How to: Remove SteelBook Cover Guide

Step 1: Open the steelbook

Step 2: Use a flat plastic card, i.e. Library card or Best Buy Reward Zone mini-card.

Step 3: Slide in between the top and bottom near the Spine.

Step 4: Flick it under while sliding toward the Spine, until 2 round edges popped out.

Step 5: Then removed the cover by pushing outward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know

I've been thinking about modifying some of my steelbooks. Mainly because some came with two discs but only have one slot. The other disc comes in a paper sleave. Two of the Pirates of the Caribbean steelbooks came like this and the Nightmare Before Christmass came in opposite way, Case with two slots, but one bluray disc. It be great if I could switch them, then I got to find another plastc caseing with 2 slots for the other one. Also I wonder how I could switch the spine sticker labels without damaging them?

How to Removed Spine Plate Guide

Step 1: Grab a pan of bowl, then boil with water

Step 2: Add soap

Step 3: Remove the 2 covers as shown above

Step 4: Place the plastic cover with the spine facing down

Step 5: Wait at least 5 minutes or so

Step 6: Use a flat plastic card, place them at the very top of the spine

Step 7: Slide it down carefully, so make sure not to bend it

Step 8: Use heavy book put the spine plate flat on the table

Last edited:
Is there any clear dry liquid adhesive I could use instead of double sided tape? And why laminate, unless boiling it removes the gloss coating as well, am I right?

How to add Custom Spine Plate Guide

Step 1: Must print on glossy sticker sheet

Step 2: Cut out the spine sheet

Step 3: Peel the adhesive sticker

Step 4: Paste over the spine plate

Step 5: Get a piece of cellophane double sided tape

Step 6: Paste them behind the spine plate

Step 7: Then laminate on the plastic cover

thanks for the help. i didn't need to boil the label off after all it came off nicely since the label was made of metal. simply split it with a sheet of plastic.I was afraid of melting or warping the inner plastic so i tested my theory. the adhesive was still in tacked so switching labels was a cinch.

I have instructions with pictures of my switcheroo. Check it out
Stuntastik30's How To Modify Blu-ray SteelBook disc holder inlet tray

Last edited by a moderator:
Aluminum Labeling 1/4" Tape with Adhesive for the Spine Plate.

!BgR64egB2k~$(KGrHqEOKj8Er)dq4lPyBLEsi+u-KQ~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/15FT-Aluminum-F...aultDomain_0?hash=item1e595d35a5#ht_719wt_941

Now we're talking. To bad you can't print on it. Try and see if you could find a printable plastic material that allows the image to have transparent parts. If the foil can show through it may give off that metalic look like some labels have ex. Wall-e spine, most of it looks metalic besides the text, or the inside spine of Nightmare before Christmas, the swirls have a metallic shine.

The problem is the spine width are 5.5mm but the foil tape is 4mm or 1/4 inches and jumbo size is 13mm. Not sure how to cut those jumbo size in half. A sharp razor blade might help. I think 4mm looks fine on steelbook. Or try to trim about 2mm from 1/2" one if that helps.

Hey folks - just curious - has anyone tried to remove the front or back on their steelbooks lately?

I got two copies of Transformers amazon.de told me to keep. One is damaged on the front and the other on the back.

I figured I can swap the good panels out to get my close to mint steelbook.

It looks like one needs to start at the edge closest to the spine in order to remove the cover and then work from there.

I might try to remove the dents on another steelbook with a plastic spoon too.