Going to New York...what to do?

Hooch

Clan of OES
Premium Supporter
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Well....I like to plan ahead and I am looking to visit NY around March or April next year, together with my wife. I have never been to the US before (!) and I have decided to start with "the big apple".

We will be staying around 1 week, not exactly sure what area but Manhattan looks promising. It will be basicallly some shooping and sightseeing and we enjoy eating at nice places (doesnt have to be expensive as fudge!) burgers and fries will do just fine. I dont want to run around like a squirrel on meth, nice and easy with the sightseeing and try to avoid the tourist traps.

I dont know...maybe catch a show? I would love some sports...but thats gonna be hard with the missus!

There is soo much info on the net, but I would like to hear from you ninjas some ideas on what to do.

Oh, also @Hooch - don't get stuck on MOMA or the Guggenheim Museums. They are HUGE.
The best way to do either of those is to PLAN which part you would like to see. It would take a week to see all the art.
You get the drift! Planning is everything!

• Thanks
Reactions: Hooch
@C.C. 95 you mean like this
my-nc-collection-jpg.254559

@Hooch watch out for @bloodsnake007

yeah, you are right @raspor I will absolutely be on the look out to avoid any scary looking dude like that!
6e3ebdb13ffc399cdda8d300be8364f4c8f15c7fcb296f761ccda691bc89178d.gif

Reactions: raspor
Almost forgot, Natural history museum :thumbs: I had a blast there :) if you are interested at all, you can spend a day there easily :thumbs:

Thanks guys....anyone familiar if there are some more "movie theme" stores or places to buy movies? I also collect laserdisc and vinyls if there are some second hand places?

Food:
Churrascaria Plataforma - Brazilian Rodizzio - Expensive, Excellent
Peter Lugers - Steak house in Brooklyn (you would have to take a train there from Manhattan, but would be worth it) - Expensive, some of the highest rated steak in the US, CASH ONLY, make reservations
Sammy's Noodle Shop - Asian - inexpensive, get the shumai and a noodle soup, bring an appetite
Katz Deli or 2nd Avenue Deli - Moderate Expensive
Juniors Cheescake (Dessert) - the original is in Brooklyn but they have a shop in Manhattan in Times Square

Museums
MOMA - you can do a guided tour with a docent
Natural History

Touristy Things
Staten Island Ferry
South Street Seaport
Ellis Island
Statue of Liberty
Top of the Rock
Walk Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens (might be too early in the season)
Bronx Zoo (might still be a bit too cold)
See a Concert/Basketball/Hockey Game at Madison Square Garden

Broadway - Pick a show and buy tickets in advance or bring an open mind and go to the TKTS booth which has daily discounts, discounts and available shows will be different each day

Reactions: Hooch
@mllNY Thanks....lots of good info there! You have any recommendations when it comes to movie/ht stuff and where to buy movies?

Thanks again!