Aug 25, 2011
Hong Kong
Release date: 8th April, 2015
Price: ¥ 6,253
Purchase link: Amazon JP

whv.jpg

81XFdPqSwTL__SL1500_.jpg 51JWsiy5a1L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks identical to the U.S. Target version with the addition of a booklet.
(And the Target has 2 Blu discs and 1 DVD)
Also of note: This film is jointly distributed by Paramount and Warner Bros.
One HDN Member mentioned that the domestic (U.S.) Paramount distribution and transfer may differ from the (European) Warner Bros. distribution and transfer, inferring that the Domestic Paramount versions tend to have better quality transfers. (If I find the thread, post, and member who wrote that I'll post an edit.):)

Last edited:
Looks identical to the U.S. Target version with the addition of a booklet.
(And the Target has 2 Blu discs and 1 DVD)
CC, yep, looks that way-he contributed info for our members looking for various eds of Interstellar-a little thank you was in order:)

Reactions: C.C. 95
Let us hope there are more worthy pickups. Some nice ones already....gone for FS Steel, UK Digi and Neo from WM myself...part of me screams "NO MAS!" lol.
@digitalbabe
I'm almost identical. I've gone FS, NEO, TARGET.
The UK Digi seems SO similar to the NEO. Seems like the booklet is just Attached rather than with it!
(Don't get me wrong- looks beautiful!)
I hope no one else comes out with some killer alternate steelbook! (Don't Taze My Wallet, Bro!!):rofl::LOL::woot::hilarious:

The thing is if JP edition isn't have anything extra special, might not be ordering since the price is quite expensive than others...
IF the JP has a booklet that the Target version does not- I'll call it a wash - because that will probably be the same booklet I will be getting in the Walmart Neo Pack.;)

One HDN Member mentioned that the domestic (U.S.) Paramount distribution and transfer may differ from the (European) Warner Bros. distribution and transfer, inferring that the Domestic Paramount versions tend to have better quality transfers. (If I find the thread, post, and member who wrote that I'll post an edit.):)

Euuuuu @C.C. 95 Can you translate that in english for me :wow::sorry:

but what does that mean ''and be likely to have superior transfer...'' I am not getting the transfer part I feel not too bright right now :confused:

but what does that mean ''and be likely to have superior transfer...'' I am not getting the transfer part I feel not too bright right now :confused:
Transfers don't all come from the same source. Example: it is well known that Japan's transfer of T2 is the gold standard, while other transfers of the same movie have been made from more inferior materials.
Another example- for years Alliance in Canada has been making inferior Blu rays from 'interlaced' (rather than 'progressive') sources meant for HD broadcast. They are allowed to do that. But even though it is the same movie as you might buy from Japan (let's say BLADE), one is a stellar transfer from A+ sources (Japan's) and one is an interlaced mess than was only meant for early interlaced HD broadcast (and incorrectly ratioed as well!)
Paramount may have a better track record of scrutizing their transfers. (I would have to compare)
With Interestellar- since they split territories, they (Paramount & Warner) will likely have two totally different transfers. Paramount's in North America and Warner's everywhere else.

@C.C. 95 Thanks so much for that explanation, but now that we are so far ahead and already some heading towards 4K, wouldn't it be a standard to have it done as you say from Progressive source like Paramount will do in North America ? so since it has been said that the Warner version is inferior quality, does that mean they used Blu rays from interlaced sources ?

Am I getting this right ? And is this something we should be concern with in this day and age on a regular basis ?

@C.C. 95 Thanks so much for that explanation, but now that we are so far ahead and already some heading towards 4K, wouldn't it be a standard to have it done as you say from Progressive source like Paramount will do in North America ? so since it has been said that the Warner version is inferior quality, does that mean they used Blu rays from interlaced sources ?

Am I getting this right ? And is this something we should be concern with in this day and age on a regular basis ?
@Actarus,
I have no idea about either of their transfers. They likely will come from the same source, and could also both be great transfers. An HDN member had mentioned earlier in a thread that on movies that Paramount & Warner had split between territories he saw a difference in quality. I was simply repeating that. As for the Canadian interlaced BDs, they stopped doing that. (As far as I know, no one is putting out interlaced BDs). Both Paramount and Warner Interstellars will be progressive.
Transfers are like Mastering an audio CD- it matters who is at the controls. Example: the team who did the first PATTON BD obviously thought the DNR was a great improvement.:wtf:
As for 4k- I don't even think about that. Many filmmakers and cinephiles believe we have reached the zenith with 1080p, and that 4k & HFR is too far on resolution. (Even James Cameron is pulling back on HFR)
That is subjective, of course.
Virtually nothing is available in 4k, and broadcast 4k is not going to be widely available or even produced in any sizable quantity for some time. Even the biggest events, like the Super Bowl and the NFL, have not even committed to 1080p!
If it becomes a real factor, I don't see it being so for at least 5 more years. If 4k and curved screens seem gimmicky, well...(any A/V expert will tell you that curved is distorting your image) and 4k to me, looks like looking out a window (in the worst possible way). James Cameron said (paraphrasing), that the clarity takes away the illusion in a movie- you are no longer seeing characters in a magical realm, but actors in makeup on a set.
We, as consumers, have no control as to where things will end up in this regard.
We shall see.:D
For the future of movies and James Cameron see:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/james-cameron-says-future-of-movies-will-be-watchi,35935/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Denroc and Actarus
@C.C. 95 WOW Thank you for all that information, it is great to know a bit more. I thank you for your time it took to explain all that to me. And yes I agree, even though I know nothing about it, I also tell/told myself that HD 1080p is so amazing in resolution that how much more can you get. And for the James Cameron comment/paraphrasing on 4K being like taking away the illusion of the movie I can understand what he means, we still like to see that it is a film that we are watching. Thanks for explaining the interlacing and Progressive transfers but I guess I don' think it really matters with the advanced blu-rays and Tvs we have in this day and age. I have never been disappointed in a Blu-ray movie. So even if one would technically be better than the other one, I don't think it really matters when we are at this much resolution for a Blu-ray...well for me anyways. But you as you say no one is putting out interlaced BD's anymore so that should not be a concern. Thanks again 1000 times for the info !!! you are great ! I will look at that article for sure :)

@C.C. 95 WOW Thank you for all that information, it is great to know a bit more. I thank you for your time it took to explain all that to me. And yes I agree, even though I know nothing about it, I also tell/told myself that HD 1080p is so amazing in resolution that how much more can you get. And for the James Cameron comment/paraphrasing on 4K being like taking away the illusion of the movie I can understand what he means, we still like to see that it is a film that we are watching. Thanks for explaining the interlacing and Progressive transfers but I guess I don' think it really matters with the advanced blu-rays and Tvs we have in this day and age. I have never been disappointed in a Blu-ray movie. So even if one would technically be better than the other one, I don't think it really matters when we are at this much resolution for a Blu-ray...well for me anyways. But you as you say no one is putting out interlaced BD's anymore so that should not be a concern. Thanks again 1000 times for the info !!! you are great ! I will look at that article for sure :)
@Actarus you bet! I am nothing, if not a vessel of useless trivia!:LOL: (Truth, I've worked in just about every area of A/V conceivable for the last 28 years).
The great thing is- with technology today we have choices.
And the article I linked is going to make you pee yourself laughing...(not a serious article!!):D

Reactions: Actarus