digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: November 24th, 2014
Purchase Link: Guardians of the Galaxy
Price: £24.99
Notes: Includes 3D disc, Limited to 5,000 units
*Note: Live again as of 11/28-add both to cart from here. You should then see a 25.99 GBP discount applied in cart.

01.jpg

00.jpg
thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's going to be a title on the front horizontally, but no title on the spine neither. :(

from what I was told, No Title in Front and neither on Spine, title less.

I'm scared of saying so, as there so much strong opinion on people not liking this steel as it is not like in the movie(which I haven't seen it yet but been hearing around) but I personally also am starting to love this steelbook. For me though It's Taiwan same steel and most probably super nice slip which I can't wait to see ouuppps wrong thread I shouldn't have said that :muted:

Last edited:
from what I was told, No Title in Front and neither on Spine, title less.

I'm scared of saying so, as there so much strong opinion on people not liking this steel as it is not like in the movie(which I haven't seen it yet but been hearing around) but I personally also am starting to love this steelbook. For me though It's Taiwan same steel and most probably super nice slip which I can't wait to see ouuppps wrong thread I shouldn't have said that :muted:

I probably should have worded that better, I meant the FS and BB steels would have a title on the front, but not the spine. This steel is still meh for me, it probably will grow on me once I have it hand.

I probably should have worded that better, I meant the FS and BB steels would have a title on the front, but not the spine. This steel is still meh for me, it probably will grow on me once I have it hand.

Ah oki, yes at first found it blah but I am liking it now. I actually prefer more the no Title on it as it feels more like the real thing. I saw a boombox with that cassette small preview I saw before I shut my eyes and blocked my ears so I see nothing during the preview lol but I think it might have to do with that, in the movie it's a boombox and the steel is a walkman, if this is why people are saying it is not like in the movie, well I think that they did a good compromise as the walkman steel is cool. Looking forward to it but I'm going with Taiwan all the way !

• Helpful Post
Reactions: RobertJoseph17
Ah oki, yes at first found it blah but I am liking it now. I actually prefer more the no Title on it as it feels more like the real thing. I saw a boombox with that cassette small preview I saw before I shut my eyes and blocked my ears so I see nothing during the preview lol but I think it might have to do with that, in the movie it's a boombox and the steel is a walkman, if this is why people are saying it is not like in the movie, well I think that they did a good compromise as the walkman steel is cool. Looking forward to it but I'm going with Taiwan all the way !
He DOES carry a Walkman in the movie, just not THIS walkman, lol.

ah oki now it makes all sense, but would it have been realistic that they would have been able to design a replica of the film walkman for a steelbook release, or they did their best ?
No, this isn't a case of them 'doing their best'. The steelbook design is based on an actual Sony Walkman design, just the incorrect model- See my post a few pages back where I posted the image of the actual Walkman this steelbook was based on.
I originally thought that the image used on this steelbook was a 'generic' design, but the design team went out of their way, researched the Walkman image, removed the Sony logo, and used this.
Shame its completely the wrong Walkman to the one in the movie...

Disney got burnt with the Avengers briefcase so it's understandable for them to keep away from any licencing issues.
The steelbook is what it is and there is not much that can be done about it. If you really hate it then you should stick to your convictions and cancel it.
I think it looks fine, nothing outstanding, but better than other releases Disney Marvel have brought out.
If a better one comes out in the future then great, but I will probably end up getting a wave 2 boxset anyway.
The thing that's annoyed me above and beyond everything else in this whole saga is that the steelbook is actually based on an actual Walkman design that Sony made and released.

I was always under the impression that the steelbook Walkman was just a generic design, made to avoid any licensing issues as you've stated in your post, but the design team have actively researched and used a design based on an existing Sony Walkman. Only problem for them is that they totally screwed up and ended up getting the 'wrong' Walkman to the one that was used in the movie.

It's a shame that we haven't/won't be able to get any feedback from the design team into the process behind this release...

Do you guys think it will at least have some embossing and be glossy. Because if it isn't then it will defiantly be the worst marvel steelbook. Such a shame this one is not that great since they were getting better and better with each phase 2 release.

I just can't understand how anyone can think like this. Even if you like the idea of it, it's SO badly executed. They didn't have the rights to use the actual walkman from the movie so they just slapped any old cassette player on the case and hoped people wouldn't notice. Basically tenderheartbear summed it better (and much funnier) on the last page...
Was just skimming through the posts on this board and came across your comment...

Scroll through to page 55 and you'll see that the artwork used on this steelbook is actually based on an existing Sony Walkman that's physically been released in the real World.

This makes this steelbook release that much worse- The fact is, they surely could of used Peter Quills Walkman from the movie on this basis (less the Sony logo of course...) but chose to totally f it up and release the artwork with a irrelevant and completely different Walkman model.

Makes you think that the design team simply did a Google image search for Sony Walkman models and chose the first one they came across.