Home Theater Setup Question

Sep 23, 2013
In a few days, I'll need to disconnect my home theater system in order to move it to make room for a cabinet which will hold the system.

I'd like to know if there are any movies that have a setup test which will play a tone or static in each speaker to ensure each one is connected properly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

usually the receiver will do that for you should your receiver be capable of that. Both my Denon and my previous Onkyo had that option. fyi

Thats more about sound acoustics though. To just know if they are properly connected will just simply be hearing output from them.

I reconnected all my speakers and I put in an old DVD (What Lies Beneath) as it has a DTS test on the disc. I'm hearing sound out of all the speakers.

My blu-ray player is internet capable, so I went to Youtube and searched for a dolby dts test .

The front right and left as well as the center all have sound coming out of them when each speaker is highlighted. I'm not hearing anything out of the back two speakers.

My receiver is 7.1, but I am only using 5.1 at the moment. According to the setup instructions, I should use the surround left and right connections since I have only 5 speakers.

I'd really like to make sure that the speakers are setup properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure your surrounds are not connected to the rear surround spots. Those two slots are for your 6th and 7th channel. What receiver is it?

Also, I'm not sure Youtube is reliable enough to do sound tests. If anything your receiver should have a tone test to verify whether your speakers are working.

Try on a BD and listen to your speakers carefully. Try out Transformers Dark of the Moon, the first scene should fire up all your channels.

The receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR606. I know that the receiver has an automatic speaker setup. The only problem is that I've moved a few times, and have misplaced the microphone used for the speaker setup.

The receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR606. I know that the receiver has an automatic speaker setup. The only problem is that I've moved a few times, and have misplaced the microphone used for the speaker setup.

Just buy a new mic for it. The receiver test tones are going to give you the best calibration paired to that particular receiver. THIS mic is cheap but top of the line I can assure you. It's very sensitive and picks up everything. I have 2 of these and swear up and down by it.