How do you organize your movies?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
This literally bugs the crap out of me. lol

I'm not OCD enough to care about some faint itsy bitsy scratch on a steelbook, but I am OCD enough that I'm not mixing my steels with my regular blu-rays (plastic)

And same goes with Digibooks.

And when you own a lot of movies like me it all becomes a cluster.

When family comes over its extremely hard to tell them where a movie is because of it. (as I'll get a text at work etc.)

So are you just an A-Z person? Or do you have a method to your madness.

At one point in the DVD days I was very big on organizing my Pacino and DeNiro collection. And inbetween them was HEAT and Righteous Kill. I did this as well with my regular blu's but last year I put Pacino in the A-Z. This year I think De Niro will follow suit.

So I basically have this .......

• SteelBooks & Metals : A-Z
    One rack is Marvel, (all, steels, slips etc) - Tarantino Editions - DeNiro Steels and some Premiums.
  • Then I have regular plastic case versions and slips A-Z
  • And at the bottom of this rack is all Horror in a sub section A-Z , Comedies A-Z, Sports Movies A-Z. Westerns A-Z, Which I'm thinking about saying F it and merging those in the above A-Z
  • Then I have Kids movies A-Z , 3D movies, & Digibooks

I guess the most open change I'd do is saying the hell with it on Genre/Categories and merge them. However I find it that most often since I dont do as much back catalog movie watching that when I want to watch a movie from the collection if its not specific where im going straight to a movie in mind that instead I'm looking for a movie based on a mood. And same with our family visitors as it tends that X person wants to watch a "Scary" movie or a "Comedy". So it seemed easier to just be able to direct them to that sub-section.

Am I crazy? Yes. However any advice? Or share how you organize yours. I think when you own a lot of movies it might even be wise to get the A-Z stick out divider tabs at least it makes it easier for fam. Of course I know where my stuff is located ....

Method in the madness? Absolutely . . . has to be or else chaos would reign and it would be a nightmare of gigantic proportions.

(No DVDs bought unless included with Blu-rays and all films taped from the TV onto SVHS tape in the late 1980s and 1990s relegated last year to the attic to make room for growing Blu-ray collection. The reality is that 420 tapes take up as much space as 1,000 Amarays !).

All Amarays / Steelbooks etc. on shelves arranged in the fashion that suits me best which happens to be a mixture of different methods:
- By Studio
- Alphabetically
- By Country (World Cinema)
- Matching Sets and Collections
- Release Date (Steelbooks)

SECTION 1 = HORROR (divided by studio)

SECTION 2 = SCI-FI (divided by studio)

SECTION 3 = CHILDREN - as in animation etc. (divided by studio)

SECTION 4 = largest group containing DRAMA, THRILLERS, COMEDY, ROMANCE (alphabetically sorted and grouped by main actor)

SECTION 5 = WORLD CINEMA (Japan, China H.K., S. Korea, Thailand, France, Spain, Latin America, Portugal, Italy, N. Europe etc.)

SECTION 6 = COLLECTIONS / SETS
- Eureka MOC numbered spines plus Eureka Classics
- BFI including their "Flipside" numbered spines collection
- Artificial Eye numbered spines
- Studio Ghibli numbered spines
- Sony Classics white and gold numbered spines
- Studio Canal Vintage Classics w/ dated spines
- Arrow / Arrow Academy including their box-sets
- Disney classics numbered spine collection
- Network
- 88 Films (Italian, Slasher, Asia Cinema and Full Moon collections)
- 101 Films (The Cult Movie Collection of mostly 1980's/1990's cinema)
- Powerhouse "Indicator" numbered spines
- Cult Films
- Criterion (U.K.) numbered spines
- Shameless numbered spines
- Mr. Bongo
- Park Circus
- Final Cut (Hammer horror etc.)
- Studio Canal Hammer collection
- Signal One
- Panamint Blu

SECTION 7 = BOXSETS (sorted by studio)

SECTION 8 = DIGIBOOKS / AMARAYS IN SLIPBOXES (sorted by studio)

SECTION 9 = DEAD COLLECTIONS - example being Reel Heroes, After Dark Originals, Zavvi numbered spines, Screen Outlaws and other collections to which there'll be no new additions

SECTION 10 = U.S. IMPORTS (divided by studio)

SECTION 11 = GIFTSETS and oversized items (RAMBO grenade, GODFATHER Bible etc.)

SECTION 12 = STEELBOOKS - most important section . . . (sorted by release date from the first U.K. release in May 2008 onwards . . . with year dividers).
Self-adhesive numbers on the shelf face strips under each steelbook correspond to numbers on a written list as long as the Egyptian Book of the Dead papyrus (lol) and used as an added aid to finding the required steelbook on the shelf without too much trouble.

Any title can be located with this arrangement in a reasonably short space of time and recommended if the collection runs to the thousands :thumbs:

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: AlienKing
Yeah i just put anything new i get wherever i can find a space lol. That's at the point my collection is at now. Lol. I know where everything is so thats the main thing. :rofl:

• Thanks
Don't have mine organized right now other than blu Rays in the living room and steelbooks in my bed room. Any new regular blus I end up just leaving in my room though. We don't have our own place at the moment but when we do I will do it proper.

LMAO!

mines actually by the shoe size.....of the director
:LOL::thumbs:
IMG_4396.JPG

what do you do with novamedia, blufans, etc?
do you organize them by the numbers? I mean it looks strange when John Wick has number 4 and John Wick 2 number 13

Blu Ray Steelbooks A-Z

Then my special editions blu fans / FAC / etc are organized A-Z but grouped by what they are (so FAC all together A-Z, then Kimchi, then Nova then Blu Fans)

A-Z is annoying at times when you get a bunch of new movies and have to shuffle everything along to make room

I suffer through A-Z with regular release stuff, moving and sliding whenever I get a new steelbook.
My premium ones and the specials like the Mondo X stuff go into a wardrobe so that they are out of harms way.

I display mine A-Z with only steelbooks, other metal types and CE, my HD Cases (Plastic) go on a different shelving unit and they are A-Z as well. I get that OCD from back when I used to go into Blockbuster Movies to rent a movie and there entire floor was A-Z. There are subsections in my steelbooks like all of my Mondo's are together and all of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are bunched together. You can see my collection in the video below (watch in 1080p so you can see everything clearly).

I display mine A-Z with only steelbooks, other metal types and CE, my HD Cases (Plastic) go on a different shelving unit and they are A-Z as well. I get that OCD from back when I used to go into Blockbuster Movies to rent a movie and there entire floor was A-Z. There are subsections in my steelbooks like all of my Mondo's are together and all of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are bunched together. You can see my collection in the video below (watch in 1080p so you can see everything clearly).

Oh ma gawd! :ohno::mad: Majority of your steels are not protected. But :thumbs: for protecting Mondo. And a double :thumbs::thumbs: for the Matrix set in the beginning :D

All of my steelbooks are protected, I just don't use poly sleeves, instead I use clear shell slips to protect them.
Yea like the ones i see you have on the Mondo steels. When your camera goes over Mondo steels there is reflection on the spice and i could see the slear shell slips (which i also use for most of my steels). But the rest of your collection doesnt seem to have that.....or i'm blind :cautious::LOL:

Yea like the ones i see you have on the Mondo steels. When your camera goes over Mondo steels there is reflection on the spice and i could see the slear shell slips (which i also use for most of my steels). But the rest of your collection doesnt seem to have that.....or i'm blind :cautious::LOL:
I don't have the spines covered because I won't be able to see what it is so I use three sided protective slips from Steelbook Central, the Mondo's are the same way with three sided slips over the standard slip that it comes with. But yes all of my steelbooks are protected.

• Thanks
I don't have the spines covered because I won't be able to see what it is so I use three sided protective slips from Steelbook Central, the Mondo's are the same way with three sided slips over the standard slip that it comes with. But yes all of my steelbooks are protected.
Ahhhhh that's why. I dont know if you know this but the 'fully enclosed' version has one side completely clean/clear of any glue,etc. So you can actually see what's inside.

Ahhhhh that's why. I dont know if you know this but the 'fully enclosed' version has one side completely clean/clear of any glue,etc. So you can actually see what's inside.
I don't like the fully enclosed versions because if I want to just go and pull one off the shelf and watch it I can't, I'll be there trying to open the thing up and I might drop it and dent the steelbook. Three sided is the best option imo.

• Thanks