digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: November 24th, 2014
Purchase Link: Guardians of the Galaxy
Price: £24.99
Notes: Includes 3D disc, Limited to 5,000 units
*Note: Live again as of 11/28-add both to cart from here. You should then see a 25.99 GBP discount applied in cart.

01.jpg

00.jpg
thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Disney got burnt with the Avengers briefcase so it's understandable for them to keep away from any licencing issues.
The steelbook is what it is and there is not much that can be done about it. If you really hate it then you should stick to your convictions and cancel it.
I think it looks fine, nothing outstanding, but better than other releases Disney Marvel have brought out.
If a better one comes out in the future then great, but I will probably end up getting a wave 2 boxset anyway.

Shows how much you know, mate. Why is it so hard to believe people will go ahead and cancel their orders??? I had 2 copies ordered before the art was revealed. Both now cancelled. I'd rather have an annoying gap in my Marvel collection than pay good money for this attrocity, and I suspect that many of the people who are keeping their orders are only doing so for similar OCD reasons, not because they like the art. Of course there are some people that would go all out to defend this steelbook even if the art was just a massive brown skidmark across the front....

I wouldn't say "most" of the people keeping their order are doing so for OCD reasons. I'd say "some". Even though you find it hard to believe that are people that do actually like this. Considering that a quarter of the people who answered the poll on this for said they like it, it's really not that hard to believe that there is at least the 5000 people that do actually like this.

I've missed out on a ton of steelbooks due to not liking the art or because the price is too high. For example the Under the skin steelbook, in my opinion, had terrible art work but because it's super glossy it's considered a good steelbook. There were plenty that didn't like it but you didn't see them constantly mentioning it over and over again. The constant bashing of this steel is getting really old, really fast. We get it, some don't like it, but there are plenty that do.

I wouldn't say "most" of the people keeping their order are doing so for OCD reasons. I'd say "some". Even though you find it hard to believe that are people that do actually like this. Considering that a quarter of the people who answered the poll on this for said they like it, it's really not that hard to believe that there is at least the 5000 people that do actually like this.

I've missed out on a ton of steelbooks due to not liking the art or because the price is too high. For example the Under the skin steelbook, in my opinion, had terrible art work but because it's super glossy it's considered a good steelbook. There were plenty that didn't like it but you didn't see them constantly mentioning it over and over again. The constant bashing of this steel is getting really old, really fast. We get it, some don't like it, but there are plenty that do.
Easy response to that is because Under The Skin is a **** film. Guardians, on the other hand, is ******* awesome. That's why so many more people have raised their voices.

It's fair enough expressing opinions but why is it that you get slated for defending this design? Surely people are entitled to that opinion to...

If some like it, that's fine.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the design isn't even accurate to what it's supposed to represent. In fact, represent is probably the right word. The design represents the Walkman (and tape) from the movie, what it doesn't do is replicate them (dimensions not withstanding). This to me, is the biggest flaw.

What was the point in Disney choosing the one thing they couldn't actually use to represent the film? Why make your steelbook look like a Walkman when you cant/don't...

1) use the Walkman logo
2) use the right colour-scheme
3) get the buttons right on the spine
4) even get the ink on the tape the right colour

This, is the issue for me.

When there were so many great posters designed for the movie, Disney have gone for the dullest, most inaccurate option they could.

Lets me honest here, when it comes to dire artwork, nothing beats the "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "Butch Cassidy" and the other half dozen that were done last year like them. They were hated, fans made it clear what they thought of them from the outset. Yet despite all that they went ahead. To make maters worse the same idea was recently used on USA steelbook releases like Psycho. So you can bet fans waiting for the USA one suddenly imported the UK all region steelbook which had a vast superior design. The bottom line is we have to assume that the companies don't listen or bother to listen to the fans. They have an idea and go with it regardless how unpopular it is...... Consumer feedback does not seem to come into it........

Reactions: HUBMUSWELL

I don't think it's a good comparison. Under the Skin was generally well received, naturally there were a few that didn't like it but that's going to happen with every release. This on the other hand is unprecedented, I don't think there has ever been a Steelbook that has been as widely disliked.

Reactions: schrute farms
Well it certainly got people talking, eh? :giggle:

Besides I need this for my notorious/widely despised Steelbook collection. Boy do I look forward to explaining this to my grandkids one day. :rofl:

I don't think it's a good comparison. Under the Skin was generally well received, naturally there were a few that didn't like it but that's going to happen with every release. This on the other hand is unprecedented, I don't think there has ever been a Steelbook that has been as widely disliked.

Spider-Man 1,2 AND 3 from Future Shop :p

Reactions: lolwut
Lets me honest here, when it comes to dire artwork, nothing beats the "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "Butch Cassidy" and the other half dozen that were done last year like them. They were hated, fans made it clear what they thought of them from the outset. Yet despite all that they went ahead. To make maters worse the same idea was recently used on USA steelbook releases like Psycho. So you can bet fans waiting for the USA one suddenly imported the UK all region steelbook which had a vast superior design. The bottom line is we have to assume that the companies don't listen or bother to listen to the fans. They have an idea and go with it regardless how unpopular it is...... Consumer feedback does not seem to come into it........

With those titles though, I don't think any of them were parts of a massive franchise where people had been buying each installment as they came out.

The Day the Earth Stood Still is one of my favourite movies, but I chose not to get the steelbook as I hated the artwork. Having that one missing from my personal collection is not as obvious as having GotG missing, when I have every other Marvel steelbook available (including Fox and Sony releases etc.).

I'm still going to get GotG despite my dislike of the design, for the sake of completion. It won't be front and centre, nor will I be proud to own it, but I'll have it and that will have to do. Should a better version come along, I won't get that version. I'm afraid I'm a bit lazy and go for the easiest option. I preferred the titles on the spine of CA: TWS and Thor: TDW, but being in the UK, it was much easier to let the Zavvi versions come through the letterbox.

Of course, each to their own.

Reactions: justboy
For me with steelbooks the art comes first the film comes second. I cancelled this because of the artwork. I love the film, my fave marvel film to date but let's be honest, I don't need to pay anything to watch this in full HD (wink wink).

I subscribed this thread because I missed out on the preorders and waiting for them to go back in stock. But all I'm getting is the discussion of thr artwork. Serisously, Disney is not going to change the art no matter how many people dislike it. So if you dont like it, dont buy it. If you like it, get it. It doesnt matter if the other people dont like the things you like.
And isnt there another thread specifically for artwork discustion of this steelbook?
Thread unsubscribed.

Reactions: justhedudeman
I subscribed this thread because I missed out on the preorders and waiting for them to go back in stock. But all I'm getting is the discussion of thr artwork. Serisously, Disney is not going to change the art no matter how many people dislike it. So if you dont like it, dont buy it. If you like it, get it. It doesnt matter if the other people dont like the things you like.
And isnt there another thread specifically for artwork discustion of this steelbook?
Thread unsubscribed.

I have nothing useful to say here, I'm just quoting your post so you get another notification on for this thread :naughty: :hilarious:

This is just a bit of banter, hopefully you don't get offended... :thumbs:

So conflicted about this release. There are so many reasons to cancel it... I really don't like the design at all and I thought the film was decent, but not as fantastic as people made it out to be (it's not even in my top 5 marvel films)... but if I don't get this I'll have an incomplete collection. :( So I haven't cancelled... yet.

I'm hoping KimchiDVD/Novamedia will come to the rescue and anounce a version with an awesome lenticular/full slip to hide the turd of a Steelbook :bag: (if they're forced to use the same one rather than able to have WEA) before this one is released.

If this wasn't a Marvel steelbook I'd have cancelled long ago.

Last edited:
Thread unsubscribed.

You are surprised that people are discussing the artwork of a steelbook?