I live in Japan - Ask Me Anything!

what are your favorite drinks there? and post pics ... google image pic results is fine. :) no matter if soda, juice , alcohol

Reactions: dfoles
Have you ever seen a Panty Vending Machine? Follow up - have you used the vending machine?
No, I have never seen a panty vending machine. They are the things of urban legend nowadays. However, there are some shops that have little locking display cases that allow people to put in anything they would like to sell. Think of it as Ebay in a tiny little shop.

In those things, I have seen nude photos of random girls, and worn clothing swatches. Kind of weird.
I didn't buy anything.

Yet. :shy:

• Helpful Post
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
what are your favorite drinks there? and post pics ... google image pic results is fine. :) no matter if soda, juice , alcohol
Good question! I am not a big fan of the typical Japanese drinks like Pocari Sweat or Calpis.
pocari-sweat.jpg
done_large.jpg

I do go in for all the seasonal releases of Pepsi though! They are always a crapshoot. Sometimes a winner, but often a big loser.

0.jpg

I have not tried everything (and this isn't all of them) but for the record, my scorecard is:

Nex Zero - Pales in comparison to Coke Zero
White - Disgusting
Pink - Chemical Strawberries. Not so great
Baobab - Surprisingly good!
Mont Blanc - Chocolately soda. Weird, but my kids liked it!
Dry - Rhymes with Die for a reason
Ice Cucumber - Ridiculously strange taste - I thought it was more like the white part of a watermelon personally, but super refreshing to take a giant swig when it's hot outside!
Blue - Fake candy chemicals
Caribbean Gold - The favorite of what I have tried. I recalled 7Up Gold. Does anyone remember that? Had it in the U.S. when I was really young.

Last edited:
Reactions: C.C. 95
Most Asian titles are very sought after, so living in Japan is there a similar trend for non asian titles

Most Asian titles are very sought after, so living in Japan is there a similar trend for non asian titles
If you are referring to steelbooks, not really. As a matter of fact, I have only ever met two Japanese people that knew what a steelbook was.

But, Japan is fairly obsessed with western media. They love stuff from here, especially anything "cute" or with catchy tunes which is why Frozen is somehow a masterpiece while Tangled was "just OK" here.

Nearing 2:30am here, so I will check back in the thread tomorrow. I expect a bunch of questions, so don't let me down.

I need the coin... My precious....

Reactions: Pud1804
If i would visit Japan this year, and we say i would go to tokio. What would be the coolest thing to watch/visit for me??

Do you ever Dv8 from being mad?

NO! :mad: SO, SHUT UP!

Who is the most respected Japanese actor that the country revers most ?.

By a large margin, Ken Watanabe.

If i would visit Japan this year, and we say i would go to tokio. What would be the coolest thing to watch/visit for me??

For most people. it's simply Akiba or other related places. I always recommend people come down my way into Kansai though. Spending a day or three in Kobe, Kyoto and Osaka is more like being in Japan and less like being in a big city full of Japanese tourists.

Do you love ketchup? :)
Ketchup and I have a very love/hate relationship. I will sometimes go months or years having only what may come on a burger or something else I order at a restaurant and be fine, and then suddenly I will use it on tons of things for a week straight.
You know what I do love though, barbecue sauce! Mmmmmm....

Reactions: Flash
Are you guys got affected by super typhoon Neoguri?
I hope you and your family are fine.

1586v1_20140707stneoguri.png.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.png

Are you guys got affected by super typhoon Neoguri?
I hope you and your family are fine.
1586v1_20140707stneoguri.png.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.png

We were fine here. We had just a bit of rain, and hardly any wind at all actually when the typhoon was over us. My wife was freaking out a couple of days beforehand, but I told her that she always does and that nothing ever comes of it by the time is gets here.
I was right. As always. :oohyeah: (easy to post that since she doesn't read HDN :D)

Reactions: PunkNinja
Is it unusual for a woman to drink beer in Japan?
The reason I ask is that my Sister is currently in Kamikochi, and whenever she orders a beer the server can't stop laughing apparently!

Is it unusual for a woman to drink beer in Japan?
The reason I ask is that my Sister is currently in Kamikochi, and whenever she orders a beer the server can't stop laughing apparently!

No! It's unusual for a woman not to drink beer here. Especially if she has a job. Going out and drinking with co-workers regularly after work is almost an expectation.

Is she ordering in Japanese? Maybe her pronunciation is bad and she's asking for a building.
Additionally, she may be using English and they are simply laughing at that.
Unless you are in a big urban area, as a foreigner, you are always a person of interest and everything you do is amazing.

Reactions: justboy
No! It's unusual for a woman not to drink beer here. Especially if she has a job. Going out and drinking with co-workers regularly after work is almost an expectation.

Is she ordering in Japanese? Maybe her pronunciation is bad and she's asking for a building.
Additionally, she may be using English and they are simply laughing at that.
Unless you are in a big urban area, as a foreigner, you are always a person of interest and everything you do is amazing.

Cool, thanks. :thumbs:
It will be her pronunciation I would assume!
She's fond of trying out the language of whichever country she's in. So it would probably sound funny with a Scottish accent!