digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: November 24th, 2014
Purchase Link: Guardians of the Galaxy
Price: £24.99
Notes: Includes 3D disc, Limited to 5,000 units
*Note: Live again as of 11/28-add both to cart from here. You should then see a 25.99 GBP discount applied in cart.

01.jpg

00.jpg
thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So this one is a barebones and the one from Nova is the one with the Lenticular or Full Slip and numbered and goodies inside.

Doesn't everyone remember when we saw this art everyone was mad and we had poles up and we all wanted different artwork. The artwork has come out and it is exactly as we expected with debossing and gloss. It still doesnt change the art of this steel in relation to this film. It has nothing to do with Marvel. Line them all up side by side on your shelf and ask yourself if it looks out of place. I think the only people who are all excited are because it is sold out. Its not like this steel isnt being released in Germany for much less and other countries. I still think it is a POS and needs to be covered up with a lenticular or Full Slip. Just saying it the way I see it.

So this one is a barebones and the one from Nova is the one with the Lenticular or Full Slip and numbered and goodies inside.

Doesn't everyone remember when we saw this art everyone was mad and we had poles up and we all wanted different artwork. The artwork has come out and it is exactly as we expected with debossing and gloss. It still doesnt change the art of this steel in relation to this film. It has nothing to do with Marvel. Line them all up side by side on your shelf and ask yourself if it looks out of place. I think the only people who are all excited are because it is sold out. Its not like this steel isnt being released in Germany for much less and other countries. I still think it is a POS and needs to be covered up with a lenticular or Full Slip. Just saying it the way I see it.
Intend to do that with my hdn supa dupa fan made slip. [emoji2][emoji106]

Reactions: harry and blu-steel
It amazes me that for about a $1 extra that we will get the much better loaded version from Nova with Lenticular and Individually numbered and most likely a booklet and art cards. It all adds up to a heavy weighted feel and that is what collectors want. The entire package. I am not against Zavvi as they have no say in what is released as they are selling it. I think the price they are selling is a direct result of the greedy Hollywood Studio Execs. I have always felt that movies are overpriced as most people only buy and watch it once anyway. Its what the case looks like and not exactly what is inside the case that is what is selling these collectable steelbooks. We want the best looking package on the shelf as possible to display the movies we love and cherrish to our friends. We love to have something that is rare and that very few people have. We need to keep spending with our wallets at the places that offers these best package deals and that is why I have taken over 95% of my hard earned money out of Europe over the last couple months and doubled down on Asia. The only way to lose is if you keep paying the same price for a non exclusive bare bones release in Europe over the super charged Asia release with Individually numbered and Lenticular and Full Slip. Korea knows what the Die Hard Collector wants. I do too.

THe best part about all this. Korea shops like Kimchi, Novamedia, and Plain Archive are only charging an extra $2 for all the extras including Full Slip, Booklet, and Individually numbered copies. To me that is worth everything. Case in point. Look at Kimchi X-men vs its competition. Look at what the value on the 2ndary market is comparing the 2 same steelbooks. Enough said!!!

Last edited:
It amazes me that for about a $1 extra that we will get the much better loaded version from Nova with Lenticular and Individually numbered and most likely a booklet and art cards. It all adds up to a heavy weighted feel and that is what collectors want. The entire package. I am not against Zavvi as they have no say in what is released as they are selling it. I think the price they are selling is a direct result of the greedy Hollywood Studio Execs. I have always felt that movies are overpriced as most people only buy and watch it once anyway. Its what the case looks like and not exactly what is inside the case that is what is selling these collectable steelbooks. We want the best looking package on the shelf as possible to display the movies we love and cherrish to our friends. We love to have something that is rare and that very few people have. We need to keep spending with our wallets at the places that offers these best package deals and that is why I have taken over 95% of my hard earned money out of Europe over the last couple months and doubled down on Asia. The only way to lose is if you keep paying the same price for a non exclusive bare bones release in Europe over the super charged Asia release with Individually numbered and Lenticular and Full Slip. Korea knows what the Die Hard Collector wants. I do too.

THe best part about all this. Korea shops like Kimchi, Novamedia, and Plain Archive are only charging an extra $2 for all the extras including Full Slip, Booklet, and Individually numbered copies. To me that is worth everything. Case in point. Look at Kimchi X-men vs its competition. Look at what the value on the 2ndary market is comparting the 2 same steelbooks. Enough said!!!

If you're mainly concerned with resale value then of course you are going to favour Asian exclusives. The average collector has more things to consider when making a purchasing decision though. Availability is a good example. It can be a bit of an ordeal to secure a copy of some Asian exclusives whereas simply turning up at the live time can be enough to secure pretty much every Zavvi exclusive. As for X-Men, it is very little to do with the extras and mostly to do with the print run.

If you're mainly concerned with resale value then of course you are going to favour Asian exclusives. The average collector has more things to consider when making a purchasing decision though. Availability is a good example. It can be a bit of an ordeal to secure a copy of some Asian exclusives whereas simply turning up at the live time can be enough to secure pretty much every Zavvi exclusive. As for X-Men, it is very little to do with the extras and mostly to do with the print run.
Agree with what you say, but there are 3 reasons why xmen is more in demand.
Kimchi
Lenti
Then 700

IMO.

Yep.

I'm a collector in the sense that I buy steelbooks for movies I want to own, but only those movies. I don't buy anything (steelbook or otherwise) for resale or simply to have them so that I can say I do.

In regards to GotG, (and most titles to be fair), I buy whichever version is cheapest or easiest to get (unless another country has a vastly superior version*), so I went with Zavvi. I have no interest in slips or postcards (they go in the recycling bin) so certainly wouldn't spend extra on them (fair play to those who do).

*I got the Czech version of DoFP as I hate the HMV version. Controversially I threw away the 3D disc (as I always do) and put the DVD in its place.

Reactions: psychoscot

THe best part about all this. Korea shops like Kimchi, Novamedia, and Plain Archive are only charging an extra $2 for all the extras including Full Slip, Booklet, and Individually numbered copies. To me that is worth everything. Case in point. Look at Kimchi X-men vs its competition. Look at what the value on the 2ndary market is comparting the 2 same steelbooks. Enough said!!!
Erm no it doesn't cost an extra $1 it costs well over $18 more with postage [emoji4]

I have never had one damaged steelbook from Korea out over several hundred orders. I cant say the same about Zavvi and Amazon. Neither of them offer safe and secure packaging for these OOS steelbooks. So if you want to compare shipping costs from a place that offers horrible packaging over a place that packages the way us collectors package then your point is not valid and there is no reason to discuss any further.

Last steel I bought from Nova was damaged and needed replaced, My Kimchi Leon was also far from perfect. Never had one damaged steel from Zavvi or UK Amazon.

Reactions: justhedudeman
I would hope you would get undamged product from ordering stuff right in your own backyard. For people like myself and many others on this message board when you order overseas you better expect to get safe and secure shipping which neither amazon or zavvi offer. That is just the facts. Korea uses bubblewrap and lots of it. Europe uses none.

Reactions: Marina Blue
You can tart your Asian versions up all you want but no matter how much dried macaroni and glitter you sprinkle on it it is still the same steelbook that you hate (I personally think it looks great).

Reactions: justhedudeman
Pretty safe to say where the line is drawn in the sand. Hate is strong on this board. Funny too. I get a kick out of it. Too many serious people who will say stuff just to get a rise out of others while I speak the truth. We all know that zavvi doesnt offer safe and secure packaging to people overseas and that the damage rate is fairly high compared to Korea.

These are collectables and Korea is going to continue to get the influx of collectors because they know what is in more demand. The reason it is in more demand in Korea is because those retailers are actually LISTENING to the collectors voices and they are giving us what we want. Zavvi and Amazon dont give a rats ass about collectors at all. Thats obvious. Its only a tiny part of their revenue stream.

Keep on hatin me all you want. I only speak the truth and what I have learned over the years after slinging over 10,000 steelbooks in the last 2.5 years. I have my data. It shows Korea is leading by a long shot. More than double.

Reactions: Marina Blue
I would hope you would get undamged product from ordering stuff right in your own backyard. For people like myself and many others on this message board when you order overseas you better expect to get safe and secure shipping which neither amazon or zavvi offer. That is just the facts. Korea uses bubblewrap and lots of it. Europe uses none.

Well, don't tar every country in Europe with the same brush. Amazon.co.uk and .de both package items very well with thick cardboard which I really like. Zavvi has never had a good reputation, prior to selling Steelbooks so no surprise there. Also for the record Amazon.com and .ca sent me two items recently in a mailing bag! For the price I paid for the items that was pretty poor on their part. Luckily unscathed, except .ca which was dent-laden. I'd rather buy from Zavvi who ship in boxes, sure they're thin and the foam sheet is cheap, but still prefer it other a mailing bag. Zavvi listened to us when we whinged about the envelopes but Amazon get away with it, wonder why? I complain about Zavvi a lot but it's not right for them to be getting blamed for this IMO.

Edit: Importing from Asian retailers to the UK works out about £35 also the risk of £11 custom charges (the incident with 'Her' steelbook). Lovely Steelbooks, but expensive if like some you're trying to budget what you can afford each month.

Last edited:
Is anyone going to get the cassette to go with the steel? Could be a nice companion piece.
I was considering it but decided against it. . I'll see if I have any will power when I walk past hmv on Monday :naughty:

Just finished watching the movie for the second time, I loved the steelbook before but I love it even more now. . I think they went down the right path with the design. .. but..if only it were Blue:headphone:
Groot is my fav:drool:

Reactions: harry and T800kaz
Can we keep it friendly please folks. Everyone has there own preferences, some people prefer Asian releases while others like to get local releases. There is no right and wrong, everyone collects differently. Calling people out and starting arguments isn't helpful and just derails the thread. Can we try and stay on topic please guys.