• I am not sure if I will-I am on the fence

Votes: 20 7.7%

• Total voters

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hey ninjas!

A fun poll for you to comment and share whether you've upgraded your equipment/discs, and why you have or haven't done so.

Have fun!

DB

uhd1-jpg.253454

Attachments

• uhd1.jpg
    uhd1.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 4,773
Last edited:
I want to upgrade but I just got my last TV only 2 years ago... feel so damn guilty about spending the money on a new TV so soon, lol! Ill probably wait it out until the Xbox "Scorpio" is released later next year and then transition to 4K for both games and movies with a new TV.

I haven't got a 4KUHD player yet though :LOL:... yet! Hoping to get an xbox one S some point soon, they play them :thumbs:.

I'm shopping around at the moment so be around early next year when I can fully upgrade. My AV unit (so lovely) cannot switch 4K signals so I will need a new 4K HDR AV, as well as the tele. Looking the player I was thinking of the PS4 Pro upcoming but I read somewhere that it is not 'native 4K, just upscaling which is the dud version but the XBox can. I'm not an XBox fan, more of PS4 :p So its like me switching to Microsoft is like moving from Windows to Applemac. So need to do a bit of research first and certainly won't be cheap either :rolleyes:

• Thanks
Reactions: davhyl
My major problem is this. 99% of the films being released are digital films which are usually 2k being upscaled to 4k. Even proper films, a lot of them are 2k being upscaled to 4k. So unless there is a radical rethink on what is being released in this format and soon, I just don't see me upgrading. I"ll stick to blu-ray thank you very much. Sorry to be a killjoy but the whole venture into 4k just seems haphazard at best with no real commitment from the studios.

My major problem is this. 99% of the films being released are digital films which are usually 2k being upscaled to 4k. Even proper films, a lot of them are 2k being upscaled to 4k. So unless there is a radical rethink on what is being released in this format and soon, I just don't see me upgrading. I"ll stick to blu-ray thank you very much. Sorry to be a killjoy but the whole venture into 4k just seems haphazard at best with no real commitment from the studios.

If you play video games however the push towards 4K seems pretty real at the game software level. I think that in itself will push enough people to 4k setups (tv + player) and the movies in 4k (even if upscaled) will be a side benefit. At-least that's how its shaping up for myself. But I agree with you, native 4k content isnt prevalent enough in the movie world at the moment. Although it seems in the future it will be with more and more film-makers shooting 4k + resolutions.

I plan on getting a 4k TV hopefully in two years will probably buy the Sony UHD player next year depends how much the price will be. I've had my Sony TV for six years so it's time for an upgrade.

I've FINALLY upgraded completely. I've had my Xbox One S since August but just this past Monday I picked up a Samsung 49 inch KS7000 (which is apparently the equivalent of the American KS8000, go figure!)

Coming from a 10 year old 32 inch Philips to the 49 inch screen is insane, I suddenly feel like I have a cinema in my living room!

I've picked up The Revenant, Sicario & Batman V Superman 4K discs, & have Ghostbusters, Suicide Squad, The Accountant & Star Trek Beyond preordered.

100% agree with you. This is also one of the many reasons i've been thinking of for skipping 4K and waiting til 8K TVs comes out.
HOWEVER...I've noticed more and more 4K releases are hybrids now. They've shot the 'live-action' scenes in 4K, but the VFX were done in 2K and then upscaled to 4K for the 4K Bluray release. Combine that with HDR, and now there's little difference between original 4K vs upscaled 4K. Or at least, the difference is not so huge that you need to worry about it.

For example, Batman V Superman and Pacific Rim 4K Bluray releases have gotten fair share of positive reviews. BvS is 100% 4K release with HDR, and Pacific Rim is 100% 2K upscaled to 4K with HDR. Many reviewers were actually praising Pacific Rim, saying the transfer was well done along with great HDR.

So now, the question is, is 4K all about just resolution?

Now combine that with 4K TVs with full HDR (earlier 4K TVs didn't have HDR, and some had 'partial' HDR).
This is bad for people like us, because we like to stay on one side. Either give us proper 4K or we're staying away. But now the line is staring to blur, i think, and we're just sort of stranded in the middle...

...just food for your thoughts. :)

And it doesn't help that the Bourne films in 4k just got a serious bashing on blu-ray.com for their dire quality..... Way to go 4k...
Really? That sucks. But the only the first and last Bournes are original 4Ks, the rest are 2K upscales...
Did they bash all five...four of them?
:p

The recent one is fine, the others are rubbish in 4k. As bad a bashing as they got it's nothing to what Goodfellas got Basically why did they bother. The restored blu-ray is said to be superb but the 4k, a masterclass in failure........

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
Studios being studios and rushing releases on the masses to take advantage of the new format. It was done with blu ray and now being done with 4k. There are some great 4k discs out there though. Some that I watched recently that I was very impressed with, Magnificent Seven, Sully, Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children.

Reactions: Sigill
As i recently grabbed an OLED, i decided to take a dip into 4K. These are mine so far, If any of you guys are interested in getting Suicide Squad in 4K, dont bother, its no better than the bluray.

IMG_1209.JPG

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
Upgraded to LG OLED65E6V and blown away by the beauty of it. Also got the Samsung K8500 4K player and it works like a charm. HDR is definately adding the little extra though I am disappointed in some 4K bluray media, especially Independence Day. It looks much worse than a regular bluray, grainy as heck. Now I'm going to test out a few 3D movies ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Lionet
its the other way around lol....4k is rising quite fast and sadly 3d is on its way out.

Not according to the senior chief execs at both Samsung and LG, 4K has been an absolute distaster, and yes I did speak to them first hand! 4K is not rising at all, its failing epically worldwide. 3D was always niche but it was a niche thats outsold 4K. By 2018 4K will be gone completely as its already a sinking ship loosing electronics firms vast amounts of money! Funny how flagship models on the biggest TV's are offering 3D as a main selling point. I WORK in this industry. 4K is DEAD!

Not according to the senior chief execs at both Samsung and LG, 4K has been an absolute distaster, and yes I did speak to them first hand! 4K is not rising at all, its failing epically worldwide. 3D was always niche but it was a niche thats outsold 4K. By 2018 4K will be gone completely as its already a sinking ship loosing electronics firms vast amounts of money! Funny how flagship models on the biggest TV's are offering 3D as a main selling point. I WORK in this industry. 4K is DEAD!

lol none of the OLED releases from LG have 3d this year. Vizio dumped it last year. 4k is still new, of course 3d has outsold it! 4k certainly will not be dead in the next 9 months as you proclaim.

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland