Hateful Eight 70mm theater list and 70mm Theaters

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
If you find any ... link them. Especially if they are playing The Hateful Eight.

I've spent hours googling so I think this thread will be important for future people searching on the interwebs. (It's reported Star Wars Rogue One will use this panavision 70mm) So if in the future (or present ;) ) someone comes across this then join the site and leave a comment please. :)

THE HATEFUL EIGHT - USA - 70mm
December 25th, 2015

Playing Hateful Eight in 70mm

Grand Lake Oakland California (2 screens up stairs)

Possibly Ritz in Austin, Texas

Somerville, MA. http://somervilletheatre.com/

the Hollywood Theatre in Portland, OR

Brookline, MA - http://www.coolidge.org/films/hateful-eight

Also announced is a 2 week Rolling Roadshow in the USA but venues have not yet been released.

THE HATEFUL EIGHT - 70mm
Rest of the World:

Imperial Bio, Copenhagen, Denmark - January 7th

Astor, Melbourne, Australia - January 14th

Schauburg, Karlsruhe, Germany - January 28th

Reactions: Marina Blue
Ok found this one too , found a site called in70mm has some good info.

Rigoletto, Stockholm, SE

and these were gossip/rumour , probably pretty spot on tho .... except maybe the Star Wars EU comment unless the SW showing is incorrect.

NOVEMBER 2015

Expect "The Hateful Eight" release to be delayed - "Star Wars" release is causing problems.

"War for the Planet of the Apes"
in 65mm

"Star Wars" will get 70MM IMAX release. IMAX confirmed 11 prints for USA and Australia, and no 70mm-IMAX-prints for Europe.

"The Hateful Eight" will open in 70mm in Denmark, France, Germany, Norway and Sweden

Last edited:
I read, in Detroit they're getting it on THREE separate screens! :woot:

Detroit Free Press -November 16, 2015

Three Detroit-area theaters have been chosen to screen the 70mm film version of writer-director Quentin Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" when it opens on Christmas Day. The AMC Forum 30 in Sterling Heights, AMC Livonia 20 and MJR Southgate will be showing the film exclusively until Jan. 8, when it will be released in a slightly shorter version in digital theaters.
Only an estimated 100 theaters in North America (96 in the U.S., four in Canada) will be showing the movie during its 70mm engagement. The screenings are intended to showcase the value of using actual film over digital presentation, the current movie industry standard, which Tarantino calls cold and sterile.
"This will be a true event," said Dennis Redmer, vice president of operations for the MJR Theatre chain, which will project the movie on a 58-foot-wide screen. "It reminds me of the first `Star Wars' release in the 1970s when you had to go to one theater, the Americana, if you wanted to see it."
Tarantino's eagerly awaited three-hour western stars Kurt Russell as a bounty hunter and one of eight strangers (among them Jennifer Jason Leigh, Samuel L. Jackson and Tim Roth) who seek shelter from a blizzard at a remote stagecoach stop.
In order to screen the 70mm version, theaters must be equipped with refurbished projection equipment capable of running 70mm film prints. An estimated $60,000 to $80,000 per theater (not including technician training costs) will be required for the movie's producer, the Weinstein Company, to project an extra-wide image four times larger (and thus clearer) than the 35mm film that theaters used to show.
Aside from six minutes of additional footage, the 70mm presentations will include music by the film's composer, Ennio Morricone, before the screening, during a 10-minute intermission and following the credits.
MJR's Redmer declined to comment on the protests that police groups have threatened to stage in the wake of incendiary comments Tarantino made recently during a rally against police brutality. "We're just excited that as an independent chain, we have the opportunity to show this," he said.
He said projector installation is expected to begin in the next two weeks, along with advance ticket sales. There is no word yet from the Weinstein Company on how much tickets for the 70mm screenings will cost.

IN AT LEAST FIVE CHICAGO THEATERS

Chicago Tribune - November 19, 2015

Subject to change the so-called roadshow 70mm edition of “The Hateful Eight” opens at at least five Chicago area theaters. They are: The Music Box Theatre; the Kerasotes Showplace Icon and three AMC venues, the River East 21, the Barrington 30 and the Crestwood. If there's a sixth, according to the Chicago office of Allied Integrated Marketing, it'll likely be the Evanston Cinemark Century 12.

Hateful Eight mountain.jpg

Reactions: Wreck
interesting news I found ....

I think the Southern California screens are some of the most critical (and yet fiercely-fought over) territory for exposure of such a movie in the country. So, as of the moment, no one (that I know of) has yet seen anything "official" about who gets it. The battle of H8 with Star Wars for screen space out here could be the subject of the next epic movie!

Yes, the Dome would be "interesting", and they already have a Kinoton 35/70 installed; another one that could/would be fun would be the so-called Big Newport, in Newport Beach. Again, I have seen nothing to indicate that it will be one of "the chosen", so this is wishful thinking. But it was historically a nice place to see big screen epics, so might lend itself to such a movie. Possibly the powers that be are trying to keep the local 70mm "winners" quiet (for some reason), but soon enough word will leak out as projectors get put in.

Meanwhile:

I was speaking with Chapin Cutler (of Boston Light & Sound) last week, and he discussed a few of the details about this project. So, in no particular order, a few things that might be of interest:

► all 70mm prints (for platter houses) will be shipped out entirely assembled, none will be assembled in the venues. The prints are being built up by a selected crew working near Magic Mountain (Santa Clarita), CA.

► the prints will be in one single transport case, custom made for the show. A large, flat case, similar to those sometimes used to transport Imax 70mm prints, back in the day.

► even though the show will have an intermission, there will be only ONE ROLL of film. In other words, the intermission is built into the movie, with 12 minutes of black film (and DTS [Datasat] timecode printed in it) in the middle of the built-up platter print. There is no audio during the intermission, but there is a 45-second "entr'acte" music bit at the beginning of the second half of the show.

► the film print itself weighs about 220 pounds.

► with the shipping box, the total shipping weight is 350 pounds.

► the total running time is a little over 3 hours, including the intermission.

► BLSI tracked down about 120 projectors, including 20 from Cinemeccanica and some Simplex XL 70’s. About 90 of the machines are Century JJ’s.

► all the platters are Christie AW 3 R’s converted to 70 mm.

► the projectors being sent out are 70mm ONLY. Most 35mm-specific parts for allowing them to run that gage are removed and stored. This was to minimize the chances for accidentally flipping a roller (etc.) into a 35mm mode, or have a too large / too small loop hitting somewhere, as potential causes of scratching. All the systems will have an on board PTR film cleaner.

► Larry Shaw from BL&S had to commission about 125 different parts as they are no longer being made by the original suppliers.

► they had to commission a significant number of new primary lenses, taking an educated guess at the number of specific focal lengths which would be needed.

► they also had to have over 120 of the 1.25X anamorphic attachments built; some are based on the design of the anamorphic lens developed for d-cinema by ISCO, but are not identical. There is another design for longer throws and can be used in the reverse direction, i.e. as in the "reverse anamorphic" mode sometimes used by drive-ins with long throws.

► lamphouses are all from equipment sent into premature retirement when the digital juggernaut hit a few years ago. New reflectors were made for many of them.

► all the equipment that is shipped out to venues is on temporary install basis. The gear is scheduled to be taken out following the run. (This does not apply to venues which have pre-existing 70mm projection equipment, obviously!)

► FotoKem is producing the prints.

► BL&S is lining up projectionists to work through this run. They are contacting folks with film projection experience by approaching local Unions to see who might be available.

And no, Chapin did not give me even the slightest hint on which So. Calif. screens might get the show, if he even knows!

credit to filmtech

I'm guessing Quentin could have his pick of screen(s) in LA, as he has loyal connections and had the timing advantage to make commitments with exhibitor(s) in Southern California that have the ability to properly screen this. He also is passionate about the leaking of information about his films and projects. He enjoys releasing information and details himself, on his timetable. The anticipation for this film, requires waiting for the right time to release the SoCal location(s).

His theater will be screening a 35mm print. It's too small to accommodate the 70mm version.

Quentin's little Christmas gift will be a screening of his original cut of "Kill Bill" The Whole Bloody Affair" (4 hour+ cut) on Christmas Day, at his LA theater. The rare screening of the only 35mm print in existence.

12339210_10153023835585904_3698925063767499585_o-1.jpg

Reactions: apsmith21
James Gunn (director of Guardians of the Galaxy) posted this on Facebook today:

I saw The Hateful Eight a couple months ago and was asked not to post about it on social media, but now that a lot of people are starting to see and be vocal about it, I guess it's fair to say something. Although the film wasn't finished when I saw it, it was probably my favorite of the year - perhaps QT's best (that said, my other favorite is the underappreciated Jackie Brown - my taste is either refined or unusual, depending on how you look at it).

I don't want to say much about the film, because I think it's best to go in fresh like I did, but I'm posting this to strongly suggest seeing the film in 70mm, which is a longer version as well as an overture and intermission. This is a film that was created to be seen in that format if you can; it's well worth a longer drive or a couple extra bucks.

Have a great day.

Somerville, MA. http://somervilletheatre.com/

Brookline, MA - http://www.coolidge.org/films/hateful-eight

Only a short 1.5 hour drive from house! I'm currently accepting applications for members who would like to sleep over. Free pickup and drop off from the local airport, all you have to do is to assist in my basement renovation for 1 day of your time!

lol

If theres plain tickets included I'll come over :D I'm 6,7' buddy, I don't need a stepladder for renovation :rolleyes: