Is curved really worth it? UK

Apr 18, 2015
Hi All,

I'm in the process of upgrading my Home theatre system.
I have a old 32" Samsung which at the time was the nuts. Now moved house and need something around the 55" mark, ovs want 4k and 3d.

Samsung have grabed my eye, is the curved glass really worth the extra £300?

The tv will be on a bay window box so curved will look the nuts in there, but i could also easlly have a flat screen.

I was thinking something along the lines off
samsung ue55hu7500
samsung ue55hu8200
lg--55ub850v/950v

as always its down to cost, but i would be happy to pay more to future proof it and to have a much better picture quality. I think i would need a in built 4k upscaler too.

Any thoughts or suguestion?

Cheers

ps i'm in the UK

I'm not sure how much advantage a curved screen gives apart from what you stated, it looks good! I don't have one myself but I believe the benefits are mostly down to it looking visually better rather than enhancing the experience. When you say you need a 4K upscaler in the TV, all 4KTV's already have that. The quality will vary depending on the source, if you put a Blu-ray in you would likely get the best results but nothing will look like proper 4K content.

To simply answer your question, no, the curved glass is not worth the extra 300 pounds.

I donno many that bought it, but I've heard from a couple of people that it's not rewarding for the price. Also, a friend of mine works in electronics department and said to me once it's definitely not worth the extra price tag they put on it. It's simply an 'eye candy' I guess. Even 4K is hyped right now. But you did say you want it to be future proof so I recommend you get the 4K TV. 2 - 3 years down the road, 4K content should be cheaper and available everywhere. Although 4K discs will be out by the end of this year.

4KTVs should already have an upscaler built in, but if you're gonna buy a bluray player, wait until the year end and get a good 4K bluray player as the current bluray players will not play 4K discs.

i think... if you only watch tv alone, curved is a good option.
but if you like to watch tv with friends, than you should avoid it...

(curved screen has a best viewing "point", personally i think curved screen is better for pc monitor... not for tv.)

I'd avoid everything right now.

We're in a transitional period where you could regret any purchase.

You've waited this long, wait a little
longer.

Last edited:
I'd avoid everything right now.

We're in a transitional period where you could regret any purchase.

You've waited this long, wait a little
longer.

That sounds like the best advice frankly.

Industry analysts reckon curved is just a passing fad to draw the punters in, and the prospect of widely available regular 4k broadcast is way WAY over the horizon - as things stand, maybe 25 years off, if at all.
All you're getting now, and for the forseeable future is heavily compressed material that is not really representative of 4k - and if you're viewing on a screen below 65inches, you're wasting your time and money anyway.

No
It's a scam, a marketing gimmick, and offers no benefit to a family/friends stint and the curved screen reduces visability if your not directly in the middle looking at it.

Anyone catch Channel 5's The Gadget Show's recent reviews of these ?, almost everyone hated it......

Not Only a scam- it is worse. Any AV expert will tell you that a curved screen will distort the edges of the image.
And think about it- we have spent 70 odd years with curved screens (CRTs) and finally have Flat screens, and NOW they want us to believe curved is better??
File this with Superbit DVDs and 14k Gold CDs.
Also- don't fall for the current UHDs- OLED is about to be the next standard. (And 65" OLED screens are available in one to two months!!).

I agree I'd never by a curved TV; but in a very unfair test the gadget show compared a flat edge lit LED TV with a curved OLED TV and the curved OLED looked much better.

But that's down to the OLED technology, not the curve. I'm waiting for a nice flat OLED screen!

Would agree with others on this pal when it comes to the viewing angle , a pal of mine has one and unless your sitting central the view aint that great .

I agree I'd never by a curved TV; but in a very unfair test the gadget show compared a flat edge lit LED TV with a curved OLED TV and the curved OLED looked much better.

But that's down to the OLED technology, not the curve. I'm waiting for a nice flat OLED screen!
OLED 65" from LG begins shipping in the next month or two!!!
(About $7000 for the 65")

A friend with way too much money bought a B&O 75" TV recently. I'm sure it's lovely, but I really would prefer (flat) OLED. It's that or search for a big, quality used, plasma

My folks' LG 65" OLED TV is delivered on Tuesday! They are HERE!!!! (I've been following and waiting for this for 5 years!!) See you in the second-place pile UHD! (Along with Beta and HD-DVD)!!

I find the curved TV's a 100% con. Why?. They are trying to mimic the cinema screen but ti can't work as the TV's are too small to give that cinema effect. A gimmick, up there with the Sinclair C5. Give me a high quality flat OLED and I'll entertain it but not this rubbish........