How do you organise your SteelBook collection?

May 15, 2013
UK
Having just alphabetised my SteelBooks, I started to question whether this was the ideal way to organise my collection...

When my collection was small (read: before PLAY.com flooded us with exclusives in 2012), I used to organise my collection alphabetically based on studio. I would keep all of my FOX, Paramount, Warner Bros, Arrow, and Eureka releases together, then anything else just alphabetically. This even worked well once PLAY started releasing waves, as I could keep similar-looking titles together in their "wave"

Ultimately, alphabetically is the most logical way forward when you have a large collection, although this is not without its problems. For example, do you keep all of your Batman releases together, or split them up so that the first five Batman films are under "B" and the last two under "T" (for The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, respectfully).

Likewise, would you keep both Hulk titles together, or split? Same goes for other titles. What about the various waves (Ie, the Warner Bros Premium Collection or Eureka Masters Of Cinema)? Do you keep them together as a group, or split them apart?

Then there's the films that begin with "The" - There's a lot of them, so do you organise them all under "T", or slot them in amongst the rest of the alphabet according to the rest of the film title (such as "G" for Godfather, The)

Obviously there's no right or wrong way to organise your collection, but I'm interested to know how everybody else organises their collection shelves

Reactions: hiratafabio
I get them all split into VMBs, SBs and MetalPaks, then alphabetically by title. I had some hard time deciding whether I should keep all my Batman together under B or just split them, but I guess it makes more sense to keep them together. I have some SBs that are not sorted because lack of space, so I have to leave them somewhere else.

I keep them in the order in which they are displayed in the Collection Manager on this forum.

However, there are a lot of "The" titles and CM puts those all together, so finding a particular movie you want can sometimes be frustrating, luckily I don't re-watch a lot of my movies because I am always buying new ones, but if you did re-watch this setup could get annoying.

I organize mine the same way I organize my other Blu-rays. Steelbooks which are not part of a series are alphabetical by title on one shelf. Steelbooks in a series (whether in a single case or multiples) go together on another shelf alphabetical by series title. Disney Steelbooks follow immediately after Disney Metal Boxes which are on my Disney shelf. I have the Avengers Steelbooks (IM, IM2 Thor, CA, TIH) displayed partially because they are good looking Steelbooks, partially because I wouldn't know where to put them on the shelf:p

I don't know why but alphabetical has never worked for me, even when I was collecting DVD's. For me it's genre all the way. I've separate sections, Box sets, digis, metalpaks, steels then amarays and they are all categorized separately then by genre. My collection goes something like this:

Music videos, concerts, documentaries, biography, animation, comedy, drama, psychological drama, troubled youths gangs etc :D (yes I have that many), psychological thriller, thriller, horror (lots of sub sections - psychological, supernatural, vampires, horror sci-fi, horror comedies, killers in isolated wilderness types)
sci-fi (invasions, action sci-fi, apocalyptic, fantasy, androids) action, gangsters UK style, gangsters US style

Sorry for the ramble. It can be frustrating at the best of times but I guess I find it quite fun and therapeutic seeing what would go nicely beside each other.

Prime example, I love that my Nightmare on Elm St sits beside Candyman as the themes are very similar or that my Dragon Tattoo trilogy sits snugly beside Zodiac and the Hannibal Lektor movies. But it also bugs me in another way since I started to collect steels. I have my favourite Hannibal movie The Silence of The Lambs up with my steelbooks beside Se7en and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (remake) but Manhunter, Hannibal & Red Dragon are down with the amarays missing one movie from the collection, this really get's on my goat and is part of the reason I purchase so many back catalogue titles in steel. I'm not a huge fan of X-men origins but ever since I got the X-men First Class steel I just had to sell my X-Men box set, grab a cheap copy of X-Men from EBay, then or course X-Men 2 is announced so really I need to own origins don't I? Grrrr.