Gladiator Ultimate Edition (Blu-ray SteelBook) (HDzeta Exclusive No.3) [China]

wxlinkswd

泽田
Premium Supporter
Feb 1, 2011
China
Release date: March, 2015
Notes: Glossy finish, Title and Helmet Embossed
Steelbook Made in Denmark, Limited 3000 copies.
Disc: Remasterd Disc +Bonus disc, 2 discs are Region Free

* Note, the Lenticular is not glued to slip, it is loose. It was supposed to be loose, according to the design by HDzeta, but this was not clear in the mockup. Someone will be in contact you with to determine whether you wish to receive the product as intended, or wait for a 'glued' replacement from your hub leader, after Xin sends it to them.

Group Buy details (click on spoiler)
1. GB-Gladiator Ultimate Edition Tripack Version Round 1 ---100 copies for HDN
Price: 160 $US (include shipping to hub)
Group Buy Link < Click (SOLD OUT)

2. GB-Gladiator Ultimate Edition Tripack Version Round 2 ---200 copies for HDN
Price: 160 $US (include shipping to hub)
Group Buy Link < click (SOLD OUT)

3. GB-Gladiator Ultimate Edition Lenticular Version --- 300-400 copies for HDN
Price: 56 $US (include shipping to hub)
Group Buy Link < click

4. GB-Gladiator Ultimate Edition Normal Slip Version --- 200-300 copies for HDN
Price: 53 $US (include shipping to hub)
Group Buy Link < click

5. GB-Gladiator Ultimate Edition Quarter Slip Version --- 150 copies for HDN
Price: 50 $US (include shipping to hub)
Group Buy Link < click

6. GB-Gladiator Ultimate Edition Lenticular/Normal/Quarter Slip Version Round 2 --- 150 copies for HDN
Price: 56$ / 53$ / 50$
Group Buy Link < click

full

full

All the different editions:
Lenticular Slip:
(with normal number card) 1300 copies(No.0001-No.0500 for the boxset, not sold seperatly)
full

Normal Slip: (with normal number card) 1000 copies(No.0001-No.0500 for the boxset, not sold seperatly)
full

1/4 Slip: (with normal number card) 700 copies(No.0001-No.0500 for the boxset, not sold seperatly)
full

Triple Boxset Artwork: (with Special Metal Number card) Only 500 copies, No.0001-No.0500
full

For in-hand pics, see this post.

Item delayed due to manufacturing/printing issue.
Please see Xin's updated post here

**Please direct all inquiries regarding Steelbook payments, invoices, etc to Alex**
Hubs will invoice for shipping later when Steelbooks are received by the hub leaders.

To know the GB go time in your area, please use this user friendly TIMEZONE CONVERTER

Last edited by a moderator:
And, before anyone throws the baby out with the bathwater - I too used to work in the retail trade - as a Jeweller, and we held the highest standards, and kept to the maxim: 'The customer is always right'.

Enough said!

And that's what they are doing, they have rejected a batch because it wasn't up to standards, if someone had supplied you with substandard goods you would reject them and get them from someone else.

HDzeta cannot do that as the have to get steelbooks from Scanavo and so have to wait for them because Scanavo have a monopoly.

Just be patient.

Let the steelbook process finish properly. We all want a nice quality steelbook in hand and not some rushed job.

After all this is HDZeta and they want to stand for quality. This isn't a cheap Zavvi release!

You be grateful for a substandard case if you want to; but I will keep this in context of the fact that we are NOT talking of a bargain basement item we've ordered, and the delay is NOT inconsiderable; so why should anyone be grateful for cast offs?! Furthermore, it's no use saying HD Zeta are not responsible - it is as much down to them, as Scanavo to ensure quality standards are met ON TIME!

In the final analysis what they are doing is tantamount to peeing in your shoes and telling you it's raining!

And, before anyone throws the baby out with the bathwater - I too used to work in the retail trade - as a Jeweller, and we held the highest standards, and kept to the maxim: 'The customer is always right'.

Enough said!

Not exactly sure what are you after here @JackRegan ? But you've already ended your previous post with 'Enough said!' so let's assume you have nothing else to offer to this debate, shall we?

You / we have all been given the opportunity to back out of the GB at any stage and be refunded in full. Any of us who stayed in the GB have essentially agreed to the revised 'terms and conditions' that there is a significant delay to this release but at the end of it we will be receiving the best product they could supply. If you are only staying in the GB to ensure you get significant compensation then you're always going to set yourself up for disappointment. If you stayed in the GB because you want an awesome steelbook (and additional slip / goodies package) at the end of it then you will not be disappointed. And you will have a free empty case which you can display / put under your table leg to stop the table rocking / whatever...

No one else is really complaining. Those who were complaining have either dropped out of the GB or wound their necks in. Mainly because there isn't really any negotiation in the compensation they are offering. It's more a gesture of goodwill. Take it or leave it at the end of the day.

Anyway, we all know the true maxim: 'The customer isn't always right, you just have to let them think they are'. ;)

PS - Sorry for posting negatively during Ninja Week. I hope I don't kill everyone's buzz :sorry:

Not exactly sure what are you after here @JackRegan ? But you've already ended your previous post with 'Enough said!' so let's assume you have nothing else to offer to this debate, shall we?

You / we have all been given the opportunity to back out of the GB at any stage and be refunded in full. Any of us who stayed in the GB have essentially agreed to the revised 'terms and conditions' that there is a significant delay to this release but at the end of it we will be receiving the best product they could supply. If you are only staying in the GB to ensure you get significant compensation then you're always going to set yourself up for disappointment. If you stayed in the GB because you want an awesome steelbook (and additional slip / goodies package) at the end of it then you will not be disappointed. And you will have a free empty case which you can display / put under your table leg to stop the table rocking / whatever...

No one else is really complaining. Those who were complaining have either dropped out of the GB or wound their necks in. Mainly because there isn't really any negotiation in the compensation they are offering. It's more a gesture of goodwill. Take it or leave it at the end of the day.

Anyway, we all know the true maxim: 'The customer isn't always right, you just have to let them think they are'. ;)

PS - Sorry for posting negatively during Ninja Week. I hope I don't kill everyone's buzz :sorry:

Look, really, it's quite simple.

Frankly, I never asked for compensation - I just want the steelbook as advertised - period!

Equally, I don't want all the BS that has accompanied this release. As I said previously, HD Zeta are just as responsible for quality control and keeping to a deadline as are Scanavo. To blame one and not the other is a particularly biased way of viewing the situation.

Allied to this, I don't want someone coming along from HD Zeta and palming me off with a substandard empty case and telling me that is compensation - what that is, is an insult to the intelligence!
This isn't, as someone said, remotely like BluFans selling the V1 case for ten bucks. They are mint and undamaged, and were offered as an alternative as they changed their mind on the artwork during the productiion process.

If we all received a truly sincere apology and an assurance that this nonsense will not occur again (i.e. that they have improvements in hand, etc.) then that would be more than adequate.
The apologies so far have been half-hearted at best, and there hs been no assurance of improvements in the way they handle potential problems and overcoming delays.

Were Hd Zeta to offer any form of compensation - and as I have now made clear, I am not actually asking for one - then a discount on a future HD Zeta exclusive of your choice would have been the fairest approach all round

The maxim from the insiders point of view is actually "The customer is always right; even when they are wrong" - so yes, you got it.

I'm not really being negative about the release at all. Anyone should be able to discern that much. It is just their approach to customer relations that I have a problem with.
Now if that is bad of me to have a valid opinion, or anyone thinks that makes me a 'troll' then such people really need to get out more and smell the flowers.

Hope that clears things up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zoneism
Kind of weird to see some of the responses in this thread. Maybe buying other collectibles has jaded me to the fact that delays happen all the time. Some people here should never order anything from places like Sideshow or eFX or XM Studios, as stuff that's projected to be released gets actually released 6-9 months later. Not too mention BluFans.

I get the frustration in delays for something you want. But I have no reason to believe HDZeta is scamming me out of my money. And even if someone did, you can get a refund and move on. Cause those are the basic choices. Wait or ask for a refund. Trying to place blame or dictate how things should have been serve no real purpose.

Reactions: jitstark
It's been so long, can somebody just remind me what was wrong with the original steelbook. Was it just that Ridley Scott's name wasn't on it?

I don't mind we are getting the rejected steelbook empty case as I will put it to use and put discs from standard Blu-ray release into the steelbook

The Gladiator steelbook empty case its free as its not cost me anything extra to what I have already paid for
I'm still getting a Lenticular Gladiator Steelbook that I originally ordered and HDZeta made sure what I ordered is perfect without any mistakes

I would though have preferred as compensation free shipping instead of the empty steelbook case which would have meant I had no extra expense to pay and be shipped direct from china instead of a Hub

Note
In saying all this I'm still getting what I ordered and paid for
They did not have to offer any compensation just provide us with what we ordered so we do get something we were never expecting as a bonus

I'm looking forward to getting my Gladiator Lenticular Steelbook

Is the free case we are getting the ones that the text scratches off really easily? I remember they had to get them redone because that was happening and just curious if those are the ones we are getting. I'm fine if it doesn't have Ridley's name, but hopefully the rest of the text doesn't easily come off!

The mods on this site do an exceptional job. Far better than any other forum. :)

We are almost there with the steelbook, should get shipping notices anytime now. I understand some people were frustrated when second delay was announced but HDZeta already made it right time and again - starting with numerous apologies, chance to backout, freebie. Seriously if someone stayed after that in GB and still complaining then its completely your fault.

This was the first time HDZ got delayed with there steelbook. Last releases were spot on time. Also this is not the first time we are seeing delay with Asian retailers (Blufans anyone??) so I think most people should now come in terms to expect this.

Ahem...

As I said a long time back, and as it says under the spoiler...

Payment is only required on RELEASE WEEK.

More fool me for paying on November 16 (although it wasn't until after the payment deadline that HDZeta first said there was a problem). I was annoyed by the first delay. Followed by more delays and apologies and excuses.

I also become very annoyed by people here that say things like 'move along and make way for the truly appreciated folks for this awesome collectible'. I didn't realise there was an 'appreciattion bar' that you had to jump over in order to be allowed to buy this. I thought being an HDN member was enough. If you're happy to give your money to a company that doesn't have any tangible product to sell and wait months, or a year after you've paid good for you. That's not me and it seems some others agree.

As for all these YOU'RE WRONG. NO, YOU'RE WRONG type exchanges.

Ahem...

As I said a long time back, and as it says under the spoiler...

More fool me for paying on November 16 (although it wasn't until after the payment deadline that HDZeta first said there was a problem). I was annoyed by the first delay. Followed by more delays and apologies and excuses.

I also become very annoyed by people here that say things like 'move along and make way for the truly appreciated folks for this awesome collectible'. I didn't realise there was an 'appreciattion bar' that you had to jump over in order to be allowed to buy this. I thought being an HDN member was enough. If you're happy to give your money to a company that doesn't have any tangible product to sell and wait months, or a year after you've paid good for you. That's not me and it seems some others agree.

As for all these YOU'RE WRONG. NO, YOU'RE WRONG type exchanges.

Then I would politely say that these Asian group buys are not for you. I will reiterate one point though. Other than Amazon, most Asian retailers take payment during pre order. Also delays IMO is not an excuse that would change my commitment to the group buy. There have been far worse delays over the years but they always deliver so for me it is part of these exclusive group buys. Blufans releases are always delayed. Off course refunds are always issued to those disgruntled by the delays. I am personally quite happy to wait for a quality steelbook rather than a sub standard release to meet a due date.

frankfish44 - Re Asian releases, perhaps. The HDN blufans Iron Man was invoiced only after the product was ready to ship. I think it was 4 weeks from payment to it arriving. I've only ordered a couple of KimchiDVD releases and they were both delayed - but by days, not months. I bought Lawrence of Arabia on ebay; only a few days from payment to arrival. If I thought there was a chance of buying this on ebay without a 50-100% markup I'd do that, but it seems the steelbook market is dominated by resellers wanting a quick buck these days.

The argument abut waiting for a quality steelbook rather than a sub standard release to meet a due date doesn't hold water. The HDZeta Gladiator announcement clearly states what was on offer; it wasn't going to be a 'sub-standard' release. The steelbook they received that caused the delay wasn't sub-standard; it merely omitted Ridley Scott's name. The delays have never been about sub-standard product. I hope we've cleared up that misconception.

In this case I think it was a mistake for HDZeta to invoice before they had the steelbook in hand, and yes I know lots of people disagree because its the best steelbook ever - until the next one.

Poor ESM999, I feel so sorry for you having to read all the posts from complainers. Poor love.