Imperfections in Steelbook. How do you deal with it?

Aug 24, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Forget major scratches, dings, and dents. Those are automatic "no-no" for any Steelbook I own.

But what about those fine hairline scratch that you can only see when exposed to a certain light? How about that annoying tiny bump/1 dot paint chip on your steelbook? That little paint defect on Tangled? I find myself increasingly unable to tolerate them. I think my past experience of getting Steelbooks untainted/mint makes me have high expectation for each one that I receive.

So the question is how fussy are you about the mint-ness of your Steelbook? Does it drives you crazy when you get a Steelbook that is not 100% mint? Do you end up buying another one? Get a replacement? Do you convince yourself that it's going to be okay? (It will never be okay! :angry:) I find myself feeling restless and annoyed when I receive one of those duds Steelbooks. How do you cope when your expensive, rare Steelbook is anything but mint?

Reactions: Travis Bickle
I think the best thing you can do is just remember there are bigger and much more important things in life than to worry about a steelbook. Step back and take a deep breath. Its ok. Your not going to die over it. At least I think you aren't.

It sounds to me you are in panic mode. Maybe see a doctor and get some kind of anti depressant. Maybe stop collecting.

Last edited:
I keep most of my steelbooks sealed, so i dont see these fine lines :hilarious:

Anyway if it got no dents scratces paintchips i am satisfied. We should not make this whole thing bigger than it is. ;)

Last edited:
I keep most of my steelbooks sealed, so i dont see these fine lines :hilarious:

Anyway if it got no dents scratces paintchips i am satisfied. We should make this whole thing bigger than it is. ;)

+1:thumbs:btw.- i open all my Steels and if there are lines or paintchips-i don`t care much about it:D

Reactions: Troll2Fan
It is very annoying to have any kind of imperfection on your steelbooks. It can drive you craxy if you worry too much about it. I am ultra fussy and see things other people wouldn't even notice. I try to not worry about it as much anymore, it's not the be all and end all if a steelbook has a slight imperfection.:)

I hardly ever get a steelbook that is completely mint, there is always something but I'm much more relaxed about things such as scratches and paint chips these days, as long as they don't interfere with the front art too much and aren't too big I usually just put up with it, one thing I'l never put up with is dents, doesn't matter how small they just annoy the hell out of me

I admit it does annoy me I think everyone has their own standards. I do believe I have OCD symptoms I think dents spoil a Steelbook totally but tiny paint chips sometimes are unavoidable. Unfortunately not many things you buy these days is perfect it's a throwaway world we live in. I agree with an earlier post you have to put it into perspective it's a steel case with a bluray it's not life or death. I admit it bugs the hell out of me it's the dissapointing aspect of being a collector as you look forward to receiving a new steel then you get that let down if it's damaged. That is why sometimes if I spot steelbooks instore ie HMV & they are mint would rather pay a bit more than worry about damaged packaging.

Could some one please confirm if they have an open copy of Kick Ass IT open.

If so does the back data sheet come off or permanently stuck on?

Thanks

I stopped collecting....never been happier!!

Happier or wallet heavier?

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

I agree with all of your points - I think dents are such a heartbreak for steelbooks. Hairline scratches i can deal with its the ones with huge scratches i can't deal with. Unfortunately i used scissors to open my; Japanese - Dark Knight steelbook to only have scissors running down the part where you open the steelbook :(

I learned to really not care about imperfections on my steels. Since I open most of my steels nowadays, finding a totally mint steel is such a good feeling. I couldn't believe it when my Thor 2 didn't have a single imperfection. But if it did, a paint chip or scratch isn't the end of the world.

Unless it's crazy noticeable I don't really care. I care more if the spine is damaged. If the spine is really messed up I'll usually try and get a exchange or refund.