Guardians of the Galaxy (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Lenticular) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: November 30, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £24.99

11192347-3134340183123646.jpg

11192347-8164340183137617.jpg 11192347-1784340183165841.jpg

And then again, for the billionth time, Zavvi is not responsible for the finish. It seems like it's never going to seep in and the first reflex will always be to bark at the wrong tree.

However Disney, which handles home video sales for this title and many Marvel titles, has had a habbit of giving, if not a gloss treatment to their catalogue titles (most recently, John Carter), at least spot gloss (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). ;) But it's Marvel specifically here so who knows, there hasn't been any wave like that ever (Zavvi's Thor and Captain America in October 2013 aren't really informative comparison points here).

But yes, it is more convenient to take it all out on the usual suspect.

Much like how Zavvi isn't responsible for the design/finish of upcoming Zavvi exclusives Ant Man & Inside Out, or the Po(o)p Art waves. Now we can shi.t on them all we want for their packaging*, their communication or their sales tactics/mind games, but for art choices :panda:... I doubt they go to Disney and boss them around on what the art of the steelbooks for their films should be. I imagine Zavvi still has a right to pass, and for true exclusives (e.g: StudioCanal & Lionsgate catalogue releases mostly), they probably have a bigger say, but they're not in control of the entire process. And I believe the gloss/matte decision happens with the studio designers, because often steelbooks are designed specifically with spot gloss/embossing in mind on some part of the artwork: Zavvi doesn't decide that.

* I said this before, it still holds up: I must have received a couple of damaged steelbooks from Zavvi (tiny dings mostly) and spine slashes on 2-3 steelbooks (Jungle Book and the animated Cinderella for sure, and another one I think). That's it, and I have ordered nearly 150 steelbooks from them over the past two and a half years :shy:! But I never vomit repeatedly on them in these threads, so maybe it's karma, or postal workers in my area are more careful with packages :D.

Jumping on the hate train to be cool isn't that cool, kids :old:. Zavvi have released more than 160 exclusive steelbooks this year (I did the math recently, and I bought about 47 from them), some UK exclusives, some actual exclusives. That's a whole lot! I know some beloved/untouchable retailers releasing only a handful of steelbooks each year and yet they have faulty products: scratched lenticulars, bogus 'loose' lenticulars (that's personal :D), delays becoming the norm, bad Blu-ray discs, bad servers, tricky cancellation process... But they're 'exotic' so we don't blame them too hard, too long or systematically.

As for GotG, I love that artwork (not as much as the Blufans one though), but I already have the FNAC WWA cassette and the BluFans UE, so I shall pass on this and all of this Marvel wave except Iron Man 2, which I don't already have in steelbook :ironman::ironman:.

Last edited:
And then again, for the billionth time, Zavvi is not responsible for the finish. It seems like it's never going to seep in and the first reflex will always be to bark at the wrong tree.

No, but as with every other Zavvi exclusive they must have been told exactly what they are getting from the studio before they place their order with them. It's up to them to speak up if they think there's a quality issue with the item(s) they are purchasing.

Regarding your comment about 160 exclusive steelbooks from Zavvi this year - how many of those were generally accepted as being of a high standard - the sort of quality that makes people want to get into the steelbook hobby in the first place?

From Zavvi on Facebook and Twitter

Marvel-Logo2.jpg

Marvel fans assemble! ‪‎MarvelDay‬ is back on Zavvi... 20.11.5

Who's excited? Make sure to tag your fellow Marvel addicts so they don't miss out on the Marvel shopping event of the year!

Back in April, Zavvi’s ‘Marvel Day’ took place for the first time and on Friday 20th November it returns in full force!

In the wake of the ever-expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe, this Christmas you can guarantee that Marvel will be at the top of everyone’s wish lists and this ‘Marvelous’ Zavvi event will see exclusive product launches, (perhaps even some Steelbooks!), epic site-wide deals and sensational social competitions happening across the day. If you missed out last time, be sure to get involved!

Here’s just some of the fantastic prizes you could win on the day of the event.
Prizes-01.jpg

Reactions: Smelly_Pickle
From Zavvi on Facebook and Twitter

View attachment 200968
Marvel fans assemble! ‪‎MarvelDay‬ is back on Zavvi... 20.11.5

Who's excited? Make sure to tag your fellow Marvel addicts so they don't miss out on the Marvel shopping event of the year!

Back in April, Zavvi’s ‘Marvel Day’ took place for the first time and on Friday 20th November it returns in full force!

In the wake of the ever-expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe, this Christmas you can guarantee that Marvel will be at the top of everyone’s wish lists and this ‘Marvelous’ Zavvi event will see exclusive product launches, (perhaps even some Steelbooks!), epic site-wide deals and sensational social competitions happening across the day. If you missed out last time, be sure to get involved!

Here’s just some of the fantastic prizes you could win on the day of the event.
View attachment 200969

Thanks for this. Looks like we will be waiting till the 20th for gotg

Be interesting to see if the release date of 30th November remains the same. There is too much other stuff being released on that day for my liking.

I hope this is delayed until early next year, January for example, please zavvi, give us some breathing space...

Reactions: Flash and Flloydo
Be interesting to see if the release date of 30th November remains the same. There is too much other stuff being released on that day for my liking.

I hope this is delayed until early next year, January for example, please zavvi, give us some breathing space...

I missed out on the other GOTG releases and can't wait for this one. I don't mind when they release it but I would like to know so that I don't miss out . Sooner rather than later so I don't spend the rest of my life refreshing the pre-order page lol