High Definition transfer made from original film elements.?

Jul 12, 2017
Hi,

What does it mean when a Blu-Ray release has the following statement: High Definition transfer made from original film elements..?

I was looking at a few Blu's over on Network and they all have this in the description.

Thanks.

It means a digital scan of the actual film negative.
Usually when they use this phrasing They mean to delineate a scan from the original film negative, as opposed to an interpositive.
Example- Scream Factory did a 2K scan of an interpositive for their release of The THING.
Arrow's release of The THING has done a 4K scan of the original film negative.
(Of course, that wording ('original film elements') is vague enough that it could mean either. But I have always taken it to mean the original negative)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Zoltar
It means a digital scan of the actual film negative.
Usually when they use this phrasing They mean to delineate a scan from the original film negative, as opposed to an interpositive.
Example- Scream Factory did a 2K scan of an interpositive for their release of The THING.
Arrow's release of The THING has done a 4K scan of the original film negative.
(Of course, that wording ('original film elements') is vague enough that it could mean either. But I have always taken it to mean the original negative)

Thank you for the reply and explaining this as a new collector with no knowledge of the transfer process it is really confusing with so many different releases of the same film trying to get the best quality release.

Cheers.

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
Also "Original" film elements can also mean the best surviving elements. A dub or interpositive might be the only element that exists of a certain scene so it keeps them covered. For a lot of classic films the original film elements no longer exist and films that would surprise you. For example Sing'in in the Rain. The original film no longer exists. RKO are infamous for having no original film elements for most of their classics.

• Helpful Post
  • Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95 and Zoltar
Also "Original" film elements can also mean the best surviving elements. A dub or interpositive might be the only element that exists of a certain scene so it keeps them covered. For a lot of classic films the original film elements no longer exist and films that would surprise you. For example Sing'in in the Rain. The original film no longer exists. RKO are infamous for having no original film elements for most of their classics.

Cheers mate, very interesting about Sing'in in the Rain never knew the original film no longer existed.

On another note I have just got my first 2 Anolis Hammer Horror Blu-Ray's so looking forward to watching those thanks again for the advice on these.

Good point:thumbs: this is true.
(Don't even get me started on classic films on nitrate that were transferred to safety film (Or 16mm or videotape) before being burned.:arghh:)

• Thanks
Reactions: Lollard2002