the movies.

Also looking forward to watching the bonus disc that came with this set.. it's just not often that the uk gets all the discs with a steelbook release.. very nice surprise :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
I'm hoping i get mine tomorrow, which will be 7 days since it was dispatched :angry::angry::angry:

Independence Day arrived on day 1 and I noticed people started getting their Ghostbusters at the weekend, which would have been day 4 for me, so I don't understand where mine's gone..... :(:(:(

I'm hoping i get mine tomorrow, which will be 7 days since it was dispatched :angry::angry::angry:

Independence Day arrived on day 1 and I noticed people started getting their Ghostbusters at the weekend, which would have been day 4 for me, so I don't understand where mine's gone..... :(:(:(

Think you are one of the unlucky ones who are getting it on or after the release date. the uv code that comes with it had a message when I tried to redeem it that it wouldn't be available till today.

Hope you get your copy tomorrow :)

I'm in the same boat, no sign of my copy either today, hopefully tomorrow, not that I'd be watching it tonight anyhow when I have the walking dead, Westworld and WWE survivor series to watch tonight ;)

Really enjoyed the extended cut last night - most of what was added helped alleviate some of the choppy editing in the theatrical. Only thing I'd change back is Erin's response to the price of the rent - Much funnier in the theatrical IMO!

Great looking steel! Really hope it drops in price at some point.
I've a feeling this one might sell out before that.

On another note I bought the second steelbook with magnet for the extended cut. I thought it was exclusive to that steelbook. I'm a Ghostbusters nut though so don't really mind owning all editions.

Still waiting for my copy of this to arrive..

I've a feeling this one might sell out before that.

On another note I bought the second steelbook with magnet for the extended cut. I thought it was exclusive to that steelbook. I'm a Ghostbusters nut though so don't really mind owning all editions.

Still waiting for my copy of this to arrive..
Extended Cut was always listed on the standard Blu-ray all versions as was the bonus Disc
Same 2D Blu-ray in all releases so every 2D Blu-ray release has the extended cut

Pop Art Steelbook was designed to hold the 3D and 2D discs but they forget to include the Disc hub for the Bonus Disc and is why that is loose in a Disc sleeve

The Steelbook listing on Amazon/HMV etc just highlighted it's the extended but it did not say it was exclusive to that steelbook
Only the artwork and Magnet was exclusive to that steelbook