"Hawaii Five-O" Discussion Thread

Apr 20, 2010
Washington State
dcc4e91b13b52001816fa7d4f84a74fa.jpg
Alex O'Loughlin, who's been a pet project of the CBS casting people for several seasons now (see also "Moonlight" and "Three Rivers") plays McGarrett, a Naval investigator who returns to his native Hawaii to catch his father's killer. The governor (guest star Jean Smart) offers him carte blanche - "No rules, my backing and no red tape" - to form his own unit to take down not only that bad guy, but all the other creeps who have been mucking up her island paradise.

O'Loughlin's handsome (and the pilot wisely has him take his shirt off in one scene), but I've never seen in him what CBS does. Fortunately, the show uses his stiffness to its advantage, unleashing Caan as wisecracking, excitable New Jersey transplant Dan "Danno" Williams to turn the new series into more of a buddy cop show than the original was. As the show's all-knowing, all-powerful hero, O'Loughlin's McGarrett would be a snooze. As straight man to Caan (doing a variation on his "Ocean's Eleven" character), though, he works quite nicely.

As Chin Ho, a disgraced ex-cop McGarrett lures back to the force, and Chin Ho's surfing cousin Kono, Kim and Park don't get as much to do in the pilot as the leads. (Though Park does surf in a bikini and then strip down to her underwear on an undercover op; the show is an equal-opportunity flesh-peddler.) But the duo bring a very relaxed, engaging vibe to the show. And, frankly, it's nice to see "Lost" vet Kim still working in Hawaii.
93fb59fa766827330c2762f90efc310a.jpg

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this even tho I didn't think I would. I find Alex O'Loughlin's acting to be a bit over the top but someone must have tamed him down for this role. I will watch a few more before I latch completely on to this series.

I really enjoyed this even tho I didn't think I would. I find Alex O'Loughlin's acting to be a bit over the top but someone must have tamed him down for this role. I will watch a few more before I latch completely on to this series.

It was a huge hit with over 13 million viewers. I'm very sure that this will be renewed and is going to be around for several years. My only other show I watch Mondays at 10 is Castle so I have the room on my DVR for it. :cool:

I really liked it-this and a few other shows I've been roped into caused me to connect a DVR expander today, LOL. We're both professionals and need to watch TV when we can, and that amounts to needing a bigger storage capacity! We enjoyed the pilot and it seems from some people at work that watched it, they also had fun. I hope it sticks around!:)