Inception Discussion - *SPOILERS*

Apr 2, 2009
alright, most of you should have seen the movie by now, and if you haven't. screw you.

everything below this part of the post will be spoilerific...

so whats the general consensus on this forum? was the whole movie a dream? was the top at the end ready to fall?

personally i think nolan made enough references to the 3 or so main theories that you could make a good effort for any of them to be the truth. i think him being in the dream the whole time is too boring to be honest, so i think the end was reality

I loved this movie and am thinking of going again. I've read alot of discussion about this film on other forums and around the web and the big issue people are having with the film is the lack of character development. pffft, I could care less.

I'm with you on this one Top. I believe the end to be reality as well. He did afterall finally get to see his kids faces.

right. i think nolan left enough there as well for us to draw the conclusion that he finally was back in reality. here are the reasons why:

his wife was not there in the end. some may say that when he confronted her he finally let her go, but im not so willing to just assume that. if he was dreaming i bet she is still in his dreams.

while we did not see the top stop spinning before the movie ended, if you assume that the movie would continue after he eventually would have tried the top again. since the movie ended, i took that to mean the plot development ended. if the character would go back and see the top never stop spinning, there would be more to the movie.

as GB said, he saw his kids faces.

there might be more, but thats all i got from just one viewing of the movie. i dont think it was one of the best movies of all time, but it was VERY entertaining. sometimes people get caught up in all the technicalities of a movie, but this movie was captivating and just fun to watch. ill prolly see it again, but not in theaters

personally i thought he went back to reality, but what i dont understand is how the rest of them got back so quickly and leos charachter found the old china man so quickly lol

i thought it was a awesome, one of the best i have seen in a long time, its refreshing that we get treated to something new and not the same stuff just re done and re done.

personally i thought he went back to reality, but what i dont understand is how the rest of them got back so quickly and leos charachter found the old china man so quickly lol

i thought it was a awesome, one of the best i have seen in a long time, its refreshing that we get treated to something new and not the same stuff just re done and re done.

What do you mean they got back quickly?? A few hrs of sleep could seem like years in a dream. Depending on how deep you go. Leo had 3 dream levels at the end so it seemed like forever but really wasnt in reality

What do you mean they got back quickly?? A few hrs of sleep could seem like years in a dream. Depending on how deep you go. Leo had 3 dream levels at the end so it seemed like forever but really wasnt in reality

yah, the chinese man died only a few minutes before leo went into the subconscious level after him, and it ended up being a long time cause he was extremely old by the time leo's character found him.

yah, the chinese man died only a few minutes before leo went into the subconscious level after him, and it ended up being a long time cause he was extremely old by the time leo's character found him.

The Japanese man was in lingo right? because he died in his dream?

Say What?! Chris Nolan Stole Inception From Disney Comic???

13231donald_duck_inception_e2ba__oPt.jpg

Okay, so there is this crazy rumor going around that the concept for Inception actually came from an old Disney comic book called Uncle Scrooge in The Dream of a Lifetime.

Totally crazy, right? C'mon, this is Chris Nolan! He would never do a thing like that, right? Right?!

Well…

Okay, no. He didn't steal the idea from the comic. At least, no one can prove that. But regardless, there are enough similarities between the two to keep one guessing.

The story in the comic follows old Uncle Scrooge as his dreams are infiltrated by the evil Beagle Boys. They throw themselves into Scrooge's dream in order to extract the combination to his vault door.

Theft through dream invasion. Sounds familar, doesn't it?!

And look at the screencap from the comic above! Those machines look awfully similar, if you ask us! Really all Uncle Scrooge seems to be missing is the advent of CGI and the dashing good looks of Tom Hardy.

So could it be true? Could Chris have jacked his hyped up, high concept flick from a children's book? Do you remember how you got the idea, Christopher? Or even how you got here, with a #1 movie at the box-office that wasn't already based on a previous franchise???

Thoughts???

We just saw this yesterday-very engaging and intense. I think the end was reality, because right at the end, the top looks like it is going off-kilter. Plus I think they said in his "dreams" he never sees his kids' faces. But at the end they turn around and look at him. Of course, it could be a "projection". I really enjoyed the psychological complexity of this film-bravo Nolan!

We just saw this yesterday-very engaging and intense. I think the end was reality, because right at the end, the top looks like it is going off-kilter. Plus I think they said in his "dreams" he never sees his kids' faces. But at the end they turn around and look at him. Of course, it could be a "projection". I really enjoyed the psychological complexity of this film-bravo Nolan!

1) The top started to scramble about to fall once as if it was going to stop and then it began to spin normally as Leo went to grab his kids

2) The kids are wearing the exact same thing as the day he left and doing the exact same thing as in Leo's dreams before turning around. This sort of leads me to believe he is in a dream still.

3) While explaining the chick about the totem Leo said not to let anyone touch it since it's the only thing that can keep you knowing what's reality, at the end the old man spins Leo's totem thus not being able to tell what's reality.

1) The top started to scramble about to fall once as if it was going to stop and then it began to spin normally as Leo went to grab his kids

2) The kids are wearing the exact same thing as the day he left and doing the exact same thing as in Leo's dreams before turning around. This sort of leads me to believe he is in a dream still.

3) While explaining the chick about the totem Leo said not to let anyone touch it since it's the only thing that can keep you knowing what's reality, at the end the old man spins Leo's totem thus not being able to tell what's reality.

pretty sure you can't touch the totem in the real world. they weren't in the real world when he touched it. at least thats what i remember when going over thousands of posts of theories :p

pretty sure you can't touch the totem in the real world. they weren't in the real world when he touched it. at least thats what i remember when going over thousands of posts of theories :p

He never really say if it was only in the real world. All I heard last night was "Don't let anyone touch your totem" :D

this what Dileep Rao had to say about the movie and some of the theories:

For me, though, this film could say "It's all a dream" and I would feel even more satisfied. Because the premise is "through a very complex dream, we can enact real change in a character." All of the sudden it's not a fake-out bullshit journey, if that's the case. In other words, if I'm satisfied by the success of Fischer's transformation, then Leo's growth is just as satisfying.
But he doesn't have to be dreaming for that growth. If, by way of example, in the last scene where Cobb ran off to hug his kids, there were a reflection of Mal in the window? That would make it far more vague and I'd say, sure. But that's not there.

Close your eyes and listen to the sound at the end. I really do think the top wobbles and that it's real. Cobb does go on a journey, because that's what movies are, and I think that's what leads audiences to this kind of speculation. Because of the story he chose to tell, Nolan is also commenting on the nature of stories themselves, all stories, which is why Leo's change can't be evidence that it's all a dream.

To me, the real story all boils down to Saito's line in the helicopter. Leo wants to go home and see his kids. Saito says, "I can help you, but it'll have to be an act of faith." Leo has to trust Saito, and he does this while putting total faith in himself and the team, and everything goes apeshit wrong, but he has to believe that if he does the job, Saito will do what he promised. And they've grown, they've become friends, which is why Leo says "Come back and let's be young men together." Leo's follow-through on that act of faith is his transformation. He becomes a person who can take a chance.

There's also kind of a beautiful negative symmetry between that leap of faith, and Mal begging him to make a similar leap of faith. After he did that with her, and the guilt plagues him, he can't function anymore. He's exploring his memories in a dangerous, unhealthy way, and he's going to let that go by the time the movie's over.

Everyone's so concerned about whether the top falls or not, but no one seems to care that Leo walked away without caring. The moment he sees their face, he can walk away. That's testimony to the fact that he's gained that faith.

heres a link to the whole discussion. pretty interesting.

nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/inceptions_dileep_rao_answers.html