Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2017
Release date: February 2020
Purchase link: SOLD OUT
Price: $46.99

EA840497-8487-43D7-85F6-721C135C3732.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I fork out an eye watering amount of cash for a UHD premium then I expect the UHD to have an equally eye catching improvement and audible difference.
That's fair. I have not seen the 4k version of the film but I'm sure the difference is noticeable. To date I haven't seen a 4k that isn't an improvement over the same BD, I think finding one would be near impossible.
The price bump for the 4k version to be included vs no 4k in recent HDZ offerings is not that eye watering, is it?

• Thanks
Reactions: StifflersDad
I got all the 4K Nolan films at Christmas and only the Batman ones really impressed me, neither Inception or Interstellar blew me away unfortunately

I think there are plenty that offer little or no noticeable improvement. I've already seen a few that I greatly regretted buying such as Jason Bourne and Serenity. Now I make sure I read up fully before spending money on them.
I find it hard to believe there's "plenty", I'm not buying that. I'll take your Jason Bourne claim as being one of those that "offer little or no noticeable improvement" and since my Bourne collection is still sealed I'll read (with a grain of salt) what one of the reviewers mentioned earlier had to say about it vs standard BD. I will see myself one day if I agree or not.
Here's a couple quotes about PQ: "'Jason Bourne' already looks really good on Blu-ray, but this 4K version adds noticeable detail, depth, inky blacks, and the kind of deep color that can only be found with 4K HDR. The black levels, in particular, are a huge advantage over the Blu-ray version".
"Is the 4K version leaps and bounds better than the Blu-ray? Well, not really, but that's more to do with how good the Blu-ray transfer came out than anything faulty about the 4K version. Bottom line is, if you want the best-looking home video version of this movie, go with the 4K release."
From the review found at highdefdigest

Just goes to show how good a particular media can be quite subjective at times. I'll make my own mind up when I unseal mine, but on paper, any UHD should be, at the very least, as good as a BD, and that's if they've done a terrible job.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think of those that have stellar quality BD releases and with good 4k upscaling that its harder to see the upgrade. The HDR should be more noticeable though.

• Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
Remember that professional reviewers usually have top quality equipment properly calibrated and the incremental improvements on some average UHDs they make out will be mostly lost when viewed through your normal home cinema setup.

I have to agree with @ChrisIW
I have around 25 UHDs and majority of them especially of recent movies the difference between the UHD and the 4k upscaled BD is very minimal.

• Thanks
Reactions: harry
If you have a projector you will see a very big difference with 4K versus Blu-ray. If you have a tv that is 75 inches or smaller the difference wont be as much in resolution but the HDR will be a big difference.

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
If you have a projector you will see a very big difference with 4K versus Blu-ray. If you have a tv that is 75 inches or smaller the difference wont be as much in resolution but the HDR will be a big difference.
I have a 4k HDR Panasonic 58 inch TV and a Benq 4K HDR projector onto a 80 inch screen and on both the difference is sometimes minimal. In fact in some wierd way the new Die Hard 4k disc looks worse than the normal Blu-ray.

Personally, the biggest upgrades I've seen so far are Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan. Thor Ragnarok was pretty good improvement in details too, considering it's an upscale from 2K.

Anything Nolan, we're in. Right @Collector03601 ?

Thumbs all the way up! This film deserves it 100%

hope with the artwork of the premium collection mediabook

That would be sweeeet! Could make a nice lenticular of Cobb standing in the water with buildings in back, nice depth effect....

Just release a Fullslip Edition of Prestige already... nolans best film after Interstellar imo

Shame that wont happen, but I would be so in if someone did The Prestige too. Very underrated Nolan film imo.

Sean, that's instantly better than any artwork in the steelbooks available right now (at least that I've seen).

Reactions: SEAN3431476
Status
Not open for further replies.