HMV / Xtra-Vision - SteelBook Retailer Thread [UK/Ireland]

This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks. As of 8/29/2013, the site says they are working on improved website.

images

Important:

This store ships UK/IRELAND ONLY.

HMV UK : http://www.xtra-vision.co.uk/Search/Results?term=steelbook
HMV IRE: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook OR http://www.hmv.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook

Typical example of packaging:
63qlg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one was sent similar to Amazon, no bubblewrap and was damaged, I assure you the replacement was sent in an ordinary A1 mailer, I'm certain there was no bubblewrap, no surprising they did not do any better with the replacement, dents/dinges yet again, I'd say it was even worse packaging the 2nd time.

Maybe it's down to mishandling or a bad batch even before their sent but could be happening in the post too, I wish retailers would not use any kind of mailer for steelbooks.
I use HMV Ireland and they use cardboard mailers with bubble wrap

Be prepared for HMV UK packaging as unless they changed their packaging it will be as it was before a cardboard mailer with HMV logo on it

HMV Ireland
New Packaging for Steelbooks :thumbs:
10628531_10207056764798101_5594770575521575708_n.jpg 11933382_10207056764838102_994428075829888614_n.jpg 11225430_10207057087606171_1367892007828157560_n.jpg

Fits through your letterbox :thumbs:
This is packaging HMV Ireland are using

Note
Xtra-vision Ireland and Xtra-vision UK might use same or different packaging than HMV Ireland
So you may not get the same type of packaging if your order from Xtra-vision Websites

Note
Packaging can change with a retailer at any stage or they use different packaging at times depending on stock level of a particular type of packaging

Last edited:
Just a heads up to be wary of HMV's instore returns policy, similar tale to post #430 at Llandudno branch today, where I'd bought 2 copies of Jurassic World last Week.
Dreaded dings in the edges of both copies (under J-Card so not visible prior to purchase). Not horrendous but noticeable, so returned & requested exchange for the 2 in stock.
Assistant refused as cellophane had been removed and inferred I'd used the UV copy, therefore no exchange (even for same title).
Assistant added the caveat "I'm not saying you have".
However, the inference from the assistant was clear.
I reiterated the issue was with the Steel packaging itself, and not having the benefit of X-Ray vision I wasn't able to see the dents before opening.

Not budging, assistant then suggested I'd dropped the Steel books & was returning them for new copies (again inferring foul play).

Needless to say, i was bloody furious.

After many Years shopping at HMV instore and online, this is the first time in a long time I've had to return anything instore, but I'm now going to deal online only where the returns process, although slightly cumbersome, at least I don't feel like I'm on trial...

Last edited:
My local HMV store is closing on Saturday also.

This is a full HMV store not Xtra-vision or hybrid store.

Shocking. Only reopened it's doors in 2013.

I've been told xtra vision online is not in liquidation and different company so are they having a sale and lots reduced?
Will the stuff be more reduced?

I've been told xtra vision online is not in liquidation and different company so are they having a sale and lots reduced?
Will the stuff be more reduced?
Hmv Ireland and Xtra-vision websites
Same websites run by hmv Ireland Online Limited
Stock listings the same just different website names
They do have a sale at the moment mostly DVD been reduced a lot but there is some blu-rays and a few steelbooks with prices reduced

Lot of the stock reduced is from the xtra-vision stores that was closed and some is ex rental stock
Store Liquidation Sale
http://www.hmv.ie/lp/movies-games-entertainment/biggest-ever-sale?path=offers
http://www.xtra-vision.co.uk/lp/xv-movies-games-entertainment/store-liquidation-sale

Last edited:
Just got my Martian steelbook and Sherlock Series 1 steelbook from hmv.com and the Martian came without any cellephane and Sherlock came without any cellephane on it but placed in an odd small clear plastic bag. So I presume Ive got some that people have had and returned? Has anyone else had this? Dont mind too much but do think its a bit cheeky to send them out like that when you think you are buying new

Just got my Martian steelbook and Sherlock Series 1 steelbook from hmv.com and the Martian came without any cellephane and Sherlock came without any cellephane on it but placed in an odd small clear plastic bag. So I presume Ive got some that people have had and returned? Has anyone else had this? Dont mind too much but do think its a bit cheeky to send them out like that when you think you are buying new

Yeah, it's cheeky sending out customer returns when thinking it's new stock...Happened to me, open with a spine cut. I sent it back.

With Xtra-Vision can you update a pre-order with your new details? I wanted to update my card details and have contacted their store several times over the past several days and heard no reply.

Closure of HMV Ireland in 2016
In July 2016, HMV Ireland and its financier Hilco Ireland announced it intends on withdrawing from the Republic of Ireland marketplace and to focus its business in Ireland as a streaming service. The remaining five stores will close before year end. HMV plan on launching a new digital service (HMV Digital) where people can stream, rent or purchase music and films online. The new HMV digital service will launch in the Republic of Ireland before rolling out into the UK and Canada

Now four of HMV's five remaining stores on the island of Ireland are set to close over the next few months, with offers in place for sales to other retailers, McGowan said

The Belfast store, the largest HMV store in the world, will remain open. The four Republic of Ireland stores, employing 45 people (35 part-time) will shut.

http://www.independent.ie/business/...retailer-takes-on-netflix-giant-34869715.htmlhttp://www.independent.ie/business/...retailer-takes-on-netflix-giant-34869715.html

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Closure of HMV Ireland in 2016
In July 2016, HMV Ireland and its financier Hilco Ireland announced it intends on withdrawing from the Republic of Ireland marketplace and to focus its business in Ireland as a streaming service. The remaining five stores will close before year end. HMV plan on launching a new digital service (HMV Digital) where people can stream, rent or purchase music and films online. The new HMV digital service will launch in the Republic of Ireland before rolling out into the UK and Canada

Now four of HMV's five remaining stores on the island of Ireland are set to close over the next few months, with offers in place for sales to other retailers, McGowan said

The Belfast store, the largest HMV store in the world, will remain open. The four Republic of Ireland stores, employing 45 people (35 part-time) will shut.
WOW. I knew it was only a matter of time. I always said it. The stores in Ireland were a joke. Never really gave their Blu Ray section the attention it needed.

I wonder will the Xtra-Vision and HMV websites go now also?

They should have their UK site ship worldwide as that the carries the exclusives. I think they're missing a trick there.......

Reactions: paulboland
WOW. I knew it was only a matter of time. I always said it. The stores in Ireland were a joke. Never really gave their Blu Ray section the attention it needed.

I wonder will the Xtra-Vision and HMV websites go now also?

They should have their UK site ship worldwide as that the carries the exclusives. I think they're missing a trick there.......
I have asked that question on HMV Ireland facebook page about the on-line store they might not be happy I have announced about the closure of the HMV stores as I'm sure a lot of customers not aware it's happening

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Are you sure it's the largest. It's never seemed that big to me!
After closer of the original Oxford Street store Belfast Store became the largest one
You can have a very large store it don't mean it has more stock than another store so a large store can seam smaller than another one that looks bigger even though it's smaller