Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 1 OST (CD SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: August 3rd , 2018
Purchase Link: Zavvi (pre-orders will be live December 5 at around 12PM noon UK time)
Price: £15.99
Notes: CD SteelBook (doesn't include the film) - Embossing on logo, Includes an 8 page booklet

11636141-1434535674223136.jpg

11636141-9564535674362333.jpg

Last edited:
It’s funny that the Guardians movies will probably be the only Marvel movies to get this treatment, considering that other Marvel movie soundtracks are just Hollywood temp-music.

Doctor Strange Soundtrack isn't that bad...better one of the "score" soundtracks anyway

Master of the Mystic is fantastic

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
How have I only just seen this

Cool but I think I’ll pass

Marvel Film Scores sell very well on Vinyl and CD

Film Scores are not considered Hollywood temp-music :rofl::LOL:
Film Score is the main music in films not the music songs

I actually ignore most songs from film soundtracks releases because it's not the film score

Haha! I know what a score is, I was just being snarky... :p
I'm using the phrase Temp-Music in its usage within the industry. Marvel films are scored using music from similar caliber blockbuster films OST's- and the (usually interchangeable) composers are instructed to emulate the music that has been used in lieu of an actual score- resulting in a rather homogenous sounding feel throughout all of the Marvel films.

7c6.gif

Nutso!
Too little, too late . . . too expensive - should have been £8.99 max.

Put the soundtracks together with the Blu-rays in the steelbooks and give the collectors more bang for their buck instead of cluttering up our shelves with a format that's been around since the early to mid 1980s.
After all, if they can now fit 7 Blu-rays inside a standard steelbook case they can certainly find space for the soundtrack.. . . or do it properly and give the superior LPs metal cases - more space for great artwork etc.

I mean to say after nearly 10 years of films in steelbooks here in the UK (Play.com exclusive SWEENEY TODD steelbook in May, 2008) why have they waited so long to give the soundtrack its own metal case ?

All we need now is for some premium retailer to put 3 of these in fancy slipcases inside a shoe-box and ask 200 quid for it :banghead:

Then there's the fully printed back with the damn barcode in white reminding me of the bad ol' days of Blu-ray steelbooks with printed backs . . . Print the text inside - as WB are now starting to do with their steelbooks - or on the back of a booklet held in place by those clips specifically designed for the purpose.

In a word: Ridiculous!

The cases can look fine w/ artwork on front and back as on these 3DS games steelbooks . . . but still:-
s-l1600.jpg

upload_2017-12-5_22-6-58.png
upload_2017-12-5_22-7-31.png
upload_2017-12-5_22-8-35.png

upload_2017-12-5_22-9-39.png
upload_2017-12-5_22-10-11.png
upload_2017-12-5_22-10-49.png

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: yeslek and K.i.T
My only concern with including OSTs in Blu-ray steelbooks is the fact that it'd significantly bump up the price... I'd rather be able to choose myself which OSTs I buy, as I don't necessarily like to actually sit and listen to some of them, so I'd probably be less likely to actually buy movie steelbooks if they did that.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Wreck
Already received an email saying it's nearly sold out. It's Zavvi though so who knows.

This OST SteelBook® has me wondering, how many styles/sizes of SteelBooks® are there, or have there been?
  • G1 SteelBook® | DVD Sized SteelBook®
  • G2 SteelBook® | Blu-ray Sized SteelBook®
  • Jumbo SteelBook® | Blu-ray Sized SteelBook® that is thicker than a traditional SteelBook®
    • Has there, or was there ever a G1 Jumbo SteelBook®?
  • PlayStation® Vita Sized SteelBook | Uniquely Sized SteelBook® that contained the PlayStation® Vita Amaray case for the game Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
    • Were there, or has there been others?
  • Nintendo Switch SteelBooks® | I believe they exist, but I know nothing about them, or if they're uniquely sized?
  • Nintendo DS SteelBooks® | I know they exist, but I know nothing about them, or their size?
  • OST SteelBooks® | Is the noted Guardians OST the first of its kind? Is the sizing the same as a Nintendo DS SteelBook®, or different?
  • What other styles/sizes of SteelBooks® am I missing?

This OST SteelBook® has me wondering, how many styles/sizes of SteelBooks® are there, or have there been?
  • Jumbo SteelBook® | Blu-ray Sized SteelBook® that is thicker than a traditional SteelBook®
  • PlayStation® Vita Sized SteelBook | Uniquely Sized SteelBook® that contained the PlayStation® Vita Amaray case for the game Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
  • Nintendo Switch SteelBooks® | I believe they exist, but I know nothing about them, or if they're uniquely sized?
  • Nintendo DS SteelBooks® | I know they exist, but I know nothing about them, or their size?
  • OST SteelBooks® | Is the noted Guardians OST the first of its kind? Is the sizing the same as a Nintendo DS SteelBook®, or different?

No good reason why they couldn't have used a regular G2 sized steelbook for the soundtrack to at least give uniformity to the collection instead of introducing a steelbook size unrelated to Blu-rays and only related to games :banghead:

Anyway, I reckon you've sourced all the types of steelbook packaging. . . but of course there are several other forms of metal packaging not related to steelbooks (including tins of various sizes, futurepaks, 'petrol cans' etc).
Admit to not having heard of a couple you mentioned.

G1 steelbooks certainly exist and here's but one example: -
upload_2017-12-9_18-42-48.png

No harm in posting a few comparison pics of those I'm familiar with (from EBay) :-
STEELBOOKS
(1) Generation 1 (G1) = DVD & BD . . . also PS2 & 3, Wii, XBOX & X360, PC gaming
(2) Generation 2 (G2) = BD and PS3 & 4, XBOX1 gaming
(3) G2 JUMBO = BD and 3DS gaming
(4) 3DS = same size as the plastic case in which the game is usually sold . . . same size as soundtrack steelbook (TBC)

(1) G1 side by side w/ G2 ----------------------------------------------- (2) G1 w/ G2 Jumbo -- (3) G2 3DS Jumbo flanked by G2 BD Jumbo and standard BD steelbook
upload_2017-12-9_14-9-6.png
upload_2017-12-9_14-10-33.png
upload_2017-12-9_14-14-43.png
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(4) 3DS and OST (TBC)
-
upload_2017-12-9_17-1-22.png
upload_2017-12-9_17-53-2.png
upload_2017-12-9_17-56-53.png

• Thanks
Reactions: Thwip

here is the Switch Steelbook next to a CD case. At the moment only Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had one (In Europe, not sure in North America)
$_86.JPG

Wii U used G1 Steelbooks.

3DS had G2 Jumbo Steelbooks, I believe for Mario Kart 7 and New Super Mario Bros 2. I don't remember any other Steelbook of that size for 3DS.
3DS then used smaller Steelbooks, I own a couple of them (Zelda, Pokémon, Metroid, Fire Emblem) and to me the size is comparable to a OST CD case, so I believe the new Zavvi OST Steelbook will use that size.

• Thanks
Reactions: Thwip