History of Horror Giveaway - HDN HALLOWEEN FEST 2

Bluprint

Shoeprint
Premium Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Westside, ATL, GA
In honor of HDN HALLOWEEN FEST 2, I present the HISTORY of HORROR giveaway!

HoH.jpg

To take part, be a member, and of course, be honest when replying below to the following question!

What Horror film scared you the most...

As a child ________.

As a teenager _______.

and as a adult _______.

Feel free to say why (not required)! That's it HDN, tell me your HISTORY of HORROR! :naughty:

- One Winner will win the Sealed & Mint Chucky 2 &
Chucky 3 (DE) Steelbook Set

- Winner will be picked using Random,org
- Contest ends October 24th, 2016
- Shipping is on me to ANYWHERE in this Realm!!!
- MORE HDN HALLOWEEN FEST 2 GIVEAWAYS TO COME FROM BLUPRINT, MISSPRINT & BLU REAPER!

Thx HDN, and Happy Halloween! :notworthy:

Last edited by a moderator:
as a child? = Jaws. the music did it for me. filled me with dread.
as a teenager? = The Exorcist. saw it first time in a re-run in a cinema with the sound up stupidly loud. a film that pummelled me into my seat with a clever use of shadows and overdubbing. plus my favourite type of horror film - one with an actual script and good acting.
as an adult? = The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974). the long pauses, the moments of silence, the fact it's none of the things you expect it to be, and many that you don't. and two scenes in particular:
the massive long pause after Sally runs into the gas station with Leatherface behind her, and then the owner goes out to check - and then comes back ages later, smiling, carrying a rope. and the 5 minutes of the dinner scene before you suddenly realise grandpa isn't dead.

i own all three films.

honourable mentions: Event Horizon and Hellraiser - both films that get under your skin so well, you need a shower afterwards.

edit: apologies - thanks very much for the giveaway opportunity! :thumbs:

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Bluprint
As a child Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949 Cartoon)
As a teenager Nightmare on Elmstreet 3.

and as a adult Evil Dead 1.

As a child: Poltergeist. It was on a VHS tape before star wars so everytime i would hear the national anthem, it would scare the **** out of me.

As a teenager: IT. I hate clowns and my brother pulled a horrible prank on me.

and as an adult: Sinister. There was something about it that never sat right with me.

Thanks for the giveaway!

• Thanks
Awesome giveaway! :D Woohoo! :D :)

What Horror film scared you the most...

As a child - I had a disturbing childhood. Yes. I actually saw Halloween as a kid. My sisters had no parental lockdown on my viewing. I was tormented. :hilarious:

As a teenager - I would say at around 12-13 i only saw Jaws for the first time then. And yes. It scared the hell outta me! I wouldnt even go to the toilet out of fear that there was a shark in the sewage system. :rofl:

and as a adult - With the childhood i have had not much scares me anymore but i have to admit that i saw the re-released version of Exorcist when it was released in theaters again and that was quite creepy! :)

Good luck everyone.

• Helpful Post
As a Child - The Sentinel
Made me never curious about what is in a secret room or the Attic...Because it is probably the Gateway to Hell!
As a Teenager - The Exorcist
Because it was shot with a slow, grainy film stock that made the film feel like a documentary. And William Friedkin was a genius by incrementally showing the possessed girl. (First time- 2 minutes, Second time- 5 Minutes, Third time- 8 Minutes, etc.) Genius. Still as scary a movie as ever. It has lost NONE of its impact.
As an Adult- Paranormal Activity
Because it takes real human fears and amplifies them. Will you set up cameras to see what is happening in your house when you are asleep?! Hell NO! But who has not experienced a light bulb blowing out at a weird moment, or a door slamming upstairs (because of the wind...?)? This movie brilliantly amplified those things.
(Just yesterday night - the light in my media closet flickered and blew out when I was switching the discs on the new Exorcist 3 release!:wow:)....
Thanks for the contest, @blueprint ! I'll disqualify myself from the contest though, because I am not a fan of the film...I just wanted to play the game!:rofl::thumbs:

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Awesome giveaway mate, thank you :)

My answers:

As a Child: Pet Sematary

As a teenager: Ringu (the JP version)

As an adult: The Grudge

• Thanks
As a child: A Nightmare on Elm Street. There was something about it that messed me up. The first horror movie I ever saw was Child's Play & I was fine, but I caught Nightmare on Elm Street on TV a couple of weeks later & couldn't sleep after it.

As a teenager: The Ring. I didn't find the movie particularly scary as a whole, but the visual of Samara crawling out of the tv was terrifying. I actually had to cover the TV at the end of my bed when I went to sleep for a couple of weeks as I couldn't trust it!

Now: It Follows is probably the scariest movie I've seen in quite sometime. Just the idea that this thing is always following you & you don't really know it. Like, it could be anyone. The idea freaks me out even thinking about it!

• Thanks
As a child any movie with Chucky. Being a child and seeing a doll doing all these evil things, was just so scary. I mean, after watching a little bit of the first movie and a very young age, for some time afterwards whenever I happened to see that it was on on tv I immediately switched the channel. It was that bad. But now I just appreciate the cheesiness of the whole franchise and I find it more funny than scary.

As a teenager I found immensely scary the american remake of The Grudge. The Ring didn't scare me much, but I though that the ghost in The Grudge was the epitomy of creepiness. It could find you anytime anywhere (that scene in the sheets) and that was so scary to me. Also, the film itself had a creepy atmosphere all the way through, so that was a bonus.

As an adult, I have a twofold answer. Certainly the scariest film that I remember watching the last years was Insidious. The mixture of bizzare elements that weren't afraid to be "out there" (The Further, the demon with the red face) and the funny charcters that are introduced halfway through reminded me of Sam Raimi's boldness in Evil Dead, but the result was less funny horror and more creepy horror.

And my second answer is The Babadook. Judging from the marketing campaign, I was expecting a film much like Insidious (with the child hunted by a demon), but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was a different matter. Yes, the horror element is present, and it creates a creepy atmosphere that preveils all the way to the end, but the core of the film is much more grounded. In essence it's not really about scary imaginary stuff creeping you out. This is achieved mainly through the psychological undertones of the story. This is to say it has more in common with say Rosemary's Baby than with The Amityville Horror. It's a modern horror masterpiece for sure.

Thanks for the giveaway!

This is a great post, and the awesome giveaway.
The inert feeling of being scared by a horror film, is more related to how the individual relates to a scene or concept than whatever techniques are used to scare us. Just a thought. Browsing through the most rated Horror FIlms on IMDB (not in anyways the defacto of real world reviews(?)), the content is so mixed and susceptible to personal perceptions, it was surprising to see that two of the films I have chosen are the top two in this chart.
Are there any real view reviews sites left for movie fans, without a fanboy culture?
Apologies for diverging from the OPs Thread, but somehow this post has sparked something in me to divulge these views, which I normally steer clear off.

Anyways after deliberating through the hundreds of quality horror films I watched, here are the three that come to mind:

As a child Curse of the Werewolf (1961). Watching this on television, especially the child werewolf scene which still gives me the heebeejeebees

As a teenager Alien (1979). First officially watched as a young adult at the cinema.

and as a adult The Shining (1980). Jack Nicholson's performance more than anything with those menacing eyes, still resonates up to this day.

Thanks for the brilliant giveaway @Bluprint

• Thanks
As a child: Tales from the crypt :vamp: I was wayyyyy too young to see this :D

As a teenager: Pet Cemetary 1 & 2 :twd: (part1. creepy kid, part2: creepy step-dad)

and as a adult: Arachnophobia (I haaaaaaaaate spiders :bag:)

Thanks for the giveaway :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Thanks
As a Child The Exorcist (Scared me to death)
As a Teenager: The Shining (Just damn disturbing)
As an Adult: Ringu (Bloody creepy), most modern films don't scare me at all, but this shocked

Thanks for the giveaway