Ghostbusters (2016) (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: November 21st, 2016 (TBC)
Purchase link: Zavvi (Live at 12 PM UK time, on Monday July 25, 2016)
Price: £23.99

ghost1.jpg

ghost2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Extended Cut was always listed on the standard Blu-ray all versions as was the bonus Disc
Same 2D Blu-ray in all releases so every 2D Blu-ray release has the extended cut

Pop Art Steelbook was designed to hold the 3D and 2D discs but they forget to include the Disc hub for the Bonus Disc and is why that is loose in a Disc sleeve

The Steelbook listing on Amazon/HMV etc just highlighted it's the extended but it did not say it was exclusive to that steelbook
Only the artwork and Magnet was exclusive to that steelbook
Apologies if this has been asked before, but is the 3D disc just the theatrical version?

I'll just take it on the chin if it does go OOS, because there's no chance I'm paying £24 for an average film, even if I do really like the steelbook.

It's rare I do that too mate but this I easily my fav steel from this year that's barebones in sense of no slip or lenti etc

Also, and you can virtual punch me if you like but the extended cut is a bit better than the theatrical. Still has its flaws and I wish the blonde was replaced by Zooey deschanel or someone like that who can actually do kooky But it's slightly better than I remember

But it will most likely drop

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: chunk
It's rare I do that too mate but this I easily my fav steel from this year that's barebones in sense of no slip or lenti etc

Also, and you can virtual punch me if you like but the extended cut is a bit better than the theatrical. Still has its flaws and I wish the blonde was replaced by Zooey deschanel or someone like that who can actually do kooky But it's slightly better than I remember

But it will most likely drop
Maybe a few years ago I would've gone for art over the movie, but I'm a lot more selective now... the movie itself has to at least be something I'd happily rewatch for me to even consider buying it, no matter whether the art is great or not.

Good shout with Zooey by the way... she's definitely perfect at playing the kooky and awkward character. Although, personally I didn't find McKinnon too annoying... her jokes just fell flat a lot of the time. It was McCarthy I couldn't stand, but then I've never been a fan of hers anyway. Even Wiig who I usually love wasn't her usual hilarious self, which was disappointing. Jones character was just loud and unnecessary IMO.

I managed to pick this up for €19 on the German Zavvi site with a code?
Still too expensive for me unfortunately.

• Thanks
Reactions: chunk and Flloydo
Maybe a few years ago I would've gone for art over the movie, but I'm a lot more selective now... the movie itself has to at least be something I'd happily rewatch for me to even consider buying it, no matter whether the art is great or not.

Good shout with Zooey by the way... she's definitely perfect at playing the kooky and awkward character. Although, personally I didn't find McKinnon too annoying... her jokes just fell flat a lot of the time. It was McCarthy I couldn't stand, but then I've never been a fan of hers anyway. Even Wiig who I usually love wasn't her usual hilarious self, which was disappointing. Jones character was just loud and unnecessary IMO.

I originally cancelled my order cos I didn't want to pay that much for a film I just thought was ok, but when the 10% code was working I thought I'll give the film another go.. I watched it again yesterday and felt that the majority of laughs/comedy just fell flat, I laughed twice throughout the whole film yesterday and I think the problem was the jokes were trying too hard to be funny and just didn't hit it for me, I think a lot of the comedy would have worked if it was more subtle, and the actors didn't feel like they were completely comfortable in their rolls but I did think a sequel may work better on that score. I'm glad I bought it for the overall package and the film was ok. With the kooky character, I thought the same as you, she wasn't too annoying, some of her kookyness did fall flat and some of it worked, some of the flatness for me was due to timing and editing(same with the overall comedy in this film) and if done better could have hit more than it missed. I watched a 10 minute interview with all 4 actress's on the ellen show and I laughed more in the first couple of minutes than i did throughout the whole movie so these women can definitely be funny.. it was a lot about timing and trying too hard in the film for me.. definitely watchable though and I would definitely check out a sequel and hope that they would've improved on some of the things that didn't completely work in this one.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I originally cancelled my order cos I didn't want to pay that much for a film I just thought was ok, but when the 10% code was working I thought I'll give the film another go.. I watched it again yesterday and felt that the majority of laughs/comedy just fell flat, I laughed twice throughout the whole film yesterday and I think the problem was the jokes were trying too hard to be funny and just didn't hit it for me, I think a lot of the comedy would have worked if it was more subtle, and the actors didn't feel like they were completely comfortable in their rolls but I did think a sequel may work better on that score. I'm glad I bought it for the overall package and the film was ok. With the kooky character, I thought the same as you, she wasn't too annoying, some of her kookyness did fall flat and some of it worked, some of the flatness for me was due to timing and editing(same with the overall comedy in this film) and if done better could have hit more than it missed. I watched a 10 minute interview with all 4 actress's on the ellen show and I laughed more in the first couple of minutes than i did throughout the whole movie so these women can definitely be funny.. it was a lot about timing and trying too hard in the film for me.. definitely watchable though and I would definitely check out a sequel and hope that they would've improved on some of the things that didn't completely work in this one.
I completely agree... the majority of the jokes felt forced and like they were trying way too hard. Hemsworth was the only one who pulled it off IMO, because he delivered his jokes in a rather subtle way and didn't try to make them any funnier than he had to, which made it feel more natural and unexpected. I usually find Wiig to be really funny, and I did chuckle at her a few times in this, but the others often ruined certain jokes she set up by trying to outdo her - that's one of things I can't stand about McCarthy... it's like she always sees it as a competition and has to be funnier by going OTT.

I'll more than likely give this a rewatch at some point anyway... I'm interested in seeing the extended cut now that @Flloydo has mentioned it. I remember hating Bridesmaids for similar reasons when I first saw that back in 2011, then I rewatched it a few months back and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more! I honestly can't see that happening with Ghostbusters, but we'll see.

• Thanks
Reactions: chunk and Flloydo
I completely agree... the majority of the jokes felt forced and like they were trying way too hard. Hemsworth was the only one who pulled it off IMO, because he delivered his jokes in a rather subtle way and didn't try to make them any funnier than he had to, which made it feel more natural and unexpected. I usually find Wiig to be really funny, and I did chuckle at her a few times in this, but the others often ruined certain jokes she set up by trying to outdo her - that's one of things I can't stand about McCarthy... it's like she always sees it as a competition and has to be funnier by going OTT.

I'll more than likely give this a rewatch at some point anyway... I'm interested in seeing the extended cut now that @Flloydo has mentioned it. I remember hating Bridesmaids for similar reasons when I first saw that back in 2011, then I rewatched it a few months back and enjoyed it a hell of a lot more! I honestly can't see that happening with Ghostbusters, but we'll see.

Also when there is a high price tag attached to our personal enjoyment of a film that does add another element to how we evaluate a film, this for example, all the way through we are judging the film on whether or not it's good enough to throw £23.99, if we (in 6 months time) were looking through a second hand shop like cex and saw this film (an amaray) sitting on the shelf for £3.99 we may not have to think twice but for £23.99 they've gotta hit it out of the park and for this reason, for some of us the film itself fell short.. but there were definitely enjoyable aspects of the movie and good performances in places but it still is a 50/50 film for me. I did find Chris's comedy was hit and miss too, equally with the actresses.
when I first watched gotg I felt the same about their comedy, some of it felt really forced, and I've thought that every time I've watched until the last time when I laughed a lot and didn't feel the jokes fell flat at all, it really is odd how we can enjoy a movie in different ways at different times like with you and bridesmaids, guess it can come down to mood and losing our expectations etc etc.

I did feel that melissa was pretty good in this film, and it was a nice change to see her not shouting and swearing like they've had her do in a few of her other films.

I really do believe if they don't try so hard in a sequel, it has the potential to be very good. also comedians have an added pressure on them to be very funny in films and with ghostbusters I felt like in almost every sentence of the dialog they were going for a laugh, which meant that when a truly funny line comes in you're already in that cringe state and the good line gets totally lost. I only know melissa and leslie Jones are comedians but I don't know the background of the other actresses to comment on the reason they seemed to be forcing the comedy too hard.. and as I said the editing didn't do them any favours.

I haven't watched the extended version yet but flloydo says it adds to the film so I'll definitely be checking that version out next. :) sounds like I hate this movie, I don't at all, I quite liked a lot of things about it I just can't help but watch it and be willing them to just hold back a bit to let the comedy work better.. I may get used to it at some point. And it's definitely a good thing for four women to be heading up the cast, probably another reason I'm a little judgemental cos I wanted it to work perfectly.. I'm so tough on this film, they can not win :rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles

Fair enough. For a new release 3 disc, 3D Steelbook with free shipping I think it's very reasonable :thumbs:

I don't think it's the case we are disputing the value for money for 3D steels. It is because of increase of steels every week or so, plus premiums gives us no choice but to now become more selective and wait for a price drop. Most of the times the steels always drop down in value and you can at least use the discount code when it is In Stock when they removed the code on pre-order.

It's all about being selective now and saving a few quid. It's the gamble we have to take now for the price drop or go OOS.

Now the market is completely overflooded I cannot remember the last time I bought a full priced Zavvi steel on pre-order release date :rofl:

Extended Cut was always listed on the standard Blu-ray all versions as was the bonus Disc
Same 2D Blu-ray in all releases so every 2D Blu-ray release has the extended cut

Pop Art Steelbook was designed to hold the 3D and 2D discs but they forget to include the Disc hub for the Bonus Disc and is why that is loose in a Disc sleeve

The Steelbook listing on Amazon/HMV etc just highlighted it's the extended but it did not say it was exclusive to that steelbook
Only the artwork and Magnet was exclusive to that steelbook

As far as I can see, the Zavvii listing doesn't say anywhere that the steel book contains both theatrical and extended (at least when I'm browsing on my phone) - I rarely use a desktop these days. I thinks it's fair to say it does give the impression that the 'extended' steelbook is exclusive. I know I'm not the only one who thought that. And if I'm not interested in the amaray version, then I wouldn't have looked at it/seen it also contains extended cut.

After checking on my copy, there are both versions on the 2D disc
they are, but amazon did list their magnet steel as being extended where as zavvi made no mention of the extended being included

though am SO happy to have all the extras in the zavvi pop art steel - amazing set and full of extras to make the cost VERY worth it :)

The item that would have been the icing on the cake for me for these three Project Pop Art steelbooks is the little extra available with the German editions and that is the slipbox.
I would have bought all three "Ghostbusters" steelbooks in a U.K version of the slipbox if they'd been available like that instead of individually . . . in the same way that I would have bought all 8 Harry Potter steels had they been made available in that very smart German edition slipbox in which they came.

• Thanks
Reactions: trinitycorps