Release date: November 21, 2016
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zoom
Price: £20.99 (Amazon) - £20.00 (Zoom)
Note: Includes magnet

81i5Z0BRVrL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It includes a Magnet it's not a lenticular magnet

It's most likely just a ghostbusters logo Magnet on the steelbook
If you look at the retailer website description it just says Magnet no mention of a lenticular
All interest in this just evaporated

Ghostbusters (2016) (Steelbook (Magnet Edition)) [Blu-Ray]
So, what do we 'ave 'ere ?
Looks like a swirly blue 'n' black steelbook with a magnet stuck on in the centre - a magnet that if you remove to put on the fridge will leave you with a bare naked steelbook . . . maybe.
Don't really want to write what I think of it as a steelbook but it has lots of other stuff going for it: - regarding content - according to Zoom:-

BD disc configuration: • Disc 1: Blu-ray with both theatrical and extended cut + 1hr of bonus features including filmmaker commentary • Disc 2: Bonus disc featuring over 2 hours of content exclusive to Blu-ray including deleted scenes, featurettes and more!

One good thing about it is that it will go well with the original two U.K. steelbook releases to make a nice little set of three although would go even better with a friggin' title on the front - not as if there's no space for one and not as if it would interfere with the "artwork".

50844_large.jpg
106875_large.jpg

All upcoming U.K. releases of this film appear to have the same design:-

159569_large.jpg
159568_large.jpg
159567_large.jpg
159563_large.jpg
159627_large.jpg

. . . giving you the choice of the set above or this set (which I personally prefer):-

157200_large.jpg
157201_large.jpg
160693_large.jpg

Amazon now pricing it @GBP 20.99 with Zoom the better bet pricewise @GBP 18 :thumbs:

Last edited:
Again, as collector's, we get shafted all the time. People who have the original 2, it would make sense to get the extended version for all steels to match, but no 3d disc. To get the 3d disc, buy Zavvi, but then they all don't match if you have the original 2........... so........... buy all the new designs, so they match, if you want 3d disc!!!
While both my head and wallet hurt, film companies are laughing all the way to the bank at our expense! So frustrating.

Ghostbusters (2016) (Steelbook (Magnet Edition)) [Blu-Ray]
So, what do we 'ave 'ere ?
Looks like a swirly blue 'n' black steelbook with a magnet stuck on in the centre - a magnet that if you remove to put on the fridge will leave you with a bare naked steelbook . . . maybe.
Don't really want to write what I think of it as a steelbook but it has lots of other stuff going for it: - regarding content - according to Zoom:-

BD disc configuration: • Disc 1: Blu-ray with both theatrical and extended cut + 1hr of bonus features including filmmaker commentary • Disc 2: Bonus disc featuring over 2 hours of content exclusive to Blu-ray including deleted scenes, featurettes and more!

One good thing about it is that it will go well with the original two U.K. steelbook releases to make a nice little set of three although would go even better with a friggin' title on the front - not as if there's no space for one and not as if it would interfere with the "artwork".

50844_large.jpg
106875_large.jpg

All upcoming U.K. releases of this film appear to have the same design:-

159569_large.jpg
159568_large.jpg
159567_large.jpg
159563_large.jpg
159627_large.jpg

. . . giving you the choice of the set above or this set (which I personally prefer):-

157200_large.jpg
157201_large.jpg
160693_large.jpg

Amazon now pricing it @GBP 20.99 with Zoom the better bet pricewise @GBP 18 :thumbs:

If it's anything like the Game of Thrones steelbook, it will have the logo underneath the magnet, and will also be debbossed.

• Thanks
Reactions: virkia
Fine . . . if you really want to campare this to these . . .
Anyway, wondering if there's a clear slip to protect the magnet from getting rubbed?
165420_large.jpg

135925_large.jpg
135924_large.jpg
154772_large.jpg
154771_large.jpg

164837_large.jpg
164836_large.jpg

Sony chose this design so they could trick people into buying the terrible remake instead of the classic original.

I doubt it.

Steelbook collectors are pretty savvy with their purchases. We tend to know what we're buying. Did anyone buy Evil Dead thinking it was The Evil Dead? Did anyone buy the Robocop remake by mistake? While the reboot clearly uses the same logo and font as the original, it's been done to tie it to the existing franchise, not to fool anyone into thinking it's the original film. The same could be said with the pop art versions. All three are so similar, and from a distance the original and the reboot would be hard to tell apart.

It's listed as the 2016 version everywhere, even in the title of this thread so it should be clear enough. Even casual buyers (ie: non-steelbook collectors) would be hard pressed to confuse the 2. It's those sort of purchasers (the ones that see things in Tesco and Asda) that are more likely to make mistakes and the cover on that version makes it pretty clear what they're buying.,

Exactly, given that it's not retailer-exclusive, people other than steelbook collectors may buy it, and might make a mistake, imo— obviously most people won't, but given how much of a box-office bomb it was, I expect that choosing this exact design was no accident.

The endless steams of people repeating how much of a bad film as they put it seems unnecessary did we not go through this in the film thread then the first steelbook thread do we need it repeated again. Yes a lot of people didn't like it and it didn't do so great at the box office but some people did like it and do want to buy the steelbooks. For me if everyone in the world hated a film but I loved it, that is all that matters to me.

Just can't decide whether to get 3D or extended steelbook

The endless steams of people repeating how much of a bad film as they put it seems unnecessary did we not go through this in the film thread then the first steelbook thread do we need it repeated again. Yes a lot of people didn't like it and it didn't do so great at the box office but some people did like it and do want to buy the steelbooks. For me if everyone in the world hated a film but I loved it, that is all that matters to me.

Just can't decide whether to get 3D or extended steelbook

Exactly. I totally agree. Plus a lot of people decided they were gonna hate it before even watching it, even now I see people slagging it off and when I ask them what it was about it they didn't like 9 times out of 10 i get 'oh well I haven't actually seen it'.

Is it as good as the original? No, but then I'm objective enough to realise that I'm looking at the original through nostalgic eighties loving rose tinted spectacles. It's a good movie, not a classic, but fun for what it is.

Love the design of this steelbook, it'll sit perfectly with the first two. The only thing to be annoyed about here is that it doesn't include the 3D disc also, I mean really? That's just a sly move and puts me off buying films from a studio when they pull that kind of crap. In the states most releases come as multi disc combo packs with the 3D, the blu Ray, the DVD and the digital, so really grinds my gears when here in the uk we get a bare bones blu Ray of the film.

Disney are the worst for it with their releases compared to the U.S editions which include multiple discs, slips and often the sequel too...for less money!

• Thanks
Reactions: Flash and Mobley

Preach!

For me, its getting to a point where I don't even want to come in to Ghostbusters threads as they're all the same; pages upon pages of people with no interest in buying the steelbook complaining about how much they hated the movie or how pointless it was etc., & then speculating that Sony are trying to trick the average consumer into buying the steelbook thinking its the original.

Reactions: Stuc and Flash
I also wish people would stop saying that this is being marketed in a way to confuse people to pretend that it's the original. IT'S NOT!!!!!

Currently, the new Ghostbusters Lego is also being marketed the exact same way-Ghostbusters 2016. The Lego sets AND the Lego Dimensions content. Unless you're completely thick, there is no way you can mistake one for the other. Even my kids (all under 10) know the difference.

Anyway, anyone who's a fan of the originals more than likely has them on BD already........

Last edited:
Reactions: JCC and Flash
I actually loved the new ghostbusters, i grew up with the original (my mum recorded it on vhs for when i was born in 1986) but this new one was a fresh new take on ghostbusters.

People on the net seemed to have jumped on a bandwagon of hatred for this movie, there is nothing wrong with this version, people think remakes destroy the originals when no they dont, its like comic books, comics are rehashed all the time but the thing that makes it great is everytime its a fresh new take on the same material.

Nothing wrong with having different versions to watch for the same franchise, the original is always going to be there for people to enjoy, nothing will ever take away from that.

I actually loved the new ghostbusters, i grew up with the original (my mum recorded it on vhs for when i was born in 1986) but this new one was a fresh new take on ghostbusters.

People on the net seemed to have jumped on a bandwagon of hatred for this movie, there is nothing wrong with this version, people think remakes destroy the originals when no they dont, its like comic books, comics are rehashed all the time but the thing that makes it great is everytime its a fresh new take on the same material.

Nothing wrong with having different versions to watch for the same franchise, the original is always going to be there for people to enjoy, nothing will ever take away from that.

Generally I love remakes.

Not because they're generally better (some are like John Carpenter's The Thing and Philip Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers being 2), but because it often means we get a new special feature packed edition of the original. Pretty much all of my favourite movies have been either remade, rebooted or followed by dreadful sequels (sometimes all 3). I still love Psycho (1960), The Wicker Man (1973), Dracula (1931) and The Wolf Man (1941), no matter what has come since.

Oh, and if anyone cares, I thought Ghostbusters (2016) was worse than Ghostbusters (1984) but better than Ghostbusters II.

Really like the artwork but the film is terrible. Went in expecting nothing because the reviews were bad. Normally I come out liking the movie but this is pants. Can't spend my money on this