HMV Canada closes all its Canadian stores

Drum18

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
May 3, 2011
Montreal
From
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/27/hmv-canada-undergoing-nationwide-closures

TORONTO — An Ontario Superior Court of Justice approved an application to place HMV Canada Inc. into receivership on Friday.

HUK 10 Ltd., which lent money to the struggling chain, filed the application to the court Thursday.

It claimed HMV owes it nearly $39 million and has received no cash payments since Nov. 2014.

HMV would require between $2 million and $5 million annually in cash to stay open, according to court filings, and the company was losing $100,000 a day as customers turned towards online media in recent years.

Senior Justice Geoffrey B. Morawetz approved the application and appointed Gordon Brothers Canada ULC and Merchant Retail Solutions ULC as the agent to sell HMV’s remaining merchandise.

Legal documents state that closing stores must cease operations by April 30.

HMV operates 102 stores in Canada and employs about 1,340 people, most of them at its retail locations.​
hmv.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlienKing and kaw
I almost bought a couple of those cool canvas pictures because they're 30% off, too, but I decided not to because I don't have wall space. I just don't understand how the shirts and headphones and record players had no discount at all when I asked. Maybe I was just asking an unpleasant person? Did you happen to hear if there was a discount on that stuff?

I feel so bad for those people, though. I do I ask about discounts when I know they just lost their job? :(
yea, i felt bad even just starting up a conversation. I didnt ask anything about t-shirts and other stuff nor did i notice any of those things marked as having a discount. I think we will begin to see them toward the end of Feb.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
yea, i felt bad even just starting up a conversation. I didnt ask anything about t-shirts and other stuff nor did i notice any of those things marked as having a discount. I think we will begin to see them toward the end of Feb.

Yeah, it felt strange being in there knowing it was closing down.

Funny, I was back home in Thunder Bay during the holidays and I went to HMV. There was a bunch in there that I wanted, but didn't have cash at the time. I figured I'd just buy it in June when I went back for a visit because the obscure titles that I like rarely sold there (the benefits of having a HMV in a small city). Well, I guess I won't be getting what I wanted now because my HMV will be gone in June when I go back. This feels so wrong, man. (n)

Same happened in Ireland all Rep of Ireland stores closed down last year
Hmv Ireland went online only
Digital service (HMV Digital) where customers can stream, rent or purchase music and films online

I would not be surprised if the same end's up happening in the UK this year or next year

Hilco Capital own Hmv in Canada/Ireland and the UK

Last edited:
Yeah, it felt strange being in there knowing it was closing down.

Funny, I was back home in Thunder Bay during the holidays and I went to HMV. There was a bunch in there that I wanted, but didn't have cash at the time. I figured I'd just buy it in June when I went back for a visit because the obscure titles that I like rarely sold there (the benefits of having a HMV in a small city). Well, I guess I won't be getting what I wanted now because my HMV will be gone in June when I go back. This feels so wrong, man. (n)
Thunday Bay huh? Since it's kinda close to me, may be i'll go for a drive? I mean it's only 15 hr drive :rofl::wow:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon