HMV / Xtra-Vision - SteelBook Retailer Thread [UK/Ireland]

This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks. As of 8/29/2013, the site says they are working on improved website.

images

Important:

This store ships UK/IRELAND ONLY.

HMV UK : http://www.xtra-vision.co.uk/Search/Results?term=steelbook
HMV IRE: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook OR http://www.hmv.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook

Typical example of packaging:
63qlg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally! It's great to see their in-store deals are now available online too... I'm curious to know whether they include the slipcases with the Blu's purchased through their site though.

Finally! It's great to see their in-store deals are now available online too... I'm curious to know whether they include the slipcases with the Blu's purchased through their site though.

It'll be the same as any other place mate, if their stock allocation has the slipcase then it should be sent that way

Reactions: Noodles
It'll be the same as any other place mate, if their stock allocation has the slipcase then it should be sent that way
That's great news then, because I'm trying to collect the entire Sony Classics wave, and HMV's shops seem to be the only one who have them all with slips (Amazon and Zavvi are hit & miss).

What will be the difference between this and the site already in operation??
The HMV Store is the Official on-line UK Shop
Its simply the on line shop that was taken offline back in operation

You now have 2 Official on line Shops
Hmv Ireland
Hmv Ireland Online Limited

HMV UK Store.HMV
The UK online Shop is run by 2015 HMV Ecommerce Limited

You also have Xtra-vision UK and Ireland
Xtra-vision is part of HMV in Ireland
Hmv Ireland Online Limited

Hilco Capital owns both HMV UK/Ireland and Xtra-vision

Hilco UK own HMV UK

Ireland - Hilco Capital Ireland own HMV Ireland and Xtra-vision Ireland

Reason for different websites is that HMV UK and HMV Ireland are although part of Hilco Capital they are separate registered companies in UK and Ireland

The Difference will some items for sale will be HMV/Xtra-vision only as they get Xtra-vision exclusives
So you will see listings on Xtra-vision and HMV Ireland that you wont see on the UK Store.HMV

You also will see listings that will be only on HMV UK
So some items might at first be on the UK site and be UK only
Note some listings might at a later stage appear on HMV Ireland

Last edited:
So pleased they are back in all honesty. Before they went under a few years ago they were one of the best online retailers, so hopefully this means they will return back to how it used to be. Regular discount codes, more well priced exclusives and competivbely priced items.

Hopefully this will make Zavvi look a bit more at some of the prices they charge. £19.99 for Jurassic World 3D exclusive Steelbook.... if that was Zavvi that would've been £24.99 easily!

Has anyone been able to sign in to the new site with their existing account? Mine works fine on the Xtra-Vision site, but it's not having it on the HMV one. :confused:

As reported in the Jurassic World Thread , they charge in full up front if you use the PayPal option at Checkout , and once authorizing the payment takes you back to the start of the process, so you could order / pay twice.

None of these problems if you just use a credit card.

Does anyone know how or of the double points for Blu-rays work on the site?

I've pre-ordered Jurassic World, but it only says 1999 points rather than 3998 on the listing

Unless there's something in the FAQs I've missed, this should be the same as the stores

That's great news then, because I'm trying to collect the entire Sony Classics wave, and HMV's shops seem to be the only one who have them all with slips (Amazon and Zavvi are hit & miss).

Numbered 1 - 20 in the lovely glossy embossed white/gold slipcovers?
Any others available to your knowledge - number 21 onwards?
There should be no problem finding all of these in the collection complete with slipcovers because as far as I remember they are all sealed OVER the slipcover (unlike most where the slipcover slips over the sealed Amaray)..

Last edited:
Received my very first order from Store.HMV.com ('The Stranger' 1946 Dual Format) for the very decent price of GBP 9.99 (GBP 21.99 on Amazon!).

Excellent thick cardboard wrap packaging for the Amaray so I'd imagine the same excellent packaging for steelbooks ordered from the site.

Another plus, for those for whom this matters, is the familiar HMV barcode sticker on the front.

P.S. For those of you who had an order in for the Mr Bongo 'The Stranger' and had their order cancelled by Amazon like I did I'd just like to say that I emailed Mr Bongo Films about this and was informed that they have cancelled this release.
The Odeon Blu-ray + DVD is available with the best price of GBP 9.99 at the time of ordering on the 14/6 at HMV online - ordered with 'House of Mortal Sin/The Confessional' 1976 (Odeon), 'Zombie Holocaust' 1980 (88 Films Italian Collection No.5) and 'X-Ray/Hospital Massacre' 1982 (88 Films Slasher Classics Collection No.9). ALL PRICED @ GBP 8.99 each. Thank you HMV for the decent prices.
I can already see price movements of certain Blu-rays that I've been following on Amazon now reduced to match your prices. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Numbers 1 - 20 in the lovely glossy white/gold/blue slipcovers?
Any others available to your knowledge?
They're the ones mate... they look great all lined up together. I always notice quite a few amarays with slips when I go in store, but it's been a while since I last went in, so I couldn't name the titles unfortunately.

You should be aware that it can take three days for HMV to reply to a 'Contact us' message - I'd say that Zavvi has competition!

My experience with xtra-vision has not improved, I strongly dislike the use of A1 mailers, I had a replacement from xtra-vision finally sent out after informing them I had returned my damaged steelbook a while ago. The replacement was damaged, so again in the same situation, I have now asked for a refund to end this. Xtra-Vision may offer some discounts for steelbook pre-orders but not worth the trouble anymore, I'm sticking to going to my local HMV store and trying the newly launched HMV #store.

My experience with xtra-vision has not improved, I strongly dislike the use of A1 mailers, I had a replacement from xtra-vision finally sent out after informing them I had returned my damaged steelbook a while ago. The replacement was damaged, so again in the same situation, I have now asked for a refund to end this. Xtra-Vision may offer some discounts for steelbook pre-orders but not worth the trouble anymore, I'm sticking to going to my local HMV store and trying the newly launched HMV #store.
HMV Ireland use a cardboard similar to amazon with steelbook wrapped with bubble wrap well they have done with my last 3 recent pre orders for steelbooks
I'm surprised Xtra-Vision did not use the same packaging as they ship from the same location in Tallaght Dublin and orders would be handled by the same people

HMV UK were never great for packaging and if HMV UK are going to be using the previous HMV branded packaging thats just a HMV branded cardboard A1 Mailer

HMV Ireland use a cardboard similar to amazon with steelbook wrapped with bubble wrap well they have done with my last 3 recent pre orders for steelbooks
I'm surprised Xtra-Vision did not use the same packaging as they ship from the same location in Tallaght Dublin and orders would be handled by the same people

HMV UK were never great for packaging and if HMV UK are going to be using the previous HMV branded packaging thats just a HMV branded cardboard A1 Mailer

The first one was sent similar to Amazon, no bubblewrap and was damaged, I assure you the replacement was sent in an ordinary A1 mailer, I'm certain there was no bubblewrap, no surprising they did not do any better with the replacement, dents/dinges yet again, I'd say it was even worse packaging the 2nd time.

Maybe it's down to mishandling or a bad batch even before their sent but could be happening in the post too, I wish retailers would not use any kind of mailer for steelbooks.