I Am Iron Man
Visual Effects
Robert Downey Jr. Screen Test
Theatrical Trailers
Galleries
Credits
Iron Man IQ

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the only people putting FS IM in 'grail status' are those who need to justify paying a king's ransom for it.

Things are always getting better. FS IM had its time, but that ship has long sailed.

Blufans has upped the ante. I AM LEGEND, CRYSTAL SKULL were all grails once too.

Actually, so were G1 SteelBooks. :)

@SonicBoom You need to check market in order to make this comment. If you can find a sealed mint copy of FS IM under 500 USD then I will believe you (that it is no longer a grail.) There are some grails in the market and even new ones are printed I believe that their price won't change. Maybe when 4K steels and reprints starts the prices goes down who knows but not yet..

IMO, the only people putting FS IM in 'grail status' are those who need to justify paying a king's ransom for it.

Things are always getting better. FS IM had its time, but that ship has long sailed.

Blufans has upped the ante. I AM LEGEND, CRYSTAL SKULL were all grails once too.

Actually, so were G1 SteelBooks. :)

Many of us agree, that better Iron Man steelbooks are out there, but that doesn't mean the FS version isn't still 'a grail' in collector terms.

No one I know would care if I owned one or not, it wouldn't mean anything to them. It's hard enough to explain why I spend £20 on a Disney steelbook when I already have the titles on DVD or at the very least could pick up the regular Blu amaray for a fiver instead. That said, many of us are pleased for collectors when they pick up FS IM (or any other title they really want) and add it to their collection.

I agree that it's not just the steelbook itself that's the selling point, it's what it represents. I myself have bought things that I had in childhood (and paid too much for as far as others are concerned) because they bring back happy memories. Some of them are 'cheap tat' worth only a few pennies first time round, but they're worth more than that to me now.

Regardless, the FS IM is still desirable to the right collector even if it is technically inferior to some later editions. Think of classic cars, a vintage Aston Martin can go for more than a new one, despite being mechanically inferior in every way. I'd love to own the 1966 Batmobile, rather then the TDK Tumbler, but I can imagine which one is technically better.

I have no desire to own the FS IM. I simply don't like the look of it, I think it looks outdated with the blue banner, and I don't like the thick border, but if someone wants it, and is proud to have it, then that's all the matters.

I actually owned 2. One that was purchased for me for $29.99 +taxes back in the day (30th September 2008 to be precise) and one that was given to me as a gift from Scanavo. I traded one with a friend and I still own the other.
I do wish that it had no blue banner, but the Red has to be seen to be believed. As my ex wife would say, it looks so damned good in the hand, she liked Steelbooks as well ;)

Reactions: Marina Blue
Yesterday one was sold for € 257 ( 314 USD)(201 GBP) in the bay.de however, the seller has delivered only to Germany.
What a fantastic price for a beautiful steelbook.

Everyone agrees that this has aged badly, unlike the Play.com version. And, as much as the price continually falls on this one, it still has its memories. Let's just leave it at that and let it rest.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
Right. One opened and one sealed.

If my memory served correctly, I had..

56x Iron Man
40x Indiana Jones
32x Star Wars: The Clone Wars
50x Wanted (UK)
46x Watchmen
30x Hancock
30x Crepusculo
100x The Dark Knight (FutureShop)
30x The Dark Knight (Germany)

I'm not sure if I had 100x TDK or maybe less :p

John Rambo (Original) was my very first group buy but decided to cancel it due to region locked.

For months after release you could buy them for $40 USD. New, sealed, with the blue sticker. I was shocked when they jumped to $65 and I quit picking up spares. I always loved the color, art inside out, and two discs. :LOL:

Reactions: charlie1533pr
Everyone agrees that this has aged badly, unlike the Play.com version. And, as much as the price continually falls on this one, it still has its memories. Let's just leave it at that and let it rest.

In which aspect do you think it has aged badly? Unfortunately I only own the Korean DVD version, but the latter looks stunning and in my opinion can easily keep up with actual releases. I have the Play and Kimchi one and will also get the Blufans release, but would love to have this one my my collection, too. The only one I don't like and cannot understand the hype about it is the German release.

It's mostly people who don't have it who say it doesn't hold up to the newer releases.
But that is the entire point.

It's only those that do have it that believe it to be better. Newer collectors see it purely for what it is now, rather than through the rose tinted specs of how it was once seen as the ever rising star that continued to grow in value.

The price is falling for lots of reasons. There are now far better versions, and the devaluation on someone's investment is always going to sting.

There are 5 known stages to grief. The final one being acceptance.

It doesn't hold up, IMO, to some of the other versions. No, I don't own it, so feel free to say it's because I'm jealous (even though I don't want it).

I have a few steelbooks in my collection that don't compare to later/different releases and that's okay. That's what happens in this game. I've never bothered to replace them with the better versions (except IM2 - Korean replaced with Play), but if I was looking for them now then I'd make my purchases accordingly.

I remember people going crazy for the white UK Star Trek, so when it was rereleased we were hoping it would be the same but minus the blue banner, sadly it looked the same. I chose the black version because it had no blue banner. I think it's great these days with releases getting multiple artwork choices, and rereleases so that pretty much anyone can get the version they like most (or indeed, all of them).

There was a time when Blu-ray steelbooks were special, and reserved for the best movies and represented the best versions. The FS IM is representative of those times, rightly so. Now, everything (it seems) gets a steelbook whether it deserves it or not.

What I said wasn't meant to be a jealousy thing, but more of a "seen it with your own two eyes" kind of thing.

And this is exactly what I was referring to. I don't need to see it with my own two eyes. I've been collecting SBs long before FS IM and I have seen way better Steels.

The only thing is has is its legacy and for those who like vinyl, so be it. However, to say that it is a grail is now passe.

Yes, it may be a grail to some people -- but does that make it a grail?

I think one of the best SteelBooks ever is FS SLEEPING BEAUTY, or perhaps Blufans OZ or Blufans IM.

Just because it was once a grail doesn't mean that it will forever be a grail, but yes, if I had spent a small fortune on it, I would probably be holding onto the dream a little longer.

What about JOHN RAMBO? I would bet that the majority of collectors today do not have this -- but does anyone even care?

• Informative
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches