I Am Iron Man
Visual Effects
Robert Downey Jr. Screen Test
Theatrical Trailers
Galleries
Credits
Iron Man IQ

Last edited by a moderator:
@SonicBoom You need to check market in order to make this comment. If you can find a sealed mint copy of FS IM under 500 USD then I will believe you (that it is no longer a grail.) There are some grails in the market and even new ones are printed I believe that their price won't change. Maybe when 4K steels and reprints starts the prices goes down who knows but not yet..
One sold recently on UK Ebay for less than £200 new and sealed [emoji6] the price IS falling on it most likely because of Blufans which will become a much harder item to find once sold out across the collecting platforms . Grails do get replaced if something comes along that will eventually be much harder to get. That's doesn't change its status as an original Grail though.

Here's a recent example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371196469175

I think it holds a special sentiment to several long time collectors (and newbies). I for one will still consider buying, but don't want to pay more than $200 for it. Heck, $150 tops lol and it has to be brand new & sealed. That dream will probably be fulfilled next year. I like the steel though, but I think Blufans IM will be the #1, however that doesn't take away from the status of this GEM. I wish FS will put out quality steels like they used to.

If its not a grail anymore then i would gladly buy it 50$ for it. Anyone ? Im collecting steelbook with the french canadian audio (im futureshop is the only im with french canadian audio) i dotn care if he is ****** or sealed or not... I just think the red color is cool

Reactions: Marina Blue
I would say it is $100 grail to me now.

Sure, I am not saying that it is worthless, but is it worth $200+? No way. There is no way to recoup that money now. Everyone who would've paid big bucks for this either already has it, or knows about the new BF version which is newer and cheaper.

Why would anyone pay that much now for this?

Just look at it -- yes, it looks cool. However, if you think this is the coolest looking IM SB, then you're deluding yourself. The Blufans is the exact same artwork, but better. Hands down.

Hey, did anyone notice that Luke Skywalker's haircut is from the 70s? Didn't think so.

But c'est la vie. Win some, lose some. I'm not saying this Steel is worthless, but maybe worth $100 in sealed condition.

Had it, sold it, yes it's a Grail, but John Rambo is THE Grail, not Iron Man

The IM FS steelbook still one the most sought-after steebook. Not the most rare cause it's very easy to find on the bay. But No other steelbook ever made has more re-make than this one. FS, Play, German, 2 from Kimichi (lenti and 1/4) and now 2 from Blufans (lenti and 1/4). 7 releases for a single movie :wow:. Yes, the BF now looks better, it's called improvement but the FIRST is The GRAIL! John Rambo can't touch this!

• Helpful Post
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
The IM FS steelbook still one the most sought-after steebook. Not the most rare cause it's very easy to find on the bay. But No other steelbook ever made has more re-make than this one. FS, Play, German, 2 from Kimichi (lenti and 1/4) and now 2 from Blufans (lenti and 1/4). 7 releases for a single movie :wow:. Yes, the BF now looks better, it's called improvement but the FIRST is The GRAIL! John Rambo can't touch this!

I dunno, I mean, how many versions of Transformers: Age of Extinction are there? More than Iron Man I'd imagine.

Not that it means anything, both are examples of Paramount milking their releases for all they're worth. While AoE has gotten loads of versions now to cash in quickly (it's hardly loved and certainly won't last in people's memory), Iron Man is a licence to print money. It's still one of Marvel Studios most popular movies, and their first title (and thus first steelbook). It makes commercial sense to keep re-releasing it. None of them have been copies of the FS version, but some of them have retained elements of it, so they're not trying to replicate it and Paramount certainly don't care how much the original is worth as it makes them nothing now.

All Paramount wants is to make money, and the retailers do the rest by selecting artwork (from a list I suppose), the finish, inclusion of slips and the type of embossing. Everyone wants to make the most they can, and good luck to them.

The FS IM is still a grail, maybe not as valuable a one as it once was, but it has a lot of fans who want to own it. In steelbook circles, saying you own it can be a point of pride, but it raises eyebrows if you've paid stupid money for it. That said, if you paid $500 a year ago, but could pay$200 now, well, that's collectables for you. It happens all the time. You still have the FS IM, and if that's what you want, really that's all that matters.

Reactions: hatredhorror

3 from blufans including the rejected v1

Nail and head. A sealed mint copy of that "if you can find one" sells for double what Iron Man can fetch. It is rarer and far more expensive making it the ultimate Grail.
Aren't there some that are the "Uncut" version that don't show the proper run time, so the disc inside isn't the uncut version?

• Helpful Post
I did own the FS IM at one time and yes it's a fine example of the quality of steels from gone bye days. But I never liked the Blu banner across the top and was never that fussed about owning it. So I gave it away to a friend who is a fellow collector.
My copy was mint and sealed....

IMO is it worth what the current asking price is, No it's not.
And IMO again I think the Blufans IM will be better and surpass it desirability wise in the future.
That doesn't detract from the fact that it is an orginal Grail. And collectors will still want it in their collection.
For me personally is it the best IM steel out there as a complete package I don't think so...
Blufans will be that complete version and minus that horrendous Blu banner...
Again just my opinion as previously owning a copy of the FS Grail...

Last edited:
You guys are more worried about getting cheap steelbooks than actually coming to terms with what is truly a Grail steelbook. You guys are stating its not a Grail anymore so that prices will go down and basically kill the steelbook aftermarket. The companies aren't helping either with all the re releases, they are effectively helping with the over saturation of the steelbook market. Iron Man FS artwork still hasn't been redone but you never know when it'll happen.

It hasn't been done exactly, no, but the BluFans version is pretty close and frankly a lot better, IMO of course.

The FS version is rare, no one's denying that. It's not the rarest steelbook out there, but it's high up. People are saying it's not worth the current asking point. From a collectors point of view, it probably is (although something is only worth what someone is willing to pay), but from a technical point it isn't (but then no $20 steelbook is).

Just because something is 'a grail' does not mean it's the best example. Look at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The 'grail' is the cup of Christ, not the most elaborate cup on the shelf (as the villain found out). It's the heritage of the cup/steelbook, what that cup/steelbook represents, not the actual quality of the cup/steelbook itself.

There are technically better versions out there, but that takes nothing away from the FS version if that happens to be someones favourite.

Companies don't care what the aftermarket value is of anything. They don't see the profits from it, it doesn't effect their bottom-line. What they do care about (Paramount in this case), is pumping out more versions of a popular movie and making more money themselves.

Personally I don't care if the FS IM is $5 or $500 as I've no interest in owning it. Sure, if I could buy one for $5 and sell it for $500 that would be different, but I don't want to give it shelf space at home as I'm happy with the Play version. I'd be happier with the BluFans version, but not enough to re-buy the same movie again.

Of course, each to their own.

• Helpful Post
A "grail" is constantly definable and re-definable over time.

Something that was a grail yesterday doesn't mean it is a grail tomorrow. Sorry to burst your bubble or anyone else who paid big bucks for this expecting to re-sell it for something more. The value on this SteelBook has peaked. Anyone who wanted an IM SteelBook who didn't have one will now be looking for the BF edition, not the FS edition.

Over time, I would predict the FS IM Steel to probably drop to the same value as the BF Steel.

I would never pay several hundred dollars on a collectible if I wasn't confident that it could retain its value. A SteelBook simply cannot retain its value because (1) they can be reprinted at any time by the studio and (2) there is no established collector's market to validate its value.

To determine value, you and everyone else is just looking at what someone has sold it for last on eBay. There are probably a few thousand SteelBook collectors worldwide.

Do you know how many collectors there are for comic books, coins, classic cars, even toys? A lot more.

Anyone want to talk about G1 SteelBook grails? I didn't think so.

This is a grail.

Regardless of price, it will always be a grail because of what it is, not what someone pays for it.

The time to buy any title is when it was released, not years later.

The value of anything is what someone actually pays for it.

Supply and demand.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: charlie1533pr